Managing Phone Storage on ATT Aria

funky monk

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm regularly getting the "phone low on storage space" notification and it's now become extremely annoying. The minimal storage space on the phone doesn't allow very many apps to be installed at once and the jerkoffs at ATT didn't think users should be able to transfer apps to the SD card. Is there a way around this without rooting the phone? Or am I pretty much SOL?

Also, whenever I'm low on space I'm unable to check my messages. Says I need to free up space beforehand. What's the deal with that?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You're pretty much out of luck without rooting the phone. I would go through your apps and get rid of any you don't use often, or maybe only use when you're around wifi and can just re-download them.

I've had the same problem with the messages. I guess SMS is stored on the internal memory with the apps, so it stops it from storing more.

funky monk

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I've already pared down the number of apps I have installed and kept the ones I use but after updating a number of them, the space was low again. I normally don't complain about ATT but they really did a great job at limiting the potential of their android phones. I don't think iphone owners have this issue, do they?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
iPhone owners don't, along with most newer Android owners. The problem isn't entirely with ATT, it's with the amount of storage HTC put in the phone (along with all the crap ATT stuffed in there).

Try going through the apps and clearing data and cache on those that you aren't using to store information. I know the browser could take up >10MB, and Maps seems to store some data after every use. Take a look at what each app is using.

funky monk

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Alright, went through and cleared data from a pretty much all the apps. Maps didn't have anything stored but something else (forgot what) had about 5mb of data. most others had a few KB here and there.

Is there any fix for the messages? Whenever I try to delete threads it takes much longer than it should and i end up having to force close the program. It even resets the phone sometimes like it just did a minute ago.

dandrumheller

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Rooting this device is easy, it's a simple matter of reading and following directions. You can then upgrade to FroYo (2.2) or GingerBread (2.3) if you wish. There are a couple of fantastic developers working on this device and a number of great ROM options. Once you root, you can store apps on SD in 2 different ways, and be rid of ATT bloatware.

I currently have 185+ applications on my Aria, using about 70MB of internal space, leaving me with about 110MB internal still free.

Here's a place to start if you are interested in learning more about custom options for your Aria:

HTC Aria Android Development - xda-developers

I recommend lots of reading/research first, so you will know what to expect.

Good luck

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree that rooting is very, very easy. If you install a new rom just remember to do a nandroid backup, especially if you start messing around with overclocking! (GUIDE) Aria Superthread - xda-developers I have 22 apps that I have installed and after using App 2 SD Free I have 125.64MB available right now. That's with about 5.5MB in the cache that I could clear out! Considering how limited the internal space is, rooting your phone without flashing a new rom is something that should be seriously considered. Being able to move apps to the card is almost a necessity! I guess you could do the AT&T Froyo update to get the ability to move apps but then you are stuck with all the AT&T crapware and at that point your option to root is gone. Decisions, decisions!!! ;)

Last edited:

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to add another reason for using a custom rom is the ability to get rid of the apps you don't use besides the standard crapware which has already been removed. There's more than one way to do it but I found the easiest way for me was to just open the zip file of the rom I'm using and delete the .apk and matching .odex if there is one. I got rid of Facebook, Twitter, Stock, FriendStream, Flickr, Footprints and whatever widgets go along with them. Reflashed the rom and all is good. 32 apps downloaded/installed, 11 of the 32 apps installed on sd card. I have 124.7 mb internal available.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
how many MB does a stock Aria (with 2.2) get to to get that message? i started with 103mb and now have 80mb free.

is there a certain point i would get to to slow the phone down?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
how many MB does a stock Aria (with 2.2) get to to get that message? i started with 103mb and now have 80mb free.

is there a certain point i would get to to slow the phone down?

I used to get it around 20 MB.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87