What is the difference in the Impact and Commutter

mrazzino

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
curious what the difference is. their website does not really explain the difference.
Near the bottom of both pages for these cases there is a link for tech specs. That opens a PDF and shows the case in good detail.

I believe the difference is that the Impact does not include a hard case that clips around the silicone layer. The Impact is just a silicone rubber case, whereas the Commuter has a silicone layer with a plastic hard shell that goes around that. Impact = slimmer, less protection, $15 cheaper.

Hope that helps...

Reactions: ulikabbq

techh10

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
impact = silicon case
commuter = silicon inside plastic case outside
defender = thick plastic case inside really thick silicon outside with belt holster

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
to be clear, the impact silicone is different than the one for the commuter, it's a bit thicker with "distribution cells" to absorb impact.

I think they both are pretty close in size, but haven't seen them side by side for the evo 3d

thomasanderson

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
And the impact case actually covers more of the front of the phone. There is another thread where a guy with the commuter dropped his Evo 3d and it landed on its face, and because there is no protection on the front his screen cracked. I guess the commuter is more expensive due to aesthetics. For protection I recommend the impact series(like I had on my original Evo) or the defender(what I now have on the 3d).

Reactions: BiGsMiLeSKyLe

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
And the impact case actually covers more of the front of the phone. There is another thread where a guy with the commuter dropped his Evo 3d and it landed on its face, and because there is no protection on the front his screen cracked. I guess the commuter is more expensive due to aesthetics. For protection I recommend the impact series(like I had on my original Evo) or the defender(what I now have on the 3d).

since you have had both, how's the bulk of the impact relative to the defender (as best as you can guess since they're different phones)?

3dognate

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Defender, there's no doubt it will protect the phone from some serious abuse... If I worked contruction or something... this would be my case. But it is not pocket friendly. I took it back and went with a Pt Platinum case with holster and I'm very please so far with it... my local BB didn not have the Commuter or Impact for me to try...

thomasanderson

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
since you have had both, how's the bulk of the impact relative to the defender (as best as you can guess since they're different phones)?
Since the impact uses a thicker type of silicone, the bulk difference between it and the defender isnt too severe. People say the defender isnt pocket friendly, but since I wear mostly cargo pants/shorts and slacks instead of fitted jeans like my wife;) I find that it fits in my pocket just fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21