I uninstalled Advanced Task Killer since reading negative info regarding task managers on this and other forums.
    But I'd like to know if there is another way to check to see what apps are running in the background without using a task manager.

In a PC when you do a Cont/Alt/Del it takes you to Task manager, and there you can see what applications are running. Isn't there something similar on the Droid Eris?
    thanks!
    02-02-2010 11:11 AM
    Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications

tap menu, then filter, then Running

this will show you all app running including the OS stuff that you shouldn't be killing so just be aware. you wont hurt anything as they will just reinitialize if you kill them anyway.

it's slow to load up the whole thing but it gets the job done. I personally just use ATK and have no issues but that's been debated and debated so enough said :-).
    02-02-2010 11:35 AM
    Task managers are alright, just don't leave em running. The beef is all of the blackberry users constantly killing processes. Android self polices so its not necessary.

You can download atk, just leave your ocd at the door.
    02-02-2010 03:51 PM
    Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications

tap menu, then filter, then Running
    I did all that, like stated above.
    And I have a LONG list of applications, almost ALL of them.

Is this a list of all the applications that are currently running in my Eris?!
    If it is, geez louise, I gotta start killing apps. Most on the list I never even use.

please let me know if this is a list of the current running apps,
    and if so, how do I KILL the ones I don't use...
    thanks!!!!!!!
    !
    02-02-2010 05:45 PM
    Don't worry about it. If its running, its supposed to be. The system will clean stuff up as needed. If you notice a performance decrease either reboot or look at what apps are open and make sure you close them properly when you're done using them.
    02-02-2010 06:48 PM
    remember there are things that you can't kill regardless of what you do. Most task managers recognize those apps that are part of the OS and just ignore them. You just want to concern yourself on those apps which you have yourself installed.
    02-03-2010 11:40 AM
    what are the apps that should never be killed?

I know that I should just kill the ones I've downloaded, but there are some
    prebuilt apps that I never use and would like to kill, like voice recorder, messages,
    footprints, and others. I'd like to kills those if I am allowed to.
    thanks!
    02-03-2010 06:48 PM
    what are the apps that should never be killed?

I know that I should just kill the ones I've downloaded, but there are some
    prebuilt apps that I never use and would like to kill, like voice recorder, messages,
    footprints, and others. I'd like to kills those if I am allowed to.
    thanks!
    what do you think will be accomplished by killing these tasks? is your phone running slow? battery dying extremely fast? or just ex storm OCD?

to answer your question, if it starts up on boot, then go into the app settings and see if you can disable start up on boot, otherwise leave it be.
    02-04-2010 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD