Desire CDMA and GSM

Barfaroo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my HTC Desire from US Cellular which is CDMA. I am thinking about flashing a new ROM. ROM Manager lists Cyanogen as a possibility, but how do I know if it is for GSM or CDMA phone? Also, will I have to dowoad the radio separately?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my HTC Desire from US Cellular which is CDMA. I am thinking about flashing a new ROM. ROM Manager lists Cyanogen as a possibility, but how do I know if it is for GSM or CDMA phone? Also, will I have to dowoad the radio separately?

Best a question to post on CyanogenMod7 forum at xda-developers.com about CDMA compatibility. Have never flashed a CDMA phone before.

As for the radio, if you currently use Froyo 2.2, it already has the upgraded radio.

jrwestenberg

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem for a long time. I finally figured out that Visionary+ works with 1.06. I tried loading Cyanogenmod7 after I rooted, but my phone wouldn't restart. I pulled the battery, and everything was fine. Therefore, I'm guessing the Cyanogenmod7 ROM is GSM, but I would stop make sure.

Sent from my Desire using Tapatalk

SkinsFan1987

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a Desire through Cellular South, and I used Unrevoked to root mine. There are some instructions on theunlockr.com that work pretty well. I would post the link, but I don't know how this site works with that.

So, give it a whirl; Gingerbread really is a sweet OS.

Buzzwelding

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for high jacking this thread but I have a similar question.
what is the differences and how do I know what i have do I have gsm or cdma
is gsm or cdma controled by carrier I have net10 as a carrier are they gsm or cdma compatible

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for high jacking this thread but I have a similar question.
what is the differences and how do I know what i have do I have gsm or cdma
is gsm or cdma controled by carrier I have net10 as a carrier are they gsm or cdma compatible

The difference is mainly the frequency band's they use and the presence of a removable sim. Gsm can also support far higher data speeds, and support far more users per tower than cdma.

Basically if you have Sprint or Verizon, you have cdma. If you have tmobile or att, you have gsm. The same goes for the mvnos. Boost, virgin, and page plus are cdma. Net10, and straight talk are gsm.

A good way to check is to remove your battery (if you can), if your sim card can be removed, then you have gsm. If it sits behind a plastic screen, or looks soldered in, you have cdma.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci