1. IceBone's Avatar
    Well, not really, but I forgot to check my swimming shorts' pockets before going for one. So after about 2, 3 minutes, I notice a bulge in my pocket and immediately realise what has transpired. I yank it out (the phone out of my pocket, stop having such a dirty mind!), dry off, disassemble the phone and attempt to dry it off.

    Seeing as water damage isn't covered by the warranty, I decided to take it apart completely, removing the back chasis, held into place by the screws with the void stickers, so I could dry it off more completely. Doing this I discovered that the Desire has 5 of these water damage indicator stickers.

    So, after about 20 minutes of vacuuming, hairdrying and toweling it, I burried all the parts in a heap of rice for the night to pull all the lingering moisture out, which it did. So this morning I assembled it again and attempted a boot up, but it wouldn't go past the initial HTC screen. At this moment I thought I was thoroughly ****t and had resolved to just send it for repairs in the morning, however after looking at it through the corner of my eye, I decided to just check one more thing, so I booted into hboot and recovery to see if anything could be done there. I ended up erasing the internal storage and trying to boot again...

    OMG, it booted up! WTF?

    I've since spent about an hour setting everything up as I had it before and testing every thing I could think of to see if it still performs as it did, which it has. This of course requires more extensive testing and I'll report back, but even so, kudos to HTC for making a phone that doesn't just fizz itself into the next incarnation when coming in contact with liquid. And this wasn't just a little splash, remember, the phone spent 2-3 minutes completely submerged in water. Bravo to HTC and "bravo" to me.

    tl;dr: phone went in pool, dried out over night, works fine so far.
    07-18-2010 05:21 PM
  2. SeeK's Avatar
    That's quite impressive. And very reassuring for me, since I regularly take my phone with me on the one-hour boat ride out to my summerhouse. Epic!
    07-19-2010 05:59 AM
  3. Sonicaholic's Avatar
    That's epic way too go htc and way too go icebone I definatly think the rice trick helped you out there. Kudos cor the savvy.
    07-19-2010 10:54 AM
  4. mr.saving's Avatar
    Good deal!
    07-19-2010 01:47 PM
  5. IceBone's Avatar
    Well, after a few days of testing I can report all is well. The first 2 days I still had some problems with the volume rocker, but I think that was down to some residual moisture at the contact. It's been on for 3 days now but I'm afraid to reboot it as I had more problems with that, it sometimes required up to 5 reboots (battery yanks) to get past the initial HTC boot screen. Otherwise it has performed just as it should, nothing to report and I'll burn the boot bridge when I get to it.
    07-22-2010 11:04 AM
  6. yankeeornovember's Avatar
    anything further? Desire still kicking?
    08-05-2010 06:32 PM
  7. IceBone's Avatar
    Apart from the trackpad not working (which was a previous error), it's working like new. No problems to report. It's even been rooted before the 2.2 OTA.
    08-05-2010 06:42 PM
  8. SeeK's Avatar
    Nice going, mate. You should be able to get the trackball repaired on the warranty, just hope they don't notice any moisture damage. xD
    08-06-2010 01:19 AM
  9. mikestorm's Avatar
    Sounds like the phone will get you to your next upgrade at least. That's great!
    08-20-2010 11:32 AM