Hi guys,
    This is my first post to this forum and I am happy to be here and looking forward to be part of the community. But I have been trying to narrow down a decision between a Samsung Galaxy S7 and a HTC 10 for ages but recently I jumped in and decided to order the HTC 10. But now I have regrets over my decision mainly because Samsung is such a big brand wireless charging etc. But I heard the HTC is also a good phone. But just googled reviews for both phones and the S7 got mostly 5 stars while HTC 10 varied between 4-5. Should have read reviews first eh?

So are my concerns dumbfounded and are there any reasons to choose the HTC 10 over the S7? I need reassurance as to return the phone would take a while up to a month to get my refund so would be without a new phone for a while sigh. But if you guys think it would be best to go with S7 over 10 I feel I would go the extra mile. I am generally indecisive so this may be as a result of it.

Thanks for all your input,
    DroidGuy1999
    08-12-2017 04:43 PM
    Hi guys,
    This is my first post to this forum and I am happy to be here and looking forward to be part of the community. But I have been trying to narrow down a decision between a Samsung Galaxy S7 and a HTC 10 for ages but recently I jumped in and decided to order the HTC 10. But now I have regrets over my decision mainly because Samsung is such a big brand wireless charging etc. But I heard the HTC is also a good phone. But just googled reviews for both phones and the S7 got mostly 5 stars while HTC 10 varied between 4-5. Should have read reviews first eh?

So are my concerns dumbfounded and are there any reasons to choose the HTC 10 over the S7? I need reassurance as to return the phone would take a while up to a month to get my refund so would be without a new phone for a while sigh. But if you guys think it would be best to go with S7 over 10 I feel I would go the extra mile. I am generally indecisive so this may be as a result of it.

Thanks for all your input,
    DroidGuy1999
    Well first of all, welcome here!

I couldn't speak for the HTC 10 but the S7 is a great device. However that's my personal opinion about it. That's what's important here. Some people will tell you the HTC 10 is way better, others will tell you that the S7 is the best choice. Using a phone is how you can decide for yourself.

The fact that Samsung is a big brand doesn't make their products better. Also, you have to remember that Samsung does a whole lot of marketing. HTC is also a big brand but they don't do as much marketing.

Also, Samsung always gets amazing scores except from the purists who prefer stock Android (who wouldn't like HTC's version either) or for the Samsung users who, after a while of use, tend to start feeling their phones slow down, which is nothing a factory settings reset can't fix.

I know this hasn't helped you in any way because the only way to know if a phone is good for you is not by looking at the reviews or judging by the marketing a company does. It's by using it. I changed phones rather a lot in the last years because it's only after you use it as a daily driver that you can see how it suits you, the things you like or dislike and so on.

So my advice would be to just try the HTC and see if you enjoy it. Use it, take pictures, record videos, install apps, customize it to your liking. And if you don't like it after that, if you still can, return it and get the S7. But you'll have to go through the same process.

Hope I was helpful even just a little!
    DroidGuy1999 likes this.
    08-12-2017 05:18 PM
    Well first of all, welcome here!

I couldn't speak for the HTC 10 but the S7 is a great device. However that's my personal opinion about it. That's what's important here. Some people will tell you the HTC 10 is way better, others will tell you that the S7 is the best choice. Using a phone is how you can decide for yourself.

The fact that Samsung is a big brand doesn't make their products better. Also, you have to remember that Samsung does a whole lot of marketing. HTC is also a big brand but they don't do as much marketing.

Also, Samsung always gets amazing scores except from the purists who prefer stock Android (who wouldn't like HTC's version either) or for the Samsung users who, after a while of use, tend to start feeling their phones slow down, which is nothing a factory settings reset can't fix.

I know this hasn't helped you in any way because the only way to know if a phone is good for you is not by looking at the reviews or judging by the marketing a company does. It's by using it. I changed phones rather a lot in the last years because it's only after you use it as a daily driver that you can see how it suits you, the things you like or dislike and so on.

So my advice would be to just try the HTC and see if you enjoy it. Use it, take pictures, record videos, install apps, customize it to your liking. And if you don't like it after that, if you still can, return it and get the S7. But you'll have to go through the same process.

Hope I was helpful even just a little!
    You're points make great sense! Sadly don't help make my decision but that is perfectly fine I guess it is all about opinion. I was looking at S7 but got scared of the glass back and buying on ebay if it was fake or not
    dlalonde likes this.
    08-12-2017 05:36 PM
    You're points make great sense! Sadly don't help make my decision but that is perfectly fine I guess it is all about opinion. I was looking at S7 but got scared of the glass back and buying on ebay if it was fake or not
    Yeah with glass back you NEED a case. I had a hard case to protect it and was so careful not to scratch it. Honestly I do the same thing with my Pixel (the top glass panel on the back is easier to scratch than the front).

The HTC 10 is all metal which is better in my opinion. It can scratch but not shatter. Plus the body seems pretty slick and easy to hold and doesn't look too slippery (but I'm guessing of course).

If you need to know how solid these phones are you can watch these:

(I know this one's for the S7 Edge but they are very similar apart from the edges).

Otherwise, keeps us updated on how you're liking your HTC!
    DroidGuy1999 likes this.
    08-12-2017 05:58 PM
    Well, you're on an HTC forum, so you'll probably end up getting a lot of pro-HTC 10 comments! For me, I've had 5 HTC's in a row and am currently on an HTC 10. It's actually the first phone I've had for longer than a year! Personally, I find it to be the perfect size. That's a big reason I haven't gotten the U11. The U11 is too big for me. The audio is amazing. The camera got great scores on Dxomark, and it's near stock Android. Like the other person said, I'm not a fan of Samsung's version of Android, and you'll also get all the carrier bloat unless you can get one unlocked. You have 30 days to play with it, so I'd say try them both out!
    DroidGuy1999 and dlalonde like this.
    08-12-2017 08:27 PM
    personally I'd be scared of screen burn in with any of the Galaxy phones. Pretty much every one of my friends and family who has an S7 or S6 has screen burn in. Samsung makes the best looking screens no doubt but AMOLED has its drawbacks. just go into any Best buy and every demo has it!
    08-13-2017 12:21 PM
    personally I'd be scared of screen burn in with any of the Galaxy phones. Pretty much every one of my friends and family who has an S7 or S6 has screen burn in. Samsung makes the best looking screens no doubt but AMOLED has its drawbacks. just go into any Best buy and every demo has it!
    Which parts burn it? I'm wondering given both these devices have capacitive buttons.
    08-13-2017 01:49 PM
    I decided against galaxy also because of burn in. My HTC 10 arrived and I am loving it so far!
    dlalonde likes this.
    08-15-2017 04:11 PM
    Nice, A good choice. i still love mine and it's as solid and smooth as day one. Enjoy!
    08-16-2017 12:19 AM
    There is no phone that feels as good to hold and caress as the HTC 10 with its rock solid, premium metal body.
    08-16-2017 06:13 AM
    Unfortunately I can't feel the metal body as I have a case too paranoid of dropping it but oh well
    dlalonde likes this.
    08-16-2017 10:29 AM
    There is no phone that feels as good to hold and caress as the HTC 10 with its rock solid, premium metal body.
    Agree. I now have the U11 and love it; however, there just isn't that solid/secure feeling in my hands like there was with my 10. I will also say that I loved my 10, too, and was happy to give it to my daughter who remarked, "Best phone I've ever had, dad." HTC #ftw
    DroidGuy1999 likes this.
    08-17-2017 07:30 AM