Awake time?

joe_5962

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone tell me about this awake time? Mines at around 45% is this good or bad? Does it need to be lower?
2nd ques. What does native SMS Apps will not let phone sleep?
3rd ques. Has anyone had any problems with there screen locking up where you can't slide down the lock bar to unlock screen?
Sorry for all the questions.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Awake time is what percentage of time your processor is active. 45% means that about half the time since last boot or charge your Phone's been running. When your screen goes black, the processor doesn't automatically sleep. If it's not doing anything, it will quickly sleep but the system will wake it up when it needs to run. With phones that are this much fun to play with, 45% is about average :)

I'm not 100% certain, as I had to send my Eris back before the update came to it but I think the sms wakelock issue was fixed. A current Eris user needs to chime in. What happened (or happens still?) is the phone dialer got locked awake when you sent a text message. To save space and make things run smoother, HTC uses parts of the dialer code to fire up the radio and send off a text. When the HTC dialer was opened this way, it did not shut off like it was supposed to. Third party apps have to open and close the dialer a different way and the dialer knew how to shut down properly then.

Number three is a known issue. It's also very easy to fix, but the phone needs rooted. HTC has enabled their own performance throttle in the kernel. It's completely screwed up lol. It won't let the phone's cpu run at full speed unless the load is very high, and it slows the cpu down so much when load is very low (like when the phone is asleep but it's time to wake up and check for mail..) that the cpu gets pegged and the touch screen function freezes up. Once that throttle is stripped out of the kernel, and normal cpu governors are used, it goes away. And your phone works a whole lot smoother and faster when it's up and running as well.

I hope this issue is fixed with the 2.1 update, but if not as soon as the device is rooted I have you covered. There will be a very simple and easy to understand method posted to root you phone, fix the lag and freeze issues, but still run the approved OS from Verizon.

infg3570

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
gbhil - thank you for debunking the several posts that I've read that the Eris' processor can't handle 2.1!!!!!!! I got mine free and was ready to dump it for the Nexus One, when it comes to VZ, but your last point on the 2.1 update making us love the Eris all over again just brought it home. :D

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
gbhil - thank you for debunking the several posts that I've read that the Eris' processor can't handle 2.1!!!!!!! I got mine free and was ready to dump it for the Nexus One, when it comes to VZ, but your last point on the 2.1 update making us love the Eris all over again just brought it home. :D

No worries. Here's something to help further debunk the myth that the msm7k processor won't run 2.1

1device.png

homescreen running 2.1 with live wallpapers

device.png

About screen

4device.png

Lockscreen proving it's a Hero on Sprint

Since the Eris has basically the same internals, you have nothing to worry about. The build works just fine, as does openGL and 3d gallery, all the goodies.

infg3570

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks again gbhil... that sure looks sweet. Now, is that an official update for the Sprint Hero, or would that be a cooked rom? I'm asking because my brother's gf has the Sprint Hero and I'd love to see up close how 2.1 runs on it...

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Yep. It's built from source using the 2.1 release. Sprint has hero owners waiting just like Big red does for you guys. But it does show what the hardware is capable of.

SURF_AND_TURF

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the pictures I'm debating on trying to load 2.1 now or just wait for the update. I'm new to android and I'm loving my eris but I think a little more speed would be awesome and aome better battery life.

infg3570

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the pictures I'm debating on trying to load 2.1 now or just wait for the update. I'm new to android and I'm loving my eris but I think a little more speed would be awesome and aome better battery life.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but loading 2.1 before the official update would require the Eris to have been rooted. To my knowledge, the doctors are still at work so the chefs can cook!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21