"Software not Updated" and horrible battery drain since security update

eggsbenedict

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, and a week ago I installed the April security update. All was well, it completed the update, but in Settings under "Software Update", it says it failed, with an error code of 401. I know it didn't fail, and that it installed, because "About Phone" shows the correct information with the security patch level as April 1, 2017. I've tried cache clearing and restarting the phone with no luck. I had never heard of this weird issue before, and googling brings up a handful of others who had it but no solutions. Also, since this update, my battery life has tanked. Standby time is still decent but any time I actually use the phone there's a steep dropoff, and my SOT has gone from 5.5-6 hours to less than 4. Anything I can do to fix all these issues short of factory resetting? I attached screenshots from the other day:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 27

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums as a new member. I would go to the nearest Verizon store and let them see the phone. I believe there is a way to reload an OS update but can't recall details at the moment. They may be able to do that as it seems it didn't "take" all the way.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
If it were me I'd just do the FDR, taking the opportunity to clean out the trash while I was at it, but try the Verizon guys, very likely they will say do the reset anyway.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
hmm, you may be on to something, but I'd be curious enough to try the reset anyway. But also wondering what a Verizon store would recommend.
Good luck OP, let us know what you decide and how it worked out.

eggsbenedict

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't even thought of going to the Verizon store but I'll probably do that. It'll be the weekend before I can make it though. I'd rather avoid a factory reset to prevent data loss or possible corruption if something goes wrong. Who knows what parts of the update didn't install all the way.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
HTC used to have the full install ROM as an executable file. not sure if they still do that now. It was called an RUU or ROM Update Utility.
It was meant for stuff like this where a user needed to reload the OS on their phone.