FYI: Purchase from bell requires no plan

sgtfoo

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
There seems to be some concern regarding acquiring this phone in Canada.

I just spoke to a Bell Mobility customer service rep on the phone and they told me that you need only to pay for the no-contract price, requesting that you do not wish to activate it, and the phone should be unlocked and ready to go on any network.

Some people seem to be getting sold by salespeople in stores to the idea that you need to sign a 1-month plan and do the 30-day cancellation notice on the same day. This is so far a 50/50 case scenario.

not such Freedom of devices for all!!! boooooo

Last edited:

sgtfoo

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Update:

well it turns out only certain stores that have the phone with managers that have different sales strategies and such political/money-grabbing BS will sell the phone without activation/plan.

some people are having luck going to Best Buy or the Source or other 3rd party retailers to buy the phone outright without any monthly plan activation.

Raul Lugo

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I got mine at Eaton Centre, Toronto as a Pay as you go, 15 bucks included with the outright price of the phone. I was in an out of the store in 10 min. Hopefully you can get yours soon.

sgtfoo

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
in recent scouting..

-at best-buy, the lady in the mobile section told me she couldn't sell the phone without an activation

-at "the source" I was told by the lady that she could sell the phone outright, no problem.

inversecow

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Bagged one!

in recent scouting..

-at best-buy, the lady in the mobile section told me she couldn't sell the phone without an activation

-at "the source" I was told by the lady that she could sell the phone outright, no problem.

Ahoy inets!
First off, thanks to all whom have contributed to this thread, it has been most informative.
I too was on a quest for the Desire Z and managed to snag one.
This is for Victoria, British Columbia, so your mileage may vary.

-Bell Store in mall (FAIL):
No joy, must be activated upon purchase and 30 day cancellation notice submitted the same day (1 month of service effectively).

-The Source (FAIL):
No joy, same story as Bell (above).

-Future Shop (FAIL):
Had to argue with the sales clerk (yes I just want the hardware but not the plan, yes I know pay as you go disappears quick with no data plan, yes I know I need to unlock it myself and that voids the warrenty, etc), who eventually said they would do it. Then they said "no" since it was Dec 24, and they wanted to keep stock for Boxing Day sales (so cash in hand *today* is not as desirable as "maybe" sales in 2+ days?)

-Best Buy (WIN):
No issues what so ever!
Sales guy got me right away when I said I wanted to buy the hardware only, with no activation. No pushing "idiot points" to make a bigger sale, no arguments. I was in and out again in less then 10 mins (no line-ups either).

Shortly after returning home, I had an unlock code into my phone and have been using the unit ever since on a Rogers "Pay as you Go" SIM card since Dec 24th without issues (been cruising the wifi for data usage).

Summary:
-source the hardware (Best Buy @ $500)
-unlock your SIM with the new phone (search Google, some good sites, average cost is $15-20 CAD)
-have fun!

Thanks again (and I hope this helps others)!

sgtfoo

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Most recent news... I grabbed a HTC Desire Z from "the source" in Canada.
I went to the store that initially told me they would sell it to me, and the manager came out and said NO.

Disgruntled, I went to another "the source" one subway stop away and they were fine with selling it to me and mentioned that there should be NO ISSUE with selling the device outright without activation, and that if I was to encounter this at another shop, to ask the manager to confirm with head-office and sell the device anyway.

I grabbed my D-Z for $499.99 plus taxes and had no problems with the transaction at all. The rep went thru the usual babble about how unlocking the phone voids the in-store return policy and the store warranty.

Now, Successfully running my unlocked Desire-Z on the Telus network at 3G & HS(D)PA speeds with a (Telus) SIM card.

w00t!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:):cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae