AT&T android to allow from unknown source - push no longer availa

tylerkramer

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

My endeavor to receive the allow from unknown source with complete frustration and finally told its no longer available.
I have talked with AT&T CSR as well as their level 1 support to no avail.
Even quoted the below AT&T announcement:

"Effective May 16th, 2011 select AT&T Android devices will begin receiving OTA push updates enabling access to third party application stores. Currently AT&T requires that Android downloads come only from the Android Marketplace. This reduces the likelihood of malicious apps being downloaded. The push updates will allow select Android devices to load third party apps from other servers, links and/or SD cards.

Push updates will begin with the HTC Inspire, HTC Aria and Samsung Captivate. Additional Android devices and tablet updates coming soon.
The update is restricted to customers with Android devices on version 2.2 or greater.
Android devices launching on or after May 15th, 2011 will have the setting ?Unknown Sources? displayed in the menu and will not require the update.
Once the application sideloading restriction is removed using our Over the Air method, or for newly launched devices, we urge business users to download Applications from ?Unknown Sources? only at the request of their IT or Telecom manager".

Source for above:
AT&T Business Community

I followed the below procedure that someone posted on how they were able to get the push granted its almost 1 year old.

"You need to request it from AT&T business data support. Phone number 800-331-0500 select other issues and when you get a live person ask for business data support. When you get another live person tell them you need the android 3rd party push. You should be good to go after they talk you through to make sure the unknown sources option is available in your applications settings".

However for me this is what transpired:
I called several times over one week and nobody knew what I was talking about then I finally spoke with a very nice lady called Nikki in level 1 support who could not find such a department. She talked to her supervisor who also did not know of such a department nor of this push. I gave Nikki the original post mentioned above and she said let me see what I can find out. She finally talked to someone in her department who knew of this push and gave her guidance. Long story short..

Later in the day Nikki called me back and said "this was once available but since the new phones come with allow from unknown source this was pulled and is no longer available".

I remember the big uproar when Amazon app store opened and many phones were locked from non market apps and under this uproar AT&T came out with an OTA to enable allow from unknown source. For myself waiting this long to request the push only to find its been pulled is discerning.

Thanks,

Michael...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463