General Desire questions

Jumbeaux

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here having moved from HTC Touch2 WinMo to Desire a month ago. I couldn't find a general questions thread so I am starting one.

My experience with the Desire and Android 2.1 has been very exciting. I love the stability, the highly customizable UI and those live wallpapers :).

I have 2 questions that I need help on :

1. I found that my memory space kept reducing even when not installing new apps. My current solution is to restart (reminds me of WinMo) but not sure that's the right way. I can go from 220mb at restart to below 50mb after a few days. Any advice?

2. The Youtube app is nice, especially in HQ. However, I couldnt find how to add a comment to a video. I had to go to Youtube mobile website to do so. Hope someone can help.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
1. The available memory space really doesn't matter much on Android. The memory manager will always ensure that any app you specifically request to open will always have enough memory to function, and then some. Basically, it keeps apps open in the background (in a suspended state, so that they don't use processing power) so that getting back to them is quicker than launching the app again. However, if another app is launched that requires more memory than what is currently available, the memory manager will close the app that has been suspended for the longest amount of time.

In short, having low memory usage is not at all as important as some people feel it is in Windows. Memory is there to be used, if it's just sitting there empty it doesn't really make much sense to have a lot of memory in your system. ;)

2. This seems to simply be a limitation in the current YouTube app. Hopefully, they'll sort it out. It seems a lot of official apps are missing rudimentary features, such as the Facebook app and FriendStream. I can only hope they sort this out in the near future. :)