Verizon Nexus or 2.1 For Eris?

pmdied

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
News has it that Nexus is coming to Verizon March 23rd. Will we have 2.1 for Eris by then? Would it be worth selling my Eris for the Nexus? I have no problem making relatively quick "upgrade" but this all seems a little suspicious in timing....

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
News has it that Nexus is coming to Verizon March 23rd. Will we have 2.1 for Eris by then? Would it be worth selling my Eris for the Nexus? I have no problem making relatively quick "upgrade" but this all seems a little suspicious in timing....

what do you mean suspicious?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
on a hardware level, it would for sure be worth getting the nexus one over the eris.

it just depends on finances, and how much you like sense, but if the verizon nexus can be rooted, it should have sense soon after considering it's almost the same as the tmobile one that has the desire rom running on it.

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I would like to get the 2.1 update on my eris and play with it for a few weeks before making up my mind on the nexus. I truly believe that the 2.1 update will greatly improve the eris. I just wish we would get it sooner than later. I am starting to believe that we will see the OTA closer to March 23. That still falls into Q1 I believe.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure why you think it is suspicious - from the launch of the Nexus One, Google promised that there would be a Nexus One for Verizon in "Spring 2010" - March 23, if correct, surely qualifies for that.

Also, I'd be fairly certain that Verizon will *not* be selling the Nexus One - they will be offering a plan (or plans) for people who buy the Nexus One from Google that offers Verizon service. You will almost surely not be able to buy a Nexus One in a Verizon Wireless store, authorized retailer, or online from verizonwireless.com. Based on how the Nexus One has sold so far, only Google will be selling them.

My thought is that when the Eris gets a 2.1 update is dependent solely on when Verizon has an update that they are sure is ready and which they can support. And, perhaps, is pushed after the Droid's 2.1 update, as the Droid is really their flagship Android handset right now, and I just can't believe that they will want to be selling Erises with 2.1 while the Moto Droid is still 2.0.1.

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
That is exactly why I would want the Nexus, because it is the flagship. The eris was second fiddle to the droid and always will be. Not cracking on the phone but it is simply not a flagship phone. The droid has got 2.0.1 and the eris is still on 1.5.
I may be mistaken but didn't the G1 get updated to 1.6 and has navigation. If I am wrong I apologize. I think the eris is getting left behing for two reasons, Nexus 1 and The Incredible. Deep down, you know they want you to buy another, newer phone as opposed to upgrading your own phone.

pmdied

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps "suspicious" was inappropriate; auspicious is more applicable as I was under the impression from the Verizon rep that sold me the phone that the Eris was essentially a Droid minus the keyboard. I know now that it is not and an OS upgrade should bring the two devices somewhat closer together in performance.
I also understand that it takes longer to apply 2.1 to an HTC device due to overlapping factors.
But I'm also in the sales business and know when things looks coincidental.
Coming from Palm, I find the native PIM woefully inadequate and I find few applications and/or developers creating robust "business" apps that integrate with the PIM.
I mainly want to make sure that I didn't buy what I thought was the better/best smartphone only to be locked into a contract with my carrier and then witness an essentially improved version come onto the market 3 months after I buy the Eris.
So my observation is mainly with Verizon;
Was I lured into buying a good phone running a lower OS and processor only to find out that its OS update is in the same time frame release of a "newer" flagship phone with similar form function (no keyboard).

I'm sure I'm overlooking the basics of business sales that implies progress/product improvement drives sales ;)

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
the G1 was upgraded to 1.6 because it is stock android, wheres any phone with sense on it has to wait for HTC to rework it's UI to be compatible with the newer OS.

i still don't understand why people think the update isn't coming when it's been stated by various sources that it is indeed coming.

personally the thing that bugs me the most about the nexus one is the way it is distributed. there's no way i'm trading the excellent customer service i get at my local verizon store for google's weak support.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps "suspicious" was inappropriate; auspicious is more applicable as I was under the impression from the Verizon rep that sold me the phone that the Eris was essentially a Droid minus the keyboard. I know now that it is not and an OS upgrade should bring the two devices somewhat closer together in performance.
I also understand that it takes longer to apply 2.1 to an HTC device due to overlapping factors.
But I'm also in the sales business and know when things looks coincidental.
Coming from Palm, I find the native PIM woefully inadequate and I find few applications and/or developers creating robust "business" apps that integrate with the PIM.
I mainly want to make sure that I didn't buy what I thought was the better/best smartphone only to be locked into a contract with my carrier and then witness an essentially improved version come onto the market 3 months after I buy the Eris.
So my observation is mainly with Verizon;
Was I lured into buying a good phone running a lower OS and processor only to find out that its OS update is in the same time frame release of a "newer" flagship phone with similar form function (no keyboard).

I'm sure I'm overlooking the basics of business sales that implies progress/product improvement drives sales ;)

so what exactly did you want the rep to say? 3 months ago, anyone at the sales level would have no idea about the release time frame (or even reliable information on existence) of the nexus one, incredible, or even the 2.1 update. even now, the rumored release dates are still just that.

i will say that he didn't describe the phone accurately, as the eris is not a droid minus keyboard, but that's what the 30 day period is for, the 2.1 update will not bring the business end of the phone up to the older palm levels (i find the webOS to be lacking in the same manner as android in that sense)

i'm just really not sure what your gripe is...plus i have a cold and might be a bit crabby. ;)

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I agree with pmdied, i think it is coincidental. Knowing what I know now, I will be hesitant to get another sense ui phone due to the incredibly slow update process. If it is truly that hard to update it then I will be better off getting a stock android phone.

Adiliyo- Yes I believe the update is coming. I just think that the update will not come before a newer sense phone is introduced. I just wish it would come sooner, sorry i'm impatient.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i can make statements too!

the update will arrive on May 25th.

see how easy it is? ;)

joking aside, it would be nice if you were right, but i have my reservations.

aqua - if the only reason the update is being delayed is to help spur sales of the incredible, i would be annoyed as well. but verizon's approval process is pretty notorious on slowing things down, just look at all the blackberry OS updates....i just with we could get the equivalent of their leaks on the eris, but i guess root is necessary before we can get into that.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing....I walked in to a vzw store two weeks ago and the guy tried to sell me the Eris and said the upgrade to 2.1 was released for the Eris that day and showed me an email on his phone that showed it. Two weeks later and I have traded my BB Storm 2 for theirs Eris. Love it, but glad I did not pay for it in the store with the expectation that the upgrade was coming that day.......March 23rd I will be buying the N1 without hesitation. HTC makes quality phones and like the "water" boy said....N1 is the flagship for google!!!!!

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
adiliyo- i'm just saying that it is a little funny how the update and the release dates are so close together. I'm just saying.
I remember the BB OS updates, they weren't bad because we got all the leaks.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
isn't the 23rd the beginning of CTIA? i would think that has more to do with it than a sinister marketing scheme... :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12