Throw a newb a bone?

twoof1

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
So up until December '08 I had been a tried & true VZW guy using WinMo phones then I got the iPhone bug and switched to the dark side.
While basically it's a cool toy, between the phone & AT&T's horrible service it totally sucks as a communication device in my area with dropped calls and terrible call quality so I'm looking to come back into the fold and ditch the POS.

Let me preface this with the fact that this is really about being a business tool to handle email, text and phone calls while on the road as a saleman. Right now it's between the Eris and the Pre Plus (not feeling the Moto Droid love).

Last night I downloaded and read through the Eris manual but could not find answers to a couple of questions I hope you guys can clarify for me:

1) Can you open an email attachment like say an Excel file by simply clicking on it within the message or do you have to save it to the SD card, open the corresponding ap and then open the file?

2) On your notifications can you set them to both vibrate and also ring tone alert at the same time for incoming SMS & email?

3) Can you set it up so that if you don't respond to a notification it will continue to remind you that you have unread notifications?

TIA for your responses.
~t

m89maru

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if you've decided yet, but the excel thing can always be fixed with an app. and triple confirmation on the last two. and if you use gmail, android is the device for you hands down. a pre sounds good, but if you've ever had your hands on one, it doesn't scream "business". some might say the eris doesn't really fit that bill either but I think android will still be in business five years from now. Palm won't.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Quickoffice is a standard app (not removable) but you can't edit, only read. there are plenty of apps that can open and edit excel though.

spgiva

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
1) Can you open an email attachment like say an Excel file by simply clicking on it within the message or do you have to save it to the SD card, open the corresponding ap and then open the file?
Sort of; you have to save the attachment to your SD card, but once saved you can open it from the mail application (ie, the phone has does not download the attachment until you ask it to).

Item of note, DocToGo (which I think is currently on sale for 9.99, normally $29.99) is not currently available on the WebOS, while it is available for android. DocToGo is an application that allows you to read, edit and create MS Word, Excel and power point docs on your smartphone. This is a big reason why I have stuck with my Eris, and not gone over to the PalmPre (plus the bucks I would have to shell out as I am not due for an uprade for many many months)

2) On your notifications can you set them to both vibrate and also ring tone alert at the same time for incoming SMS & email?
Yes

3) Can you set it up so that if you don't respond to a notification it will continue to remind you that you have unread notifications?
I think so

Good luck
-spg

twoof1

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
OK so I got my Eris yesterday and so far all is well in Erisland except for one thing. When I pair my phone to my in-car (2010 Audi A4) Bluetooth it will work but will drop the connection after a couple of minutes. I noticed that there is an open discussion on the Google Android code board which seems to affect many makes & models of cars. I was able to pair with my Jawbone Bluetooth no problem but the in-car thing is pretty critical to me.
Anyone have any ideas?