Sync Eris 2.1 with 2 diff Google Calendars?

chimpsnest

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I posted this same Q elsewhere, but there seems to be more activity over here .....

I have a gmail account for work set up on my Eris - My "work cal" syncs fine between my google account, the eris calendar and my Ical on my Mac.

I also have a personal gmail account that syncs between the Google Cal and my same ICal on the Mac - but it DOES NOT sync to the Eris and I'm wondering if it's possible?

I've got the gmail set up on the Eris w/the two different accounts.

When I go into the calendar on the phone and go, menu-more-calendars and then hit 'menu' again I hit 'add calendar' but then the 'ok' button is blanked out and all I can do is hit cancel.

Is there a way for me to sync this 2nd google cal to my phone? I'm running the new 2.1 version of the s/ware.

Am I just missing something or is this not do-able?

Thanks

mitchell.23

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
You have to have the 2nd calendar shared with the first on your goggle calendar setup. Done on the web. It should then become an option on your phone.

chimpsnest

May 20, 2010
Visit site
OK, thank you!!! I logged into the workcal google account, this is the one that is already synced w/my phone, clicked in the "add a friend's calendar" box and input the gmail address for my home calendar.

Logged into the home cal gmail account and accepted the request that was emailed to me, which basically just involved clicking a link and accepting the 'share' and clicking 'save' ... a couple minutes later my phone, google calendars and the ical app on my mac are all happily sharing info. I think I did actually "add" the homecal account to my workcal account too, but that didn't work until I did the share thing. So it is possible and this is great!!

What I would love would be in the phone if I could make the two calendars different colors. Seems like my calendars are red and the other ones, holidays, are blue. Comes up different colors on the mac screen in iCal and I'm going to see if I can figure that out next, not a huge deal, but it would be nice to specify the color.

Again, thanks a million!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What I would love would be in the phone if I could make the two calendars different colors. Seems like my calendars are red and the other ones, holidays, are blue. Comes up different colors on the mac screen in iCal and I'm going to see if I can figure that out next, not a huge deal, but it would be nice to specify the color.

I think that you do that on Google Calendar on the web (from a PC.) It should list the name of all of your calendars to the left, with a triangle control to the right of the name. That opens a menu that allows you to specify the color that you want for the calendar.

chimpsnest

May 20, 2010
Visit site
You're right about that, but it hasn't changed the colors on my phone - I only seem to have red and blue and cannot change them (not so far anyway).

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what to tell you; the color marks of the calendars on my phone (I have many) exactly watch what they are on Google Calendar.

chimpsnest

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Odd, when I'm in Google Cal (tried it with both the original work sync'd cal and the home cal) and change the colors (did it by click on the calendar name and the little color palette comes up). I change the color, add a "test" notification in and then refresh the phone calendar ... still comes up just red for my calendars and blue for holidays.

Is there something you did on the phone itself? Or did you change the color a different way in the Google cal?

Thank you for your help

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I did nothing on the phone - I just changed them on Google. It was this way for me on 1.5 as well.

I had Google Calendars long before I had an Android phone, and I do not use the calendars that are already in the phone. Perhaps you could try creating a new Google Calendar, putting on a sample event, and see how that syncs - whether it gets the color. Another idea is to turn off calendar sync on the phone from settings, change the color, then turn sync back on, which I think forces a full sync.

chimpsnest

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Silly question for you, but if you don't use the calendars that are in the phone, what calendar do you look at on your phone?

Tried turning off the calendar sync to main work calendar and turning back on again, didn't make a difference in color. The home calendar doesn't have a sync option on the phone, probably because it's tied to the work one? I think I have something set up different than you.

I appreciate all your input.

chimpsnest

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Ah, figured out the issue .... my original work cal is set up under one gmail address. My home cal is/was set up under a totally separate gmail address. I figured out how to share the calendars via calendar sharing on google.com.

What I did was added another calendar under my gmail work cal and changed the color ... voila ... the cals are different colors on my phone. The other gmail account calendar, while it shows up on my phone, does not respond to any color changes.

Last edited:

chimpsnest

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Now, of course my phone is showing all three calendars in three different colors - go figure. My original sync'd work calendar, plus the additional calendar I added under that gmail account are the two different colors I selected. And, now the other gmail account that has home cal has decided to catch up and show the different colors on my phone - totally random, I've been trying this for days!

Now, the only thing I cannot figure is this:
Under my sync options there are listed my two gmail accounts, only one of those gmail accounts has the option to sync cal (the main, originally synced gmail account) - just wondering why? I have that 2nd gmail account linked online with the first and synced that way - is THAT the only way? It's a bit irritating that, on my phone, when inputting an event I can't just choose the "home cal" - I guess I'll just abandon it for the new one I added to the work cal and called "home stuff". Just seems like a waste.

Finally - meant to ask - what the heck is the difference between the HTC Calendar Widget and the Android Calendar Widget besides the way they look on your screen/desktop? They lead me to the same place by the looks of them, I have them both placed on a screen and when I click either one, they look the same. Same with the calendar program - all roads lead to the same calendar (I think??)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma