Current Blackberry user, thinking of Eris

mpaquette

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday's RIM outage was the last straw for me. Today at lunch I went over to the Verizon store and played around with the Eris quite a bit. I walked away quite impressed. The browser is awesome. I really like the smaller size and weight of the phone compared to my Storm 2. Can anyone that's switched from a Storm or Storm 2 comment on the ease of typing on the Eris? I tried the compact QWERTY and wasn't real wild about having to use multi-tap. I then tried the full QWERTY, but am concerned about my fat fingers on such a small keyboard.

Right now trying to decide if I want to make the switch. I would have to buy the Eris at full retail since I just got my Storm 2 when it was launched. I figured I could Ebay the Storm 2 and recover most of the cost of the Eris.

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I had a storm and got an eris a week ago tomorrow...I haven't looked back. The only thing I miss a little is BBM. Other than that, the phone just works. Gmail is a pleasure and so is the interface. It works the way a phone should. My only minor complaint is that I wish the processor were as fast as the droid...that and the battery life needs to be better but otherwise, I'm in love wiht my eris

pmdied

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Eris gettting 2x in Q1 along with other updates that are bound to be rolled out will have a big impact on the Eris' performance, not that it needs it. I tried both the Motorola Droid and the Eris side by side and didn't notice that much of a difference, especially coming from a Palm 755p! I chose the Eris for its form factor but thats just a personal preference. Android devices have only one direction to go and that is UP!

nonie3234

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I am a former Storm user, now with the Eris. The keyboard is really pretty similar - IMO the Eris is a bit easier to use, but maybe that's just me. You'll get used to it, I'm confident!

granadzo

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have large fingers and use the Eris in portrait without an issue, the autocorrect works really well. I had a Storm and Tour and do not regret the change or battery pulls, BIS outages, lack of memory, poor web browsing, laginess etc...

I have not had any issues with the Eris except for battery life which is easily fixed by an automatic task killer app that is free on the Android Marketplace. The size and weight are also a plus, especially if you carry it in your pocket. It takes some getting use to if you are really use to a BB, but you will adjust.

Widgets and customization are also a huge plus!!!

MasonMI

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I just switched from a Blackberry Curve over to the Eris this week and i'm really enjoying the Eris its taking me a little bit of time to get used to the touch screen keyboard its definately well worth it i was already on gmail so its a plus having such quick access to my gmail account now on the Eris. I would suggest making the switch over to Eris.

jefferycall

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Storm 1 to Droid Eris

I had a Storm 1 since it was introduced last year, and had it replaced 3 times. It was an absolute nightmare my first day of ownership, but stuck with it as Verizon didn't offer too many options at the time. The Storm was a great messaging device, but that was it. The OS is dated, and even though I had the latest OS it was still full of annoying bugs. Incidentally, when I upgraded to OS 5 it bricked my phone and I had to have it replaced. I recently switched to the Droid Eris, and I am not looking back.

Once I got past the learning curve, I have been completely raptured. The battery charge doesn't last as long as I'd like, but I'm working with it. The typing experience takes a little getting used to, but I am getting better and actually prefer it over the surepress from Blackberry. My two cents.

mkarps

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Get it! I just ditched a Storm for a Droid Eris. Its been 24 hours and so far its great. My buddy has the moto but that thing is a big phone so I decided on the Eris. The virtual keyboard I find easier than the unresponsive surepress screen on the storm. I know the processor isn't as fast on the Eris but it seems to be flying along and I haven't seen an hourglass yet which is a pleasant change from my blackberry. I'm REALLY glad to hear 2.0 is coming this month too. Oh and the HTC Sense UI is beautiful. Well I'll cut it short so I can go do a battery pull again......oh wait, no need, Ive got a droid now.

By the way just wanted to say hi to all the forum members. I look forward to contributing and being here a while!

Matt

Tmak04

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Same here had the storm for a while loved the thing but it wasnt really what i was looking for... i got the eris for christmas and i am so happy its crazy... its fast never freezes on me and the apps are alot of fun internet so fast... i think you should deff get it!

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Typing on the storm 9530 to me was alot better than on my Eris. I truly miss Surepress (Yes I know) and Sure type (For when in portrait). I also miss the BB OS for some reason. Only thing I like about the Eris is the speed, browser and widgets. Otherwise, I miss my Storm :(

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I was BB for years, almost every device, and got the eris. Love it. The typing is awesome and the battery is decent when you cycle it. There are also larger batteries to buy if that is an issue. when eris gets 2.0 update it will rock. I think you will be very pleased. you are going to be blown away how customizable this phone is.

mpaquette

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Typing on the storm 9530 to me was alot better than on my Eris. I truly miss Surepress (Yes I know) and Sure type (For when in portrait). I also miss the BB OS for some reason. Only thing I like about the Eris is the speed, browser and widgets. Otherwise, I miss my Storm :(

Really? I thought I liked Surepress until I spent some time typing on my Eris. I like not having to push so hard on the screen. Plus, I think the Eris does a great job correcting my spelling when using the full QWERTY keyboard, even in portrait mode. I miss my Storm so little that I sold it on Ebay last week. :D

wpwoodjr

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't know, I've been going back and forth between the Eris and the Storm 2 for awhile now. I love the Eris software, but the Storm 2 has great hardware:
  1. Bigger, higher-res screen (480x360 vs 480x320)
  2. 3d graphics chip
  3. Better battery life
  4. Buttons for app launching and pause/mute
  5. Sleep holster capability
  6. Global phone (GSM)
  7. 16 gb card included vs 8 gb
  8. Surepress (could be a plus or minus for you)
The potential for the Storm2 seems huge once RIM releases a webkit browser.

mr.saving

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, I've been going back and forth between the Eris and the Storm 2 for awhile now. I love the Eris software, but the Storm 2 has great hardware:
  1. Bigger, higher-res screen (480x360 vs 480x320)
  2. 3d graphics chip
  3. Better battery life
  4. Buttons for app launching and pause/mute
  5. Sleep holster capability
  6. Global phone (GSM)
  7. 16 gb card included vs 8 gb
  8. Surepress (could be a plus or minus for you)
The potential for the Storm2 seems huge once RIM releases a webkit browser.

RIM has the hardware,but not the software...I'm tired of wating on OS leaks to make my damn phone functional. As soon as my Storm sells,I'll be getting a droid.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
My wife switched from a crackberry world edition. She loves her eris but she didnt like the typing at first. She getting faster now. but she said it was a real pain to get used to.

Tip you'll type better in landscape mode.

Rim had no software compared to Google. It's been out for years with little to show. It was designed as a business phone. I liked them 5 years ago but I won't be looking back.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63