How can I stop my HTC Desire 816 from constantly restarting?

A

AC Question

HTC Desire 816 Keeps Restarting...

Tried to do a factory reset, but it rebooted in the middle of that, too! Do you think it's a hardware issue? Tried to ask it about it's memory in the "bios" portion outside of the os, but it crashed on that too. Is he dead, Jim?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC Desire 816 Keeps Restarting...

You might need to reflash the stock ROM with an RUU. I am not quite sure how to do this, but I can get someone who can.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Tried to do a factory reset, but it rebooted in the middle of that, too! Do you think it's a hardware issue? Tried to ask it about it's memory in the "bios" portion outside of the os, but it crashed on that too. Is he dead, Jim?
How did you try to do a factory reset? Did you do it from the bootloader menu?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Holly Flores

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

How did you try to do a factory reset? Did you do it from the bootloader menu?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I used the factory reset from the menu that came up while I held the power button & the volume down button. (Bootloader, right?)

Last edited:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

I used the factory reset from the menu that came up while I held the power button & the volume down button. (Bootloader, right?)

Yes, that is the bootloader menu. You need to check a couple more things.
1. Could you check to see if you still have access to the stock recovery? You can boot to it from the bootloader menu.

2. You need to check if fastboot is working. This can be a little tedious, so here are some in-depth steps on how to do this:

2a. In the bootloader menu, there is an option that says "fastboot" . Select that. On your phone should appear a string that says "fastboot". It should be in white text with a red background.
2b. After that, you need to download HTC Sync from the HTC website to get the latest drivers for your device.
2c. Once you downloaded the software, connect the phone to your computer via USB (the preferred port version for connection is 2.0).
2e. If you installed the software correctly, the text on your phone should change from "Fastboot" to "Fastboot USB". If it changes, then it means fastboot is working. If not, there are more things check to see what is causing the problem that fastboot is not working.

Reasons for checking these two things:

Checking to see if the stock recovery still works: If you have access to the stock recovery, you could try a factory reset from there, or wipe the cache partition. I would wipe the cache partition first before performing a factory reset.

Reasons for checking if fastboot works: In the instance that we cannot solve the bootloop problem, we might have to resort to flashing stock images if they are available. If that were the case, we would need fastboot in order to flash it.

If you run into any problems or have any questions, let me know!

sslc

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
So I have this same problem.
Been able to get into the menu on boot up with "down + power button".
Did a Image CRC followed by Factory Reset.

Still no joy. It restarts and continues to restart.

What other options do I have?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781