HTC Desire 816 Battery Drain

kona0197

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this is in the wrong area of the forum. I didn't happen to see a section for my model. Probably because it's kinda new to the market. Anyhow, my HTC drains the battery real quick. I'm lucky to get one whole day out the phone. I have turned the brightness down to a setting of 45%, I have disabled the HTC Blinkfeed, and I have tuned off almost every setting that would drain the battery in the background. Any ideas to make the battery last longer? It's a 2600 mAH battery, it should be lasting longer. Is that fact that my screen is a 5.5" screen be a factor? I am running KitKat. Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved the thread to the Desire 816 forum.

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

kona0197

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Well here are the shots you asked for. I could only find this one. I don't know what happened, but the battery lasted a long time this time around. Keep in mind I was hardly using it all this last 24 hours. I also wanted to ask if anyone knew a good program to wake up the phone without using the power key.

I was also thinking about switching to the iPhone 5.

Screenshot_2015-01-19-13-02-38.png

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you tap Settings>Battery, you should see a smaller version of that graph, and a list of apps below it with the percent of battery that they've used so far. That screen is what I mean by #1. Within that list, tap Screen, and then show us that screen, which will say how long the screen has been on in total.

Any app that will make the screen turn on without pressing the power button will likely use more battery, because it means the phone will have to be awake enough to sense things like a screen tap or a voice command.

kona0197

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Here is the screenshots you wanted. Screen is not listed. Don't know where to find that one. Still thinking about taking this phone back in favor of the iPhone. It would be very helpful if I could completely remove the HTC Blinkfeed or disable it. I don't use it, and have it turned off in settings, but it still runs in the background and a force stop does not work on it.

Screenshot_2015-01-19-23-46-25.pngScreenshot_2015-01-19-23-46-29.png

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's strange--Screen is usually one of the top battery users. I wonder if it's in a different part of your Battery stats on that particular phone. I don't currently have access to my wife's HTC One, which probably has more or less the same menu, so I'll see if I can check that later.

If you don't like Blinkfeed, you should consider installing a 3rd party launcher like Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher (or even the Google Now Launcher). I would guess that Blinkfeed would stop using battery if it's not the main launcher, but I could be wrong.

kona0197

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I'll try the other launchers while I wait to see what you find out. Oh and how do I change an icon? I want to change the camera icon to a different camera icon. In Jellybean I could just hold it down for a few seconds. In KitKat that does not work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you show other Battery screens? The HTC One M8 has a somewhat odd Battery menu, where you can break app usage into "Screen Off" and "Screen On."

In order to change an app icon, you would need the ability to use an icon pack. This usually requires using an alternative launcher like Nova or Apex.

kona0197

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
No other screen to show on this model. Would be helpful to silence the ringer when I push the volume buttons. That's not on this phone either. :(

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
@kona0197 - I just got an HTC Desire 816, and I was very interested in your messages. I think that I may know why you got such a high reading for HTC BlinkFeed. My guess is that that percentage (14%) includes time before you turned it off. I say that because my HTC Settings --> Power also reports an HTC BlinkFeed percentage of 14%, but when I look at the figures from the app GSam Battery Monitor (which I added first to my Nexus 7 tablet and then to my HTC phone), it reports that the apps on the phone used 19.2% in the last 15h 47m 44s, and that of that 19.2%, HTC BlinkFeed contributed 0.5%. Since I turned BlinkFeed off sometime yesterday evening, that seems much more reasonable than the 14% figure I got under Settings --> Power. I'm assuming that that 14% is heavily influenced by the usage before I turned off BlinkFeed. At least, I hope so! :) [It looks as if I'm wrong. :( I'll post another message explaining this.]

While I'm writing, I thought I'd ask whether you (or anyone else) knows what the icon is at the top of your screenshot to the left of the WiFi icon.

Last edited:

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, now that I've had my HTC Desire 816 for a couple more days, I'm beginning to see that I was probably mistaken in what I said about BlinkFeed. I'm afraid it's every bit the battery drain that koan0197 claimed, and it looks as if it can't be removed or disabled. When I've tried either force stop or other ways to turn it off, I find that all my apps disappear from my home screen (presumably because they're considered to be part of BlinkFeed), and BlinkFeed continues to make heavier use of the battery than any other app. I HATE BLINKFEED! And I hate HTC for not giving me some say as to whether or not I want to use it. I think this will be not only my first HTC phone but also my last. :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer