Post Droid Eris 2.1 Findings HERE

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Hey fellas. Excitement got the best of me and I installed 2.1. The LEAK, not the real thing from Verizon. KEEP IN MIND, YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO DOWNGRADE CURRENTLY. SO YOU ARE STUCK WITH THE LEAK UNTIL A WAY AROUND IT HAS BEEN FOUND. And YES, I would recommend backing up just incase. I did it using a free trial of a program called "My Backup". SO, here is a pro - con list of findings that I will continue to edit as time goes on, to help you decide on whether or not to download it. Feel free to post below this anything you find, I will add your input to the list as soon as possible! :D

And if you are unaware, 2.1 with root is currently available. It's your call.

2.1 Leak PROS
-New boot screen, faster.
-Quick view of all home screens by pressing home or pinch zooming on homescreen.
-Highly increased lockscreen response.
-New App. Icons.
-New Apps. Include: Facebook, Navigator, Search People.
-Much improved Market, includes filters.
-Add to home now includes the categories: HTC Widget, Android Widget, Program, Shortcut, and Folder.
-Youtube App. Works and in high quality too.
-Camera has different interface and much better response times.
-Overall much faster and snappier performance.
-Settings menu now has color icons and different settings.
-For those of you familiar with the "Backgrounds" App, It now can save pictures to your Albums. Meaning you can use the pictures from that app as lock screens.
-Menu button still bypasses lock screen
-If you like the "pattern" lock screen, it now displays the pattern box, emergency call, time, date, and % of battery left when charging. When drawing the pattern it is also much more responsive.
-GPS seems to be fixed, my location is dead on every time.
-When changing wallpapers, you now have the option to use the Wallpaper gallery for both Home AND Lockscreen.
-New market has all those beautiful apps you wish you could have had before such as google earth and live wallpaper. Although live wallpaper is not usable on this leak.
-Many cool new widgets to add to home such as Power Control to adjust brightness etc.
-Not so sure on battery life, may be worse. Best get a bigger seido one and save yourself the hassle. I would say I had pretty minimal usage today and it left me charging my phone twice in 1 day. Down to nothing in about 9-10 hours.
-Google nav. works virtually flawlessly, tested.
-"Add HTC widgets" option is now available.
-Phone now has feature where when you pick up the phone when it is ringing, it will silence it.
-New Calendar.
-Faster loading of apps.
-Faster switching from Portrait to Landscape mode, or vice versa.
-Full Exchange support.
-Phone does not seem to send "Preceding message modified" message anymore when texting.

2.1 Leak CONS
-Reason for bad battery life is the phone is constantly on Cell Standby. To fix this, turn Airplane mode on, and then back off. You will have great battery after that.
-"Add HTC Widgets" does not seem to work.
-The silence when you pick up the phone feature can get annoying, it will silence in your pocket etc. It can be disabled through the settings though.
-Unable to use live wallpaper.
-Handcent is no longer bugged. Sends texts flawlessly just as it did before.
-My version of Swype seems to be force closing more often now. (If you download the Beta of Swype before it is gone, it fixes this problem entirely.)
-Pinch-zoom will randomly stop working occasionally. Reboot fixes.
-The 4 soft buttons on your screen will occasionally lag.
-Google Earth does not work.
-Occasionally when you reboot your phone, you will need to re-sign into Google.
-Some apps are no longer in the market place due to Dev's not updating them, you will need to download from the internet.
-Some contacts do not sync with Facebook.
-App drawer apps do not stay in list view if switched.

As you can see, the pros clearly outweigh the cons. Since this is a LEAK it obviously has a few minor flaws, but these will most likely be resolved when Verizon ships us the authentic version.

Last edited:

mitchell.23

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Typing is more responsive than before. The browser is better too. Overall it is more responsive and smoother and even more polished than before.

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
1. are the apps that I bought in the market still there? I don't see how to retrieve them.
2. Does this version have the unified mail inbox?

hakoreh

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
is there a way to go back to 1.5 if neccesary? BB users had VZW's site to download the latest. Do they have the same for Android?

johnny9374

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
ok ive been trying this and when it asks me to install update what do i push? nothing works lol ok nvm i think its wrking ha

Last edited:

Ratchet

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
ok ive been trying this and when it asks me to install update what do i push? nothing works lol ok nvm i think its wrking ha

Mine won't get past Hboot. :( Flashes no image very quickly. Ok...scratch that. Appears it's working now. Just had to attempt the install several times.

Last edited:

rw6497

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
2.1 working great . Browsing is very fast and we now have overview when viewing pages. Double tap to zoom in.sweet...typing is also improved. Faster with no lag. Predictive library seems to have improved

jeffgman

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this is because of it being leaked or if its final but NO LIVE WALLPAPERS

It appears reading posts from some of the Verizon testers live wallpapers have been disabled on the Eris. I don't think our phones have enough power to handle live wallpapers. I am not sure if this was a Verizon or HTC decision.

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
At least the underlining API isn't disabled... the weather widget displays clouds across my whole home screen. I'm assuming thats part of the live wallpaper API as I didn't notice that on 1.5.

judasmachine

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
At least the underlining API isn't disabled... the weather widget displays clouds across my whole home screen. I'm assuming thats part of the live wallpaper API as I didn't notice that on 1.5.

I think that's Sense. My g/f's Touch Pro2 got the Winmo 6.5 update and it started doing that too. So it isn't Android, it's Sense UI.

jeffgman

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site

I am pretty sure that is Sense and not live wallpapers. Under 1.5 if you hit the weather section under the clock and brought up the full screen weather app it also showed the weather across the screen. Under 2.1 it now does it on the home screen when you bring it out of sleep.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this is because of it being leaked or if its final but NO LIVE WALLPAPERS

it seems as if google is saying only phones with a snapdragon level processor or better will get LWP, as even the droid isn't supposed to get them in it's 2.1r1 update.

they would slow my droid down when i was running roms with them, it could have been because they weren't optimized, but it was slow nonetheless.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney