hey new here!

Tmak04

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
hey everyone... well i am a storm user and i am this close on getting the droid eris... just a few questions.... am i able to use AOL Mail on this? also in comparison does it blow the storm away? i really want this phone im just on the ropes any feedback would be great thanks!

Kuth70

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes and no... and Yes.

While android doesn't have a built in AOL mail setup like the BB or iPhone does, AOL has designed a web based version of their mail that is very slick, just a nice as the standard mail app.

http://webmail.aol.com redirects to a mobile (WebKit optimized) version when you visit it.

The other piece of the puzzle would be to setup the Android Mail app to use POP to get your AOL mail.

Or even better you can use IMAP to access your AOL mail.

How to Access an AOL Email Account with any POP or IMAP Email Program - About Email

Kuth70

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
As for a comparison to the Storm? There is no comparison. The Eris (and just about any android phone) will be far superior in almost every respect.

The Eris' only downfall that I see is the battery life. Although a couple free apps can easily fix that.

Tmak04

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
why doesnt it have a built in app? im also alittle worried that once the os upgrade comes it wil be the last one for this device? do you think it would be the wrong move getting it?

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I think you will absolutely love it. You can set up aol mail very easily. The browser is awesome. The camera is killer. I don't think you will regret getting it.

Kuth70

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't say why there isn't a direct AOL setup, but the IMAP setup will give you a very good email experience. As Li2327 said, you won't regret using the Eris to check your AOL mail. In some respects its better than the iPhone's mail app (I used an iPhone until recently)

After the 2.1 update comes out I doubt it will be the last one. I'm sure there will be enough updates from HTC to keep Eris owners happy until the end of their "new every 2" plan.

JFeisty

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
My wife had a Storm 1 and at first she was very pleased with it...her (our) first Blackberry, heck it was her first "smart" phone. Soon, though, its shortcomings started creeping up. The corners of the screen didn't click well, and the lack of memory was a major problem. She would have to do a battery pull just about every day (as do most storm owners). Well, about a month ago it finally died on her, completely. We went and looked at the Storm 2. While it does improve on some things over the Storm 1, it was still the same ol' Storm. I then urged her to look at the Eris. She fought me on it (she doesn't like change), but after playing around with it for a while in the store she decided to get it.

She couldn't be happier. Don't get me wrong, it does have its cons....battery life, no BBIM, etc. But overall she feels she definitely picked the better phone. She loves the 7 screens HTC has with the Sense UI and the various widgets you can put on them. The OS is just much slicker than the Blackberry.

Sorry for being long-winded....for what it's worth, my suggestion would be that if you like your Storm and don't have any problems with it, maybe stay with it. But, if you do have problems with it or are annoyed with the shortcomings (memory), I'd definitely recommend the Eris. I think you'd like it a lot. Or, if you can wait a few months, the Passion/Bravo/whatever will be making its way to Verizon...that may be worth the wait.

Good luck!

Tmak04

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
thanks justin... same problem here i am new to the smartphones but i also do a lot of research on them... i loved my storm i still do but i am on my 5th replacement and still do battery pulls... i am worried about the battery life but hopefully the update will fix this problem... i feel like letting this phone go at 99 bucks would be stupied.... i used to own a sidekick and i loved it but the tmobile service was terrible.... everyones input is really helping me i think by christmas i will be a owner of a eris!

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I am also a former Storm owner and I will never look back. I can't believe how much the eris out performs my old storm 2. I AM so impressed with this device I can't get over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax