Eris - A ploy?

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone!

I am a longtime lurker, for about 2 months, and decided it was finally time to post some questions, thoughts and opinions about the Eris. I have a long history with phones and came to Verizon from an Iphone 3gs with ATT. Originally I got a droid but decided to trade it in for an Eris because of the size.

The Eris was a great phone to being with. My gmail worked great. The battery life improved and lag was not a big deal. My wake time was always great also.

Now, the honeymoon period is over and so is my 30 days. The lag has only gotten worse by adding handcent. YouTube no longer works. HTC has ignored 8 tweets I have sent there way regarding 2.0 or 2.1 update or the youtube issue. Emails are totally ignored.

To top it off, my gmail only works when it feels like it. Sometimes it pushes to my phone and other times it will take 10 or 15 minutes or not at all.

Why have a "smartphone" if in fact it is STUPID? You cannot add an app without suffering a huge lag of some sort. Email hardly works. The keyboard lags along. And how long is it going to take to get a droid update?

Basically I wanted to complain and I have tried every fix that has been listed on this site. Who else is having these issues?

Verizon should just take this phone back and provide me with a better phone but of course they cant do that.

I would love to hear what everyone else thinks?

Thanks and great site. I visit here everyday. :D

Ryobi

Banned
Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
30 days is a long time to get to know the phone. Not to mention if you bought it pre-holiday, you had even more time to get to know the shortcomings. That's the reason why you get these trial periods, as I am sure you know.

We were told that 2.1 is coming. From both Verizon and HTC. I have no reason to believe otherwise. Will it make a huge difference? No one knows for sure. Hopefully it will. Including bug fixes. I've been pretty happy with the Eris so far. Things aren't so rosy on the other side either. Go read the verizon android and moto forums regarding the droid.

Best advice I can give you now is if you can't wait for the update, sell it on craigslist and buy something else.

Last edited:

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It's the updates gradually (I think) with the MR's things have gotten worse. You're right about the Gmail and Youtube and yes I do get keyboard lag but I can type away it still registers each touch but slowly which I can deal with. However Youtube not working is pissing me off I mean really Youtube not working on an android device is just BS. Besides that my battery life has gotten as good as my Dad's Droid and i can leave auto-sync on now.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Funny, I have had my Eris exactly 30 days. I live in an area with a marginal signal, but bought a network extender (which is not 3G, but at least allows me to talk on the phone reliably) and use WiFi always for network services. The only thing I had to complain about was the battery life, but with a Seidio 1750 maH battery, things are just fine - I get through the day (yesterday I went to bed with 53% charge left, a record.)

I have very little lagging issue; gmail works perfectly (if it is ever 15 minutes late, it wouldn't bother me, but I have never heard less than a 5 minute lag between the time I notice a new mail on my laptop before I hear the ping on my phone.) I'm using the stock messaging app. It's not great, but good enough. I rarely use YouTube, and probably rarely will, but so far I've had a grand total of one video listed as unavailable (I've probably watched about 20 or so overall; mostly links from the browser.) I once had a task killer installed, but now I do not, and things actually seem better.

I guess we hear more about problems, and I definitely sympathize (after spending two years with a Moto Q9m - ugh.) I hope it all works out for you. Maybe you should consider a factory reset and start all over again? Maybe you have a single app that is causing the lagging, and maybe removing them one at a time for a day or so will prove it out one way or the other?

Best of luck to you. You may still want to go back to Verizon, express your displeasure, and see if they will allow you to swap to a different phone? It can't hurt to try.

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
My eris is fantastic with the exception of the YouTube app. But I just access YouTube with the web browser as a work around. Problem solved!

ronopolis

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
My eris is fantastic with the exception of the YouTube app. But I just access YouTube with the web browser as a work around. Problem solved!
Except you don't get the option for the HQ video. Problem not solved (for me, anyway). I think it is HORRIBLE that HTC let this bug slip in. Very shoddy engineering.

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Except you don't get the option for the HQ video. Problem not solved (for me, anyway). I think it is HORRIBLE that HTC let this bug slip in. Very shoddy engineering.

I've experienced worse (bb storm and all the bb outages). The YouTube issue is bad but I wouldn't call it horrible. It's a known issue and they are working on it.

The only other issue I have is the battery life. Which I knew about before I bought the phone and I'm willing to live with it.

mkarps

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
If your not happy just trade to something else on craigslist. I've had a few problems here and there but coming from a blackberry storm its great to not have to pull the battery out every couple hours. I havent hit any keyboard lag yet and I can type faster than I could on the storm by far.

howlingfantod

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I like the Eris. What phone doesn't have issues? Please let me know so I can get one. :)

Well said! I've been frustrated at times by my Eris, but what annoyances I've had with this phone pale in comparison to owning the iPhone 3G for the first month or two after it came out... ridiculous keyboard lag, system crashes almost daily, GPS often thinking I was 600 miles from where I actually was, and of course, calls dropping right and left... and after a few updates fixed everything (well, everything except that last one), I loved that phone.

Have a little patience with the Eris... it's never going to be cutting-edge, but it's a very capable device.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
30 days is a long time to get to know the phone. Not to mention if you bought it pre-holiday, you had even more time to get to know the shortcomings. That's the reason why you get these trial periods, as I am sure you know.

We were told that 2.1 is coming. From both Verizon and HTC. I have no reason to believe otherwise. Will it make a huge difference? No one knows for sure. Hopefully it will. Including bug fixes. I've been pretty happy with the Eris so far. Things aren't so rosy on the other side either. Go read the verizon android and moto forums regarding the droid.

Best advice I can give you now is if you can't wait for the update, sell it on craigslist and buy something else.

Yes I agree. I did wait awhile to complain about my issues. I am not sure why. maybe I thought there the updates would help which so far they have a bit but I really thought 2.0 or 2.1 would be here by now or very soon.

It's the updates gradually (I think) with the MR's things have gotten worse. You're right about the Gmail and Youtube and yes I do get keyboard lag but I can type away it still registers each touch but slowly which I can deal with. However Youtube not working is pissing me off I mean really Youtube not working on an android device is just BS. Besides that my battery life has gotten as good as my Dad's Droid and i can leave auto-sync on now.

My battery life did get better but then I started visual vm and it got worse. I have a charger at my office and my car so I am not that worried about it. The email is what really bothers me. I rely heavily on my email and if I dont get it I get really pissed. Which was the final straw in this complaint.

Funny, I have had my Eris exactly 30 days. I live in an area with a marginal signal, but bought a network extender (which is not 3G, but at least allows me to talk on the phone reliably) and use WiFi always for network services. The only thing I had to complain about was the battery life, but with a Seidio 1750 maH battery, things are just fine - I get through the day (yesterday I went to bed with 53% charge left, a record.)

I have very little lagging issue; gmail works perfectly (if it is ever 15 minutes late, it wouldn't bother me, but I have never heard less than a 5 minute lag between the time I notice a new mail on my laptop before I hear the ping on my phone.) I'm using the stock messaging app. It's not great, but good enough. I rarely use YouTube, and probably rarely will, but so far I've had a grand total of one video listed as unavailable (I've probably watched about 20 or so overall; mostly links from the browser.) I once had a task killer installed, but now I do not, and things actually seem better.

I guess we hear more about problems, and I definitely sympathize (after spending two years with a Moto Q9m - ugh.) I hope it all works out for you. Maybe you should consider a factory reset and start all over again? Maybe you have a single app that is causing the lagging, and maybe removing them one at a time for a day or so will prove it out one way or the other?

Best of luck to you. You may still want to go back to Verizon, express your displeasure, and see if they will allow you to swap to a different phone? It can't hurt to try.

Thank you for your advice! I think I may try that bigger battery also just to see.

I like the Eris. What phone doesn't have issues? Please let me know so I can get one. :)

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! Which is why, for now, I am keeping the eris. After all my alternatives are the large droid or the touch pro 2 on windows mobile LOL!

Well said! I've been frustrated at times by my Eris, but what annoyances I've had with this phone pale in comparison to owning the iPhone 3G for the first month or two after it came out... ridiculous keyboard lag, system crashes almost daily, GPS often thinking I was 600 miles from where I actually was, and of course, calls dropping right and left... and after a few updates fixed everything (well, everything except that last one), I loved that phone.

Have a little patience with the Eris... it's never going to be cutting-edge, but it's a very capable device.

Thanks. I have never had a lot of patience but thanks to your post I realize that if I have just a little everything will be ok. Thank you for that.

Thanks to everyone for giving me your opinion. I appreciate the honesty without hostility like other sites :)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Also talk about keyboard lag. Coming from an iphone I have no idea how I ever put up with it. I used my wife's the other day and i just about threw that sucker out the window.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday was eventful.....My bluetooth has decided to no longer work properly and just has a bunch of static on it and my volume up button has decided to work whenever it wants.

Ryobi

Banned
Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I connect my Eris to the HandsFree Link on my 08 Acura TL. I have never had a problem. It connects instantly, I can dial hands free to any number in my phonebook or say any number to dial, the sound is loud and crystal clear. I am very happy with the BT performance of the Eris.

Now in contrast, my last phone, the Nokia E71. Nothing but problems connecting to HandsFree Link in my Acura. Couldn't dial out hands free, either by contact name or number, never stayed connected and the voice quality was sub-standard. To dial out I had to pick up the phone, dial the contact or number, wait for it to connect and then hit the Bluetooth button on the phone. Totally not right considering we have the hands free law in NY.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I connect my Eris to the HandsFree Link on my 08 Acura TL. I have never had a problem. It connects instantly, I can dial hands free to any number in my phonebook or say any number to dial, the sound is loud and crystal clear. I am very happy with the BT performance of the Eris.

Now in contrast, my last phone, the Nokia E71. Nothing but problems connecting to HandsFree Link in my Acura. Couldn't dial out hands free, either by contact name or number, never stayed connected and the voice quality was sub-standard. To dial out I had to pick up the phone, dial the contact or number, wait for it to connect and then hit the Bluetooth button on the phone. Totally not right considering we have the hands free law in NY.

I have an 09 Lexus IS350 and it worked until yesterday. Yes we have the same laws were I live. This phone blows.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz