Not convinced there are any phones worth upgrading to from the 10

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm due an upgrade, but I really don't see many things that make me feel I *must* upgrade.

Other than water resistance, a slightly better camera/newer camera features e.g. with dual lens setup, and more regular security updates... I'm not sure if I should make a move right now or wait till MWC '18.

I'm drawn to the Pixel 2, V30, Xperia XZ1 and the U11 but are any of these obviously superior?!

What have you guys done?

rothe

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Lack of a headphone jack is a deal-breaker for me. Great audio without anything else to keep charged will keep me on this phone for a long time.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Lack of a headphone jack is a deal-breaker for me. Great audio without anything else to keep charged will keep me on this phone for a long time.
V30 has a headphone jack. But honestly I'm in the party that thinks upgrading one year after buying a phone is a waste of resources. 2-3 years is the target, when the phone stops getting updates.

jdunker26

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same thoughts. Tried both the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. Sent them back. Now if we had the U11+ I'd be all over that. My Moto X Pure screen is dying so I'll probably get the U11.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, U11+ can only be bought outright so it's a tricky proposition. Not sure what to do haha.

They knocked it out of the park with the 10.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I've had the same thoughts. Tried both the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. Sent them back. Now if we had the U11+ I'd be all over that. My Moto X Pure screen is dying so I'll probably get the U11.

U11 is awesome, I just dislike those bezels.

It is however a steal right now at Carphone Warehouse. Is the battery life much better on that?

rothe

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I just read an Android Central story about how wonderful the front facing camera is on the Galaxy S8. And I saw no mention of optical image stabilization that we have on our HTC 10. Searched elsewhere on the web and found that the Galaxy S8 has the hardware, but it is not enabled! Go figure!!!

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I have no desire to upgrade. The camera is fine. I never print photos larger than 8x12 anyway. The headphone jack is now a plus on a phone, why downgrade. I have no lag, pages still scroll with no problem. I get a full days use out of the battery. And for me, the Ice View case is a plus.

TheJediGoddess

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat but having problems with my battery so have to decide to get a replacement or a different phone all together. Battery will show @ 15%, drop to 10% and turn off. When I boot back up, it'll show it was @ 4%. Also getting messages about too much power consumption. Over it. I want the U11+ soooo bad.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I was having issues with my HTC 10 so I decided to get the HTC u11 and I am loving the hell out of there right now. I love the edge sense teacher. and I think the front facing camera is amazing and the back camera is also amazing. I have a solar Red version. which is a beautiful phone I think it's a worthy upgrade from the HTC 10. do you Sonic earbuds that come with it or actually pretty good.

Goran

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I thought of V30 and pixel Xl2 but Google's phone is without 3.5 and with problematic screen, V30 also lacks in screen and I hate glassy phones...so I will wait for 2018, 10 is completely fine, battery life a bit degraded but still ok. I definitely didn't see any phone in 2017 that could be proper replacement for htc 10. U11 plus but still no 3.5 on it....so 2018 it is. Hopefully htc will revive One series. If all remove 3.5, than I will wait for fingerprint scanner under the display. U11 is simply too fragile and no 3.5 is inexcusable for htc. Really stupid.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree. I've had the M7, M8, M9, and now the 10, so this is the longest I've had a phone in years. I just found the U11 too big as well as the Pixel 2 XL. I was debating the Pixel 2, but is it really an upgrade? No headphone jack, no SD card, and an FHD screen. I just can't pull the trigger.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Totally agree. I've had the M7, M8, M9, and now the 10, so this is the longest I've had a phone in years. I just found the U11 too big as well as the Pixel 2 XL. I was debating the Pixel 2, but is it really an upgrade? No headphone jack, no SD card, and an FHD screen. I just can't pull the trigger.

Exactly how I feel! Pixel 2 is quite tempting because it's not terribly expensive in contract and it would give me what I don't get with the HTC - regular updates.

But, those bezels, and is it really much better?

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Ive been tempted by the u11 but the 10 is still pretty much perfect. Although the phone has been picky about charging for last month or two and it may force my hand eventually if it keeps getting worse. Im hoping to wait it out til next flagship they release.

Beyond the next HTC, dont have much interest in anything else out there. Pixel is about all Id even half look at, but not a huge plain vanilla android fan. I like the subtle tweaks Sense has.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The 10 is still an awesome device. I decided to take advantage of a deal and got a Pixel 2 (non XL) and really am glad I did. No headphone jack matters not to me so that is no issue. It is an awesome device. A little lighter which I like and the battery lasts all day and easily into the night which my 10 could never do. Very happy with my choice. HTC manufactured the P2 and it shows. I thought the 10 was smooth and it definitely was but the P2 is flat out amazing with it's speed and smoothness. I like sense but I'm finding I prefer the Pixel launcher and for the first time ever I've not had to install a 3rd party launcher yet. Down the road I'm sure I will for the fun of it but all is good and happy with my upgrade.

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I looked at the other phones released this year, but I'm still happy with the 10 and the battery hasn't decreased too badly on my end. If it does, then I might have to take the plunge then. But I'll probably wait until next spring if I can so I can see what's released earlier in the year.

The u11 or whatever its successor will be would likely get my first look, but I'll need to think about it a bit more due to the glass backing and lack of headphone jack. I'm not opposed to having a phone w/o the jack eventually, but until there's some sort of universal devices for such, it'll be a pain having to buy different headphones every single time (on top of the chargers). As for the glass back, part of the reason I've stayed with HTC for so long is that I've never had a screen crack on me or get any significant denting. Granted, I do use a case 99% of the time too, but it's still a decent track record.

The Pixel 2 doesn't really grab me, especially since its so reliant on cloud storage as opposed to having it on the device of expandable ones. I've always been anti-Samsung or Touchwiz in the past, mostly due to the cartoony-look it used to have and from what I gather massive bloatware. But shockingly, I might consider the next one if it seems to be a bit better. I already have Nova Launcher on my HTC 10, so I'm not against just using that on there or something that isn't strictly Sense-like anymore.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The 10 is still an awesome device. I decided to take advantage of a deal and got a Pixel 2 (non XL) and really am glad I did. No headphone jack matters not to me so that is no issue. It is an awesome device. A little lighter which I like and the battery lasts all day and easily into the night which my 10 could never do. Very happy with my choice. HTC manufactured the P2 and it shows. I thought the 10 was smooth and it definitely was but the P2 is flat out amazing with it's speed and smoothness. I like sense but I'm finding I prefer the Pixel launcher and for the first time ever I've not had to install a 3rd party launcher yet. Down the road I'm sure I will for the fun of it but all is good and happy with my upgrade.

Can you tell a huge difference going from a QHD screen to the FHD on the Pixel 2?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Can you tell a huge difference going from a QHD screen to the FHD on the Pixel 2?
Some people probably can tell, but I only know if the screen looks good to me and it is really good to look at and very easy on the eyes. I will hold my 10 in high esteem for awhile but the P2 has pushed it off the top of the heap for me. The battery life is really an improvement over my 10 and now that I've had the P2 for almost a month it is still super on battery. This phone will be a keeper even longer than my old 10 the way it's looking. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon