HTC Desire 510 froze and now refuses to turn back on

yoshi8569

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
On Friday morning I was listening music on Youtube on my phone when it suddenly froze out of the blue. Since pressing power button did nothing as it was completely frozen, I pulled the battery out and when I placed it back in, I tried booting my phone, but it didn't get past the HTC screen. After that, I tried pressing the power button a couple of times more, but this time, it didn't even turn on (no vibration, no another HTC screen, nothing, no signs of life). When I got the chance to plug it to charge, it also didn't respond - I plugged it via USB on my laptop. I tried pressing the power button a couple of times, I even held it for 20-30 seconds, still nothing. I also tried booting into Recovery mode, I managed to get to the HTC screen again but the same thing happened and yet again, it didn't get past that screen. When I got home, I tried placing it on charger, still nothing.

In the morning I had up to 70-75% battery so it was not flat at all. When I plugged it via USB on my laptop, my laptop responded to the device and tried to update drivers for it, but it failed. Prior to all of this, a week ago a lot of my apps suddenly started crashing, especially Chrome and Whatsapp, as well as some background Android processes. I updated everything and it seemed to help the issue a bit, since Chrome stopped crashing, but Whatsapp still crashed, although a lot less than before update.

I checked to see if my battery was bloated but it was not. I can't test to see if it works on other devices as I currently have none to test it on. This phone is a year and a half old. I don't have my warranty papers nor my phone company contract here with me and I can't access it anytime sooner but I suspect that it has a 2-year warranty. Prior to all of this I haven't had any major issues but the quick battery drain since I do use it quite a lot and smaller resolvable issues. This phone was not rooted at all, nothing custom installed and no tinkering with software nor hardware.

I only need to confirm if I do need to purchase a new battery or if this is a software issue. It's unfortunate because I have about 3-4 months left until I can extend my contract with my phone company and pick a new phone. Thanks in advance for any replies.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved to the Desire 510 forum.

Thanks for including all of those details. It's hard to say for certain, but it sounds to me like some problem with either the firmware or hardware, not the battery, so you're probably going to need the phone serviced. What country are you in? US warranties are usually only 1 year, but my understanding is that in Europe and other parts of the world, it can be up to 2 years.

yoshi8569

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved to the Desire 510 forum.

Thanks for including all of those details. It's hard to say for certain, but it sounds to me like some problem with either the firmware or hardware, not the battery, so you're probably going to need the phone serviced. What country are you in? US warranties are usually only 1 year, but my understanding is that in Europe and other parts of the world, it can be up to 2 years.

Thought so. I really just needed to confirm whether it's just the battery or something more serious.
I'm in Croatia, my carrier is a firm partnered with Vodafone (Vipnet) and I think my warranty is 2 yrs because of my carrier, but I'm not sure about that. I don't know the average warranty length with phones in my country, to be honest. I'll go to my carrier and ask about that before I do get it serviced, because if my warranty hasn't expired yet, I'm able to receive a replacement phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance