Droid vs Droid Eris

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know what the differences are for certain?

Plus are these the only two that are likely for the Nov. 6th release date? This is what I've heard and haven't found more.

I'm super excited to start using Android 2.0! :D

Neutrino

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know what the differences are for certain?

Plus are these the only two that are likely for the Nov. 6th release date? This is what I've heard and haven't found more.

I'm super excited to start using Android 2.0! :D

HTC Sense UI on the Eris
528 MHz processor Qualcomm's MSM7200A
3.2 megapixel
Android 1.5

Droid is Google Experience
552 Cortex A-8
5 megapixel
Android 2.0

Last edited:

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
HTC Sense UI on the Eris
3.2 megapixel
Android 1.5

552 Cortex A-8
5 megapixel
Android 2.0

Are they releasing the Eris with 1.5 because Sense UI won't work yet with 2.0?

or what is the reason behind releasing a back version???

Side question: What are the perks of Sense UI?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
it's pretty, and there are more home screen choices....

that's probably a big reason for 1.5, as current devices with SenseUI don't even have 1.6 iirc

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know if the android devices will be made able to easily update firmware? Will the ones with 1.5, 1.6 be able to update to 2.0? I assume one day Sense UI will be compatible and am wondering if it might be later added through something like a downloadable app... I'm really new to all this and craving knowledge! I mainly just love talking about it because I really think its going to be big.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
for something like sense being added to a 2.0 device it's mostly a matter of HTC creating it and giving it to us, updating (offical) firmwares seems (from what i've read at least) to be fairly straightforward for android devices...

dkramin#AC

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to figure out which device to get. I really like the HTC os but want the 2.0..
Those of you who've been using android platforms, which would you get?

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to figure out which device to get. I really like the HTC os but want the 2.0..
Those of you who've been using android platforms, which would you get?

I'm thinking you want to go with the more powerful device because with android I think you'll be able to find apps that will let you modify how things visually look and feel... just my 0.02

dkramin#AC

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking you want to go with the more powerful device because with android I think you'll be able to find apps that will let you modify how things visually look and feel... just my 0.02

I hear that. Do you think you'll be able to make the Droid look like the Htc as far as home screen goes and 7 screens?:confused: I'm just wondering too if its more a personal pref in the long run since htc will be upgrading their os to 2.0 or if the droid is THAT much better.

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I hear that. Do you think you'll be able to make the Droid look like the Htc as far as home screen goes and 7 screens?:confused: I'm just wondering too if its more a personal pref in the long run since htc will be upgrading their os to 2.0 or if the droid is THAT much better.

I certainly hope we will be able to customize the Droid TO THE MAX! But... Only time will tell, unless someone else has got that info.. Do ya? Do Ya? Anyone?

As for the droid being THAT much better... I've heard its so fast that you will be smiling with giddiness before you even realize it. :D

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
hopefully someone comes out with a home screen replacement or something that looks like the rachael UI that sony's building, that looks like it'd be fun to play with for a while

cdaiscool#AC

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
While the phone's quite customizable, I know there's only 3 home screens. That's one of the selling points of HTC - Sense allows 7 screens. To me, however, that's severe overkill. If you put something on one screen, that's 6 flicks to get to the other side.

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
While the phone's quite customizable, I know there's only 3 home screens. That's one of the selling points of HTC - Sense allows 7 screens. To me, however, that's severe overkill. If you put something on one screen, that's 6 flicks to get to the other side.

I've noticed that what i see is either a left or a right flick... I'm thinking there will eventually be an app that will allow diagonal and up/down flicks to access different screens... I just know that the app community will be providing us some of the sweetest things we've seen... App communities are amazing and with an OS like this... it's going to get even better! :D

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
HTC Sense UI on the Eris
3.2 megapixel
Android 1.5

552 Cortex A-8
5 megapixel
Android 2.0

Check this out
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/htc-droid-eris-peeks-its-head-out-once-more-shows-off-5mp-camer/

Looks like the Eris will have a 5.0 megapixel camera like the Droid and according the recent news of HTC pushing Eclair for their Sprint HTC Hero... I wouldn't be surprised if we see it get updated to Android 2.0 in the near future...

So really, i think it just comes down to whether you want Sense UI or a faster phone. You can always find an app that will customize the looks though so, with that being said, it really should just be the matter of how fast of a phone would you like and which phone do you personally like the looks and feel of better.

dmcgroggan3

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
In terms or Eris vs Droid,
The Eris is not meant to be the powerhouse Android phone that the Droid is. It just amazes me how people bang on the Droid for not having as high a clock speed of the processor, the arm8 is twice as fast as an arm11, just get over the 550mhz, the Droid is plenty fast and will be the fastest Android on the market by far until a snapdragon Android comes out. If you are not needing the Physical keyboard and you want a bigger cpu, just wait, maybe something with the snapdragon without a keyboard not too far off. ;)

And I wouldn't expect 2.0 on the Hero or the Eris right away!

Last edited:

LtVerizonmgr

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
After using both, I am torn on which one I like better.

The Moto Droid with Android 2.0 is amazing and Google Navigation is sweet. Camera is amazing.

However, I feel that the touch response is much better on the Eris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer