Eris 2.1 battery status

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
www.dancingcrabspeaks.blogspot.com
I just checked my wife's Eris as she's suffering from rubbish battery performance since the update. It's showing 49% of battery usage is due to 'cell standby', and only 2% because of 'screen'. This seems odd... does anyone else have similar stats? It's at nine hours and forty minutes (9h 40m).

Her first Eris, purchased about a month ago, had shockingly bad battery life. She swapped it with VZW and the new (current) Eris appeared to be much improved... until we installed 2.1 via the linked provided by Android Central.

Let's be fair here: with no more than moderate usage, it shouldn't be at 10-20% in under ten hours - especially when the reported culprit is... 'cell standby'.

Or am I wrong?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The 50% cell standby is a known issue that appears to be just showing the wrong figure. You should be able to reset it to 0 by setting the phone to Airplane Mode (long press on the power button and choose from the menu), turning the display off, and then turning off Airplane Mode.

The battery issue may be due to a bad app that isn't closing.

likwidsoul

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
From my experience it is not just showing a wrong number it is actually making your phone continuously search for a cell signal and it drains my battery. I am even using a seidio 3600 battery and I would be at 50% with no use of the phone in a matter of 3 hours. The airplane mode trick is the only fix I've found. But you only have to do it once per reboot.

tada1096

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
ok i held down the end button then turned on airplane mode. then hit the end button again to turn off the display then hit the end button to turn the screen back on then turned airplane mode off. should anything have reset or will it just fix the problem.
mine still says 50% cell standby

jake1s

May 24, 2010
Visit site
ok i held down the end button then turned on airplane mode. then hit the end button again to turn off the display then hit the end button to turn the screen back on then turned airplane mode off. should anything have reset or will it just fix the problem.

In my experience it takes a bit to correct the display number, but in addition did you leave the phone in "sleep" mode for a minute or so or did you just take it out of "sleep" right away? I've found that leaving it in "sleep" mode for a minute or at least 30 seconds was the only way to get it to reliably fix the bug.

dcdiablo90

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

Here's is what I have found. Put in airplane mode, charge for about 30 seconds, then out of airplane mode. I have also found if I use some apps, i.e., facebook, myspace, twitter for a little bit when coming out of airplane mode, it will keep cell standby down. Yesterday my cell standby ran about 45% all day, when I went to bed I had about 40% of battery life left, I use the Seidio 1750mah extended battery. Good luck. Do you run battery widget? If so, I strongly suggest getting rid of it, it is a serious battery drainer.

fuerstjh

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression that the battery life status displays the percentage of your current battery usage. IE if your battery has only used 5% it is saying that 50% of that 5% used has been from cell stand by. Which is why plugging in your phone for 30 seconds will reset the counter.
(The app also tells you the time the phone has been running since it was last plugged in which leads me to believe this)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000