question about v keyboard

akdakd1814

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I own (and love) my LG Dare. But I am considering moving up to a smartphone.

I like what I have read about the Android OS and I figured since I was already used to using a v keyboard that the Eris made more sense for me than the Moto Droid.

But here's the thing - I played with it at the store and the keyboard is considerably smaller than my Dare - I had a horrible time trying to type on it.

Here is my question (remember I really know nothing about any of the many available apps that are out there on the Android market) - is it true I can download an app that has a different keyboard? If so - has anyone done this and are they any good?

I may end up waiting anyway to see the Moto Devour since its release date is close. But if I decide to go for the real keyboard I am not sure why I wouldn't just then get the Droid...but that's a different story! :)

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yup there are several apps you can download for different keyboards. One I have heard of that is a tap keyboard like the stock one is called "Better Keyboard". The stock keyboard isn't bad at all though. Or if you want to try the fun way of typing, go with "Slide-It" or "Swype". With Slide-It and Swype, you just run your finger across the letters, or "swype" it, and the word will pop up. I have tried Swype and Slide-It, but uninstalled Slide-It for personal preference. I absolutely love Swype, takes a while to get used to but in my opinion is much faster and easier than stock. I used to own a hard keyboard (like the Droids) and thought there was no way I would type fast at all with a virtual one. And with Swype you don't even need 2 hands to type, although you can if you want. I never use landscape mode now that I have Swype. Overall if you are worried about having trouble typing on the Eris; don't be. There are many many options out there for you and I guarantee you will forget all about your Dare's keyboard and be typing very fast in no time.

Last edited:

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
The good thing is with verizon you have 30 days to try it or return it. It only takes about a week to get into the full swing of the stock keyboard. My wife was a Blackberry user and she hated the idea of the touch keyboard, but now she's likes it. we both added Swype, and we both love it over the stock keyboard. I'm beta testing another keyboard at the moment and its pretty cool. So, you'll have plenty of other options over the stock keyboard. But I honesty had no issues with the stock keyboard... I'm just a nerd and love tweaking my gadgets out to be different.

akdakd1814

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
So....do I do the early upgrade in nine days and pay $79.99 after the $100 rebate. Plus the $20 early upgrade fee (so really I am paying $99.99) or do I wait until November when I will get the extra $50 off and no fee?

Sigh...I know what the responsible thing to do is...plus who knows what new Android phone might be out by then...but still....

:)

lgldrgdlr

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Plus the $20 early upgrade fee (so really I am paying $99.99)
:)

This is odd. . . I didn't have an early upgrade fee and I just did the same thing you're contemplating. Had the dare and did the early upgrade to the eris. As for your question, I say do it. I have no problems with the keyboard on the eris and I'm easily typing 5 times faster than I ever did on the dare. The predictive text helps quite a bit as well

akdakd1814

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Well....the guy at the store did not say anything about the $20 but when I called into customer service they said there was a fee. And when I looked around online I found plenty of referencs to this being normal. That being said - you can bet that I was going to go back to the store and see what happens there as opposed to doing it online. I am glad to hear you did not get charged - gives me hope.

So...you don't miss your Dare huh? I am guessing the added functionality of any android would take care of that. But I have been happy with the Dare. I am glad to hear that you have not had problems typing - as I stated above - I had all kinds of problems at the store - keys were smaller and seemed closer together. But I also think I'd get used to it pretty quick. To be honest I don't use the Qwerty function all that often on the Dare - so really it may make the learning curve that much faster.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I would go for it. Think of it this way...in November when you go to upgrade to some new phone, you will think about waiting even LONGER to get an even better phone, and the cycle never ends. They will keep coming out with better and better phones as time goes on. I mean if you really LOVE your Dare, and want to save an extra $50, keep it. You won't be disappointed in the future, but you won't be disappointed now if you choose the Eris.

Edit: Just saw your new post thought i'd give you some input on that as well. Trust me you will not miss the Dare at all once you get your hands on the Android OS. You may be happy with the Dare but in my opinion, the second you get the Eris, or any other Android device, you won't want to put it down. It has never ending possibilities of customization that'll keep you playing with it day after day. And don't worry about learning to type, everyone wonders the same thing. But to tell you the 100% truth, it is simple and you will have it nailed down within a week as IzelTokatl said.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10