So, one of the things about the HTC Bolt is that it is the latest in a line of phones that seems to have joined the rather strange trend of killing off the ubiquitous 3.5mm headphone jack in favor of plugging in headphones via USB-C. HTC claims that this not only allows for water-resistance but also allows the device to automatically adjust audio settings based on which headphones are connected.

Sounds fine and dandy, but some of you are there are wondering whether you are able to plug in your existing headphones into the port with an adapter. Well, I've got bad news.

The Bolt apparently does not include a 3.5mm to USB-C adapter. You will have to get one yourself. I've checked Pocketnow and other sources and it looks like their units don't come with the adapter shipped, and HTC apparently doesn't plan to have one until next year.
    thatguy97 likes this.
    11-11-2016 12:42 PM
    That is plain dumb. USB c headphones aren't common enough to warrant this move.
    11-11-2016 01:07 PM
    That is plain dumb. USB c headphones aren't common enough to warrant this move.
    I mentioned this about the new MacBook Pros and I believe it holds true here as well.

Swapping one standard for another is fine and dandy. But you have to make sure that the transition to the new standard is handled well so that it goes smoothly without much of a hitch.

When it came to switching from microUSB to USB-C, I personally think Samsung and ZTE (along with some others) did well by supplying an adapter that allowed users to keep using their old cables. And while my Moto Z also lacks a headphone jack (a decision I still loathe to this day), the fact that it at least came with an adapter did at least make the transition much less painful.

HTC is going about this the wrong way. If they want to go all-in on USB-C audio, they need to ensure that the transition is handled well. Not supplying an adapter in the box and having no plans to release one until next year is not how this should be handled.
    Golfdriver97 and thatguy97 like this.
    11-11-2016 01:37 PM
    Man its not looking good for them....

I hope that if the adapter comes out next year they just say everyone that bought a bolt can go to their sprint store and get an adapter even though they will probably have already obtained one themselves.

Just to save face I guess.
    11-11-2016 06:55 PM
    Man its not looking good for them....

I hope that if the adapter comes out next year they just say everyone that bought a bolt can go to their sprint store and get an adapter even though they will probably have already obtained one themselves.

Just to save face I guess.
    They can also have it as some sort of redeemable "gift" like the extra USB-C cable with the HTC 10.
    11-11-2016 10:58 PM
    There ya go
    11-12-2016 12:11 AM
    They can also have it as some sort of redeemable "gift" like the extra USB-C cable with the HTC 10.
    I can confirm that it doesn't have a adapter and the headphones included actually sound quite nice
    11-16-2016 11:28 AM
    HTC says they are releasing an adapter to go from USB-C to 3.5mm headset in December. They will start packing it in with the phone and current users can get one shipped to them for free.
    11-27-2016 06:04 AM