How should I go about the first charge cycles of this battery?

Amazon.com: Innocell 4000mAh Extended Life Battery for use with HTC EVO 3D - Black: Electronics

I've heard you should charge it for 3-4 hours past full charge. Then use the phone down to 0%, then recharge it to 100%. I've also read I should only wait until it is 20%, then re-charge. Which is it?
    02-12-2012 04:39 PM
    Li-Ion should not be completely discharged, avoid taking it down to the point of the phone shutting off. I have an extended battery and simply charged it to %100 and used it as normal.
    02-13-2012 12:22 AM
    I actually manage a Batteries Plus and just read a book about rechargeable batteries called Batteries in a Portable World. You're right, there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

The good news is that Lithium-ion is one of the most user friendly battery chemistries to date. They don't require any strict break in procedure to hit max capacity, and there are few things you could do to it to significantly shorten it's life.

Try to keep them at a moderate temperature. Cold increases impedance, heat accelerates degradation.

Don't leave it on the charger for extended periods (12hr+). The battery will "short cycle" once it has reached a full charge.

The battery is most "happy" between a state of charge of 30 and 80%. However, it is recommended that every 40 cycles or so, you perform a full discharge and full recharge to calibrate the battery. While Lithium-ion does not suffer from traditional nickel based memory, one can experience what is known as digital memory. Some phone batteries are not advanced enough to run into this problem, but it's difficult to decipher which do and which do not.
    02-23-2012 05:29 AM
    Yep, let it rock till charged and you should be good to go, there are battery apps that have alarms and what not, so when the battery reaches full an alarm goes off and let's you know its time to unplug it... I try to stay away from the "short cycles" I want my extended battery to be as charged as possible before I start my 12+ hour days..

Shot from my sharp shooter in 3d
    03-02-2012 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD