Soon to be HTC Desire owner

kenwen

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul,

join the club :)

Ordered mine from Amazon - had the Hero for a few months after many years of living, well barely existing, with a BlackBerry.

Switched to Android to save money (which we did, our phone and IT costs dropped by about 90%) but really love Android.

I keep ogling pics of the Desire :)

Not sure I have anything to add re: desire to help you confirm your decision but I'm sitting by the front door waiting for the couriers!

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
well, with the Desire ROM (a custom one with extra features) now on my Nexus, I have the best of both worlds! :D

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all, really excited about getting it, I love my iPhone but its failings (plus the appalling battery life) mean I want something a little bit better. Might wait till Apple announce the next iPhone just in case, although I can't help thinking while it'll be a big leap from the current iPhone, it'll still be lacking certain things, in true Apple style.

Naughty_Ottsel

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
@peejay1977

On the same boat as you at the moment, but by the looks of things I will be going Desire as its ?15 p/m with unlimited internet and texts at the moment, waiting till I can have a play as its a fight between the Desire and the Legend and I've played with the Legend and like it but am worried it will be too slow.

When I played with the Legend the store representative said that the delivery had just come in that day and I had to get it out of German for her.

Still see what happens with iPhone OS 4.0 as well

kjs1977

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all, really excited about getting it, I love my iPhone but its failings (plus the appalling battery life) mean I want something a little bit better. Might wait till Apple announce the next iPhone just in case, although I can't help thinking while it'll be a big leap from the current iPhone, it'll still be lacking certain things, in true Apple style.

Hi PeeJay, The Battery life on the Desire isn't that good, you will find yourself charging it up every day, especially after using various apps. If you do get it, be sure to get an app killer from the Market to help reduce battery consumption.

Regards

Kian

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi PeeJay, The Battery life on the Desire isn't that good, you will find yourself charging it up every day, especially after using various apps. If you do get it, be sure to get an app killer from the Market to help reduce battery consumption.

Regards

Kian

That is one thing I will never use again... Task Killers will fudge the device up IMO. As soon as I deleted it and allowed the device to do it's thing, I saw a lot of improvement.

justabrake

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There is not one yet. Ten days until Telstra gets one that will have it but from what I have seen it will cost $700+ so does not seem worth it to me. If you can afford that much just get the NE1 for $529.

I sent them an email and here is there response,

Thank you for your email regarding an enquiry on the availability of HTC Desire in USA.

HTC Desire will be available for $0 on Telstra?s $60 consumer Phone Plan for 24 months (minimum total price $1440), or can be purchased outright with a RRP of $779. Customers can also take the handset on a Mobile Repayment Option (MRO) with an eligible plan and pay off the $779 over 12 or 24 months.

Telstra Business customers can also purchase HTC Desire. It will be available on the $65 plan for 24 months (minimum total price $1560) which includes 300MB of data. HTC Desire will also be available on a range of Telstra Enterprise and Government plans from 27 April 2010.

Please be advised that It is only available from Telstra stores and dealers from the 27 April 2010.

The unlocking fee will be $50, $100, or $150 depending on the manufacturer and model of the mobile handset.

The exact amount of the unlocking fee will be given to you upon purchasing of the mobile handset.

I trust this information has been of assistance, and further information is readily available via our online Help, which includes things such as our Frequently Asked Questions, general information, and other tools to assist you with managing your account online:

Help on Products and Services - Help Centre - Telstra, otherwise I am happy to provide further clarification.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Mikhael
d328687
Telstra Support Team

MRWOLF6969

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone used the extended batterys on this phone?? I have been doing a LOT of research and found a 3500ma batt as I am a power user I was wondering how life will compair to the BB im using with a 2600 batt as I have reduced it to 20% in 10 hrs. Tired of the BB bull and this will be new phone if works inside my house I get horrible reception.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Regards

Kian
Actually, Android does a wonderful job of suspending apps on its own. An app killer is not necessary on the Android platform, if you ask me.

On a related note, I've had my Desire running for as long as 52 hours on a single charge. Did some browsing, sent a few texts, just used the phone as any other phone really. It's if you start using the GPS, play 3D games or do a lot of browsing or other things requiring constant data traffic that the battery really starts draining. On average, you'll make it through a day and then some, depending on how much you like to mess with it. :)

sookster54

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
That is one thing I will never use again... Task Killers will fudge the device up IMO. As soon as I deleted it and allowed the device to do it's thing, I saw a lot of improvement.

With advanced task killer, you can go pick and choose what to skip when doing mass task kills. The default config pretty much kills everything that's running on the phone. Haven't had problems, and battery lives longer.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
With advanced task killer, you can go pick and choose what to skip when doing mass task kills. The default config pretty much kills everything that's running on the phone. Haven't had problems, and battery lives longer.
That's the thing, though. It's not Windows. "Everything that's running" is most likely doing so in a suspended state, and applications on Android have zero power consumption when they're not actually asked to do anything or set to provide background functionality at all times. An automated task killer will also eliminate the suspended multi-tasking that Android provides.

paulo76

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I had a Blackberry Bold for over a year and a Bold 2 for 9 months but the pull of the little green fella was too much.

I've had my Desire for 2 weeks now and it's the best phone/os so far.

The battery life stinks, i'm not a massive user but I'd like to see it last past 9 hours on a charge. I text, call, tweet, facebook, surf and do foursquare thru the day and I think the stock battery should be able to handle it since it's a social based, web setup device and especially to run that lush screen at max brightness.

You can get batteries that have a higher rating such as a Mugen 1600mA but a larger battery will mean having a new back as they're physically bigger and add more bulk. Something I don't want to do as it fits in my pocket just nicely.

Paul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol