I have the HTC mail app as a fixed app at the bottom of the screen with messages, camera, phone. When I updated last night it deleted the app, so I had to reinstall it and the 7 email addresses with settings. This was annoying and don't understand why this app was deleted. I think all the others are still there.
    All the emails before update are gone, so if I need to find a ticket or something, I cannot do that now.

I looks like it is still closing apps so that only 5 remain open after a few hours of non-use. This started after the last update 6 months ago.

Otherwise everything seems to be the same.
    08-10-2017 10:07 AM
    That's odd -- you had to go to the Play Store to reinstall the stock HTC Mail app? Before this, did you go to the App Drawer to make sure the app wasn't still there? Sometimes, when there's a major update to an app, the shortcut you created on the homescreen will disappear, but the app will still be in the App Drawer.

If you lost emails due to the email app being uninstalled, it sounds like you're using your email provider's POP3 server. I highly recommend using the IMAP server instead, if available. Read about the difference between POP3 and IMAP here: IMAP vs POP3
    08-10-2017 11:58 AM
    Thanks for the response. I checked and nothing was between Mahjong and Maildroid. Now there is.

Can I install AOL accounts using IMAP? I guess I just hit Next instead of Manual Set up and it must have done POP automatically. I will check, thanks.

Any idea about why for the last 8 months, it closes down apps overnight, so that only 5 are still open. I checked all the power settings and posted on here. Someone said they did not have this problem, but it persists. Thanks
    08-10-2017 12:09 PM
    Here are the IMAP settings for AOL: https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do...ve-my-aol-mail. It might have defaulted to POP3.

Regarding the apps closing -- which power settings did you look at? Did you check the Battery Optimization settings? Do you have any 3rd party power-saver or "RAM booster" apps installed?
    08-10-2017 01:35 PM
    When I go to Battery Optimization is says Not Optimized for 10 apps, mostly Android apps, Google Play, messages, download manager. I never touched this, not sure how the others got optimized.
    I had a thread about this after the last update. I think it is just some unusual thing on my phone.

But it immediately closed all but 5 apps overnight, every night, or during the day if no activity.
    Thanks
    08-11-2017 01:15 PM
    I just deleted all the email accounts and added one AOL account using IMAP. I still am only getting emails in/out for the last 3 days. Only Thru August 9.
    I now realize the default is 3 days in the HTC app, I have to change it manually to 30 days or all.
    Its hard to remember all the things you have to fix when an app disappears.
    08-11-2017 01:36 PM
    I just read the POP vs IMAP link above. I must say that I think I had POP for a while and when I delete an email on the phone, it does not show in the deleted items in AOL browser. The comparison seems to say otherwise. I have noticed no difference in POP or IMAP with my AOL mail.
    It says with POP you have to delete on each device. But I find that with POP it deletes it more permanently, at least when deleting using the HTC app.
    08-11-2017 01:42 PM
    With POP3 accounts, you can set it to either delete emails from the server once they've been downloaded to the phone, or to keep them on the server. There might be advantages to doing either of these in certain situations, but there are also serious pitfalls. For example, if the email is downloaded to the phone using POP3 and it's set to delete the copy on the server, then the only place you have a copy of the email is the phone -- and if something happens to the phone, then you've lost that email. Conversely, if you have it set to keep a copy on the server, that means that if you want to delete the email, you have to do it twice -- once on the phone, and once on your webmail interface or desktop client.

On IMAP, the phone's email client is essentially just acting as a mirror for the server. If you're done with an email, you can delete it on the phone, webmail interface, or desktop client -- it doesn't matter where you do it, because that action will be reflected everywhere else. If you want to keep it, you leave it alone.

It's hard to comment on the apps closing automatically. When those 5 apps are the ones left in RAM, how much RAM is taken up? And were those 5 apps open before, or were some of them swapped with other apps you had open?
    08-12-2017 12:05 AM
    1 - Does IMAP use more power than POP. My phone seems to be using battery hugely since yesterday when I switched to IMAP. I could be something else due to the update, but not sure. I have had really good battery time with this phone. But today within 2 minutes of unplugging it was down to 98%.
    App usage looks normal. Screen is showing 44%

2 - I keeps that last 5 apps that I looked at and deletes all the others. It does not matter which ones, but just the last ones. I am not sure how to check RAM, or that that is the issue. This started at the last big update and is continuing now.
    08-12-2017 09:53 AM
    With IMAP, I think you can still select the sync interval, so try changing it to less frequent, in case the battery is being affected by more frequent syncing. Otherwise, I'm not aware of any other reason why IMAP would use more battery than POP3.

Is there a consequence of those other apps being closed out from RAM? Are you trying to keep a certain app on a certain screen overnight?
    08-12-2017 11:03 PM
    Before the update on February I kept twenty or more open and it did not effect the battery. I liked keeping them open.
    But sure how to check ram but doubt that's why it leaves 5 open.
    08-12-2017 11:17 PM
    Going back to the Battery Optimization issue -- it's possible that those apps that used to stay open were not optimized before.
    08-13-2017 10:35 PM
    I don't really know what optimization does but I think I'd rather have them not optimized and stay open. they did not seem to use up extra power.
    08-13-2017 10:57 PM
    It'd be a relatively simple experiment to see what happens if you de-optimize a few apps that you often use, and see if they remain in RAM overnight like they used to.
    08-14-2017 12:12 PM
    The HTC mail app is acting weird. The notifications are definitely off. If I delete an email, it will come up in the next notifications. Just not working as well as it had in the past.

(I still cannot find out why its only keeping 5 apps open after a being dormant for a few hours)
    08-24-2017 04:26 PM
    I wonder if it's a glitch on HTC's side. Send them some feedback about this issue. Is there a way to send them feedback in the mail app's menu?

The issue about closing apps out of RAM might also be something HTC tweaked in their firmware. Not sure how much help you'll get from HTC about that, but you could always try contacting their support.
    08-27-2017 10:45 PM