htc aria or palm pre plus?

davao4444

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
im due for a new phone at the end of august and ive been debating between the palm pre plus (att) and the htc aria. Any suggestions?

I have come to these conclusions. Size-wise they are pretty much the same with the pre plus being abit heavier and thicker (trade off for having a keyboard which I prefer). I like both android and webos with a slight preference for android (only because of htc sense).

I hear bad things about the pre plus? that its old and that hp might roll out with new ones. However, this doesn?t concern me that much cause im choosing between these 2 phones and processor-wise they aren?t that different and even if I wait for a new one theres no guarantee that it comes to att (which im sticking with).

I also hear about hardware and battery problems but are these fixed with the att version? Its hard to distinguish in the forums when people complain if it?s the sprint version, Verizon version, or att version. I also hear the htc aria?s battery pretty bad too, anyone know which is worse? I need a phone that will last me a day with moderate usage (mostly texting and emails, few calls, few other stuff)

Ps. I know this forums bias so I have this same post on precentral. any suggestions for or against any of the phones would be really appreciated!

tpbklake

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
im due for a new phone at the end of august and ive been debating between the palm pre plus (att) and the htc aria. Any suggestions?

I have come to these conclusions. Size-wise they are pretty much the same with the pre plus being abit heavier and thicker (trade off for having a keyboard which I prefer). I like both android and webos with a slight preference for android (only because of htc sense).

I hear bad things about the pre plus? that its old and that hp might roll out with new ones. However, this doesn?t concern me that much cause im choosing between these 2 phones and processor-wise they aren?t that different and even if I wait for a new one theres no guarantee that it comes to att (which im sticking with).

I also hear about hardware and battery problems but are these fixed with the att version? Its hard to distinguish in the forums when people complain if it?s the sprint version, Verizon version, or att version. I also hear the htc aria?s battery pretty bad too, anyone know which is worse? I need a phone that will last me a day with moderate usage (mostly texting and emails, few calls, few other stuff)

Ps. I know this forums bias so I have this same post on precentral. any suggestions for or against any of the phones would be really appreciated!

The battery life on the Aria should have a disclaimer: "you're results may vary!" I have had my Aria almost 2 months and I am now average about 2 full days on a single charge. That is with but the Bluetooth radio and Wifi on all the time and I am running Exchange ActiveSync with "As items arrive" enabled. It all depends on how you use the phone and features.

I can't speak about the AT&T Pre Plus, but I can about the Sprint Pre and I much prefer Android/HTC Sense to web OS. I went through 3 different Pre's before the Aria, each time it was a touch screen issue that rendered the phone useless.

Regards,

Tom

davao4444

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
im a bit confused with the whole sideloading apps and att. is there a way for sure (without rooting) to sideload apps onto att htc aria? being able to get swype could be a key factor in gettin an aria

tpbklake

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
im a bit confused with the whole sideloading apps and att. is there a way for sure (without rooting) to sideload apps onto att htc aria? being able to get swype could be a key factor in gettin an aria

Yes there are a couple of ways to side load apps on the Aria. Android Central (this forum) has an app you can download to load them or you can use the Android SDK adb app to side load. Both of these would use the USB cable.

Regards,

Tom

dreDREb13

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I use a Pre Plus, and I've played with the Aria. Both are great phones, and I think it really comes down to which OS you'd prefer.

webOS is really just great. Elegant, customizable, and user-friendly. The cards are just really, really awesome. Not to mention using the gesture area is just so appealing. I couldn't think of clicking a button to go back anymore. :p It also has a great community.

Android, however, is awesome as well. MUCH more customizable than webOS or any other OS out there, widgets, rooting, and all that jazz. Also has great community.

Another big thing: keyboard. If you can get used to typing on a touchscreen keyboard (I just hate it), then this shouldn't be an issue. Of course, the Aria's smaller size would be another hurdle, but again, nothing you can't learn to use. The Pre Plus has a great keyboard, and it's physical, so that's automatically a plus to a lot of people.

The hardware on the Pre Plus has very much improved over the Sprint Pre. Any complaints about hardware issues are more or less centered in the Sprint pool, as they've been stuck with the original Pre's shoddy hardware. The Pre Plus has basically been fixed of anything wrong with it, though I'm not 100% sure on how fixed. I haven't heard too many bad things about it, though, and mine's holding up just fine.

As for the battery, the Pre's is... pretty bad. After a few uses, it teetered out to being at around 20% at the end of the day--everyday. That's not bad, but it won't last you long enough for the next day, so it'll require a full charge overnight.

One thing to mention about the Pre is that it honestly gets pretty hot. I was in a conversation on the phone for 40 minutes, and I swear, that thing heated up to where I had to move it to my other cheek to give myself a break. I don't talk much, though, so it's not a big deal, but still.

Of course, I didn't experience the Aria for a full day's use, so I wouldn't know its battery issues. It's a sad fact regardless, though: You get a smartphone, and you're going to suffer with draining batteries.

Either way, like I said, it comes down to OS, to be honest. They both have basically the same insides, it's just your preference after that. I love my Pre, but I know a great phone when I see it, and the Aria is just that.

P.S. Not much of a plus, but hey--the Pre has the Touchstone charger, as well. I don't have one, I don't see a need for it, but some people swear by that little thing.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you all day which phone is better and give you my opinion but the best way to decide is to go to the store and play with the phones.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret