HTC Desire phones and Sam's Club Apps?

K5ING

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
First the preliminaries. I have an HTC Desire 510 phone running Android Kit-Kat 4.4.2. Not rooted. Carrier is Cricket Wireless.

I've been using the regular Sam's Club app for over a year and it's worked just fine. A few months ago, I tried to install the Sam's Club "Scan and Go" app, but it said my phone was not compatible. It didn't bother me much because I still could use the regular Sam's Club app. About a month ago when I tried to use the regular app, it wanted me to update it, so I tried. Now the original regular app says that it's not compatible with my phone either, and it won't let me use the older version.

As far as I remember, this is the first time any Android app I've tried to install says it isn't compatible with my phone. I figured it wasn't compatible with the older 4.4.2 version, but my brother-in-law with a Samsung 3 (I think) also running 4.4.2 says it installed on his phone just fine.

Any ideas on this? Also, can anyone else with a Desire phone running 4.4.2 (particularly the 510) look at the app in the Google Play store and see if it's compatible with your phone? You don't have to install it. It should tell you when you just look it up. At least that would narrow down whether it's my phone, my carrier, or any Desire or Desire 510 phone that it won't on. TIA.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
That's the most likely explanation, that the hardware requirements changed. Over time, it's entirely possible for apps to develop in a way that they essentially program their way right out of compatibility... whether you can still run it or not is irrelevant, once your device isn't supported anymore, that's it. Though you should shoot the developer a message about it; at least then, they're able to update the Play Store entry to reflect it being incompatible with your device.

K5ING

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. The original Sam's Club app won't let me run it until I update it, which it won't do. The Sam's Club Scan N' Go app (a separate app) never did let me install it. I've already written a help email to Sam's 3 times and it's gone unanswered all 3 times except for the "we received your message and will get back to you shortly" reply from their bot. And yes, if I look it up in the Play Store, both apps say they are incompatible with my device.

FWIW, both of my Walmart apps (the regular shopping one and their Scan and Go app) work just fine and are compatible with my phone. I find that strange since Walmart owns Sam's, and I'm pretty sure they are essentially the same app under the hood.

I was looking for someone else with a Desire phone to look these apps up on the Play Store also as see if they get the same messages on their phone so I'll know it's just not me. BTW, in the reviews of the app, some Samsung tablet owners say it's not compatible with their devices anymore also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair