Picked Up a 64GB Micro SD Card

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
And I must say I couldn't be happier. I can now have all of my music on my phone, which means less reliance on my ipod/Apple. It also means I can keep more movies/TV shows on my phone for when we are traveling. Combine that with the app BT mono where I can hear my movies through my BT earpiece and I have almost the ultimate media phone. :D

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think the Evo 3D could handle anything bigger than 32GB.

Original SD cards (SD standard capacity or SDSC) could only go up to 2GB. That's why a lot of older stuff can't handle anything bigger than 2GB.

High capacity SD (SDHC) goes up to 32GB. That's why most phones specs specify expanable up to 32GB or something like that.

SDXC (extended capacity) goes up to 2TB. I'm surprised that the Evo 3D plays nice with an 64GB SDXC card.

Edit: just did a little research and found this... (swiped from wikipedia)

SDHC host devices will accept SDXC cards that follow Version 3.0, since the interface is identical,[3] but the following issues may affect usability:

*SDXC cards are pre-formatted with Microsoft's proprietary and patented exFAT file system, which the host device might not support. Since Microsoft does not publish the specifications of exFAT and its use requires a non-free license, many alternative or older operating systems do not support exFAT for technical or legal reasons. The use of exFAT on some SDXC cards may render SDXC unsuitable as a universal exchange medium, as an SDXC card that uses exFAT would not be usable in all host devices. Since the FAT32 file system supports volumes up to the SDXC's maximum theoretical capacity of 2 TB as well, a user could reformat an SDXC card to use FAT32 for greater portability between computers (see below). FAT32-formatted SDXC cards can be used in a host device built for SDHC if the host device can handle 64GB and larger volumes.

*SDHC host devices will not test the new capability bits defined for SDXC 4.0 cards. It will therefore not be able to use the new features of SDXC, such as transfer speeds above UHS104 (104MB/s).

(from Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Last edited:

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
As it was explained to me, the first thing you have to do when you get your new 64GB card is put it in your phone. It acts like it doesn't want to play nice, but then gives you the option to re-format the card. Allow it to do this and then you are all set to go (I believe re-formatting gets you around the FAT problem, but don't quote me on that). I then copied everything off of my 32GB onto my 64GB and it works perfectly.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok, What brand and How expensive is it?

The one I got was the SanDisk Mobile Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Flash Card with Adapter Model SDSDQY-064G-A11A. I got mine from newegg and it was $121 shipped, but they are currently out of stock and aren't sure if they will restock. I've seen it on Amazon for around that price as well.

Reactions: pmjj

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That seems massively over-priced.

Sadly many things are in our world these days! :(

Either way if the OP is happy that's all that matters! I still got my crappy 8Gig card that came with my Evo 3D! Only using 4Gigs of space but I don't use music on my device. Just apps and a few pictures here and there I guess.

Dough54321

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I just put a 16GB in mine. It tells me it's full when transferring apps even though it says 9GB free after copying the old files from the 8GB card onto it. When I turn on the camera, it tells me I have 7hours of recording time. Soooooo, what did I do wrong?

evo4ken

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded both my tablet (HTC EVO View) and my phone (HTC EVO 3D) to 64gb on each one. I have to say I was seriously disappointed when I inserted the new 64gb cards and they did not work!

What I did was take the new 64gb cards which was factory formatted exFAT and reformatted them to NTFS. Inserted the cards into each device and VIOLA! Success! They are both installed and working perfectly.

IMAG0055-1.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: the2ndflood

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
That seems massively over-priced.

It's all relative. Compared to the cost when they first came out, that's pretty cheap. Lol. And yes, it is a lot to spend, but considering how often I have used the eatra space since I bought it, to me it's been worth every penny.

I plug my ipod into my car and it's a pain to get it in and out each day, so now by having all of my music on my phone I can listen to my music anywhere I want. I just bought the Creative D80 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker for my office and I can listen to music all day without having to actually connect my phone to the speaker. It's a great setup.

To me it's money well spent, but then again I have always been a gadget guy. The only downside is all of the new phones coming out that do not have an SD Card slot. I guess I will be hanging on to my 3D a little longer now.

stanlm2

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I upped to 64 too, love local storage.. I hope they hurry up and get 2TB cards out (so the price can start coming down, no doubt it would be a crazy price today)

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You might want to be careful with this. I know at least my own deck in my car won't recognize an NTFS flash drive.

It's easier for me to just upload everything to Google and Amazon and stream it in the car.

SoCoolCurt

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Gents

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I also just got mine from Amazon for $99, but it works and I love having all my pics, movies and music on local storage, ready to go no matter where I am. I too will hold on to my 3vo for a while longer. Thanks for the heads up on this card. It works great.

hitman4274

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I know its not quit the same... But why in the world would you waste your money on a huge card when there are so many cloud services out there...

And it would prolly be cheaper to use a couple smaller cards..to each his own.. glad your happy with it... Just my 2 pennies

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc