Why wont my facebook app update on my HTC 10

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello ladies and gents,

So i just got a new HTC 10 (yay) and after all the preliminary updates (system updates and all) i was trying to set up my new device when i noticed my Facebook app didn't update, so i went on to try and update it by going to google play and updating the app. Unfortunately after i did that it pretended like it was updating at first but after spending like 20mins downloading the file I was presented with a "Facebook can't be installed. Try again (error code-505)" message and i also noticed in my phones settings under apps the "Facebook" app has no "version" instead it says "version stub" in the place that supposed to state what version the app is using. I have tried clearing my cache for both my device and google play store but that didn't change anything and i cant uninstall the app because it's a system app :( this issue also applies for my messenger app as well :'( . If anyone has a solution please aid me with your wisdom. Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved from the Facebook Home forum (which was intended for Facebook's short-lived Android launcher) to the HTC 10 forum.

Is the Facebook app Disabled on the phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, are you saying the preinstalled Facebook app is disabled? If so, what if you re-enable it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, try this:

1. Re-enable Facebook.
2. Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and select Google Play Store. Clear Cache/Data. Do the same for Download Manager.
3. Now open the Play Store again, search for Facebook and tap Update.

Does that work?

Captn Jack

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Ok, try this:

1. Re-enable Facebook.
2. Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and select Google Play Store. Clear Cache/Data. Do the same for Download Manager.
3. Now open the Play Store again, search for Facebook and tap Update.

Does that work?

Nope, it still doesn't install after downloading :(
Still getting this message "Facebook can't be installed. Try again (error code-505)"
:( \_(- ! -)_/

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, frustrating. This is unlikely, but check to make sure your date and time are correct, and that you have the proper time zone selected.

Dabukes

Dec 27, 2017
Visit site
hello, I have the same phone and the exact same problem and have tried the same solutions. Did you ever find a way to fix the problem?

Filip777

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Tell me this, since these preinstalled apps like facebook and Messenger and Facebook app manager cannot be uninstalled without root access, is it enough to just disable them and uninstall updates for these apps ? I don't want that main Facebook app running on my phone and wasting my battery.