No need for a case :)

neilept

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the way the 3d is built that I have no need for a case. With the rubberized back, the battery cover that covers the sides, and the way the screen is recessed somewhat, it seems like it was designed as if it has a case on it already. While I miss my kickstand, this phone is really designed well. While at first I didn't like it being narrower, it does fit better in my hand.

Have to say, great job HTC!

firemedic1343

May 30, 2010
Visit site
To each his own. I don't buy insurance, so some people call me crazy. But with the $168 over 2 years plus the $100 or so deductible, I'd rather risk it. Especially since there are 2 phones on my plan. I'd rather just buy a used Evo OG 4G off ebay if I screw up my 4G.

rahrah12

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The main reason I got a case was because I didn't like the idea of setting the phone down on the 3D lens.

My Treo's never had a case and for some reason I was able to hang onto that cloth sleeve that came with the Pre.

I usually get insurance for 1 year and drop it.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
going case free as well. but I don't like it so far. well, I love it caseless, but putting it down on it's back a lot, I hate that it's basically leaning on the edge of the camera border. I can't put it face down either because of no lip.

and now, I'm kind of liking the idea of a kickstand case especially at work. so... if someone has a case w/ the same material as the stock battery backing w/ a kickstand, I'm game =) or at least a similar material.. I'll make my own stand at work if I have to, heh

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I need a case because of camera lens. The body glove case makes the device look awesome and protects the lens. I also do much cycling and have a smartphone bike mount on my handle bars. You must lock it in tight so it is secure and I will not do that without a case.

EVO - LUTION 3D

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, plus the BB insurance is helpful invade something does go wrong

Will best buy charge deductible for damaged phones? For sprint TEP it's $100 deductible. I may switch. The only thing I don't like is that they dont cover lost or stolen.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I need a case because of camera lens. The body glove case makes the device look awesome and protects the lens. I also do much cycling and have a smartphone bike mount on my handle bars. You must lock it in tight so it is secure and I will not do that without a case.

EVO - LUTION 3D

Same here. I'm afraid of messing up the rear camera lens. I may just get one of those back case cover like I had on my EVO 4g just to protect the back.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

EVO - LUTION 3D

I wouldn't worry about the camera lense...

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-cover-official-htc-response.html#post1007503

And if the front screen is anything like the OG EVO, no worries there either. I have my OG EVO for 12 months with no case or screen protector and it never got a scratch on it. Kept it in my front pocket at all times. The only thing a case is really going to protect you from is a hard fall. But there are tons of youtube videos of guys throwing their OG EVOs all over the place and nothing happening. I'm just not willing the take the added size to my already large device for a slight increase in not getting broken during a fall. I'll take the insurance hit for a replacement.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have got a hip case for mine. But else wise, i like it better with a case on it. Plus i have the igrip car dock, cant really use a case with that.

Sent from my 3D EVOlution

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I have got a hip case for mine. But else wise, i like it better with a case on it. Plus i have the igrip car dock, cant really use a case with that.

Does your hip case have enough room for the EVO3D with a case like the Body Glove or other slim (barely there) cases?

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Does your hip case have enough room for the EVO3D with a case like the Body Glove or other slim (barely there) cases?

I have used the generic sprint leather case with a belt clip since my pre. The evo fits perfect in it even with a case.

EVO - LUTION 3D

thatguy7#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the OP. I haven't ever had a case on any of my phones. The Evo 3D seems to be in a case already. I will, however, do use screen protectors.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm pretty sure the igrip car dock has a removable insert that will allow a cased EVO to be docked. Check it...

iGRIP - Holding Solutions for Cell Phones, Navigation Devices & MP3 Players

Below the main image, the second thumbnail in the top row show the insert being removed and indicates is can be docked with a case!

JKTex

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the igrip car dock has a removable insert that will allow a cased EVO to be docked. Check it...

iGRIP - Holding Solutions for Cell Phones, Navigation Devices & MP3 Players

Below the main image, the second thumbnail in the top row show the insert being removed and indicates is can be docked with a case!

Correct. I just bought one and tried an Otterbox Commuter in it while I was there. The shape of the case make about as much difference as the size. The Commuter would work but needed a little finagling and the USB port cover would have to be cut off, or pulled through the front (which would be goofy) to keep it out of the way. I didn't buy it only because I wasn't 100% sure I could get it to be an easy drop in as it is with the insert and the EVO 3D naked.

I also tried another thinner case but it was slightly too long and would not fit in the dock at all, only because of length and the shape of the ends.

I can see it working with a lot of cases, but you really need to try it first. I'm pretty sure the Commuter case would have ended up working OK and I may regret not buying it (and getting the 25% discount) along with the **** and another Commuter case for another EVO.

roark1138

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought the iGrip car dock and was hoping the Commuter case would work, but I don't think they are good match, unfortunately. I can see myself eventually screwing up the USB port trying to jam things in there.

I eventually passed on the Commuter -- though it's a great case!

Instead, I've got an Invisible ZAGG and am hoping that Powermat will release a receiver back for the 3VO. Fingers crossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech