[HOW-TO] Get WiFi Tether working on you EVO 3D!

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not using a custom rom yet so this is my own only option for now. And so far this new release has been the only thing that's worked.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

carrie rick

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok u guys I'm trying to do this whole tetherring think but I can't fine were it says MSSG clamping and routinging fix can dmeone please help me please

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
yea you need to open the app, then hit your menu button on your phone and go to settings... its in that listing. Hope this helps and good luck.

swooshpimp

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
This also worked for me. Before just using regular Wifi Tethering none of those for root worked on my Evo 3D. I am good to go now. Thanks for the post and sharing.

chong67

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Most cook ROM include this and its all in one deal.

I ROOT it this past week and my 3D is giving some of that data love to my wife's HTC Sensation. Life goes on. Thanks!

CMILD561

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
didnt work.

how do i install the apk? just drop it into any directory via USB mode? got my phone to broadcast an SSID signal but other device couldnt connect. I do not see "MSSG Clamping and Routing Fix " options anywhere in the settings.

tbdawg

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd add to this thread for those who are running OTA 2.08.651.3 (I just got my EVO 3D a few days ago and that's what was on it (I think the guy behind the counter updated it without asking me)) After rooting the phone and reading through a few threads I was unable for the last few days to get wifi tethering to work. I did finally just a few hours ago get it working. Here's how:

Get latest version of Wifi Tether (Currently 3.1 beta 6) and install.

(YOU MAY BE ABLE TO IGNORE THE BARNACLE STEPS, TRY JUST INSTALLING AND RUNNING THE LATEST VERSION OF WIFI TETHER WITH PROPER SETTINGS 1ST!)
Get Barnacle Wifi and install.

Open Wifi Tether press Menu > Settings > Check Routing Fix and MSS Clamping (my 3G wouldn't work very well without it)
Also under Change Device-Profile select HTC Evo 3D. Thanx @CarrieK!

Start Wifi Tether and Touch screen to Start Tethering and accept Superuser. Then again to Stop Tethering and accept Superuser.

Now Start Barnacle Wifi and Touch Start. If you get an error about wap_***** just accept ok so that it will run anyway. (If the Start button doesn't change to Stop you did it wrong, just run it again) Accept any Superuser requests.

Now Touch the Stop button in Barnacle Wifi. Accept any Superuser requests.

Press and hold the Home button or drag the taskbar down so that you can see your recently used applications (leaving Barnacle running) and select Wifi Tether again.

Go to Menu > Settings and Enable wifi encryption if you wish and set your passphrase etc. You may also Enable Access-Control.

Make a 4G connection (set phone to 4G). Check to see if it is working.

Stop Wifi Tethering and set phone to 3G and restart Wifi Tethering. Check to see if it's working.

Stop Wifi Tethering. Stop Barnacle. Uninstall barnacle. Use Wifi Tethering normally.

This is what worked for me. Hope it helps someone else out.

Last edited:

eovnu87435ds

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I'm blind or what, but it seems to me that some settings are missing from the settings menu. I used the exact apk the OP posted, and in settings, I find MSS clamping, but thats it. In fact, here is my entire settings list...

--Wifi
Change device-profile
change setup-method
enable wifi-encryption
change passphrase
change ssid
hide ssid
change channel
--Security
Enable access-control
--LAN
Change LAN
MSS clamping
--Domain-nameserver
change preferred dns
change alternate dns
--Notifications
client notification mode
notification ringtone
vibrate on connect
--miscellaneous
disable update check
disable wake-lock
battery temperature

Yup, no routing fix to be seen, which I assume is why I can authenticate with my phone from a client device, but I get no DHCP address(the device always self-assigns one after a minute or so)

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This is the one that ended up working for me, and it has all the settings.

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

Just changed the device to EVO 3D and checkmark the Enable routing fix in Settings. This is the same as the link above... I apologize. I thought I was posting something different. On a different note, I didn't have to install Barnacle first, all I did was installed the linked file and changed the two settings mentioned above.

Reactions: tbdawg

tbdawg

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
@CarrieK, it's good to know that you didn't have to install barnacle first. I had been messing with it for quiet some time and it may have been something to do with some of the things I had previously done that made it to were it wouldn't work until I had installed barnacle. Once I had it working though I was able to uninstall Barnacle.

P.S. Thankx for noting the Device-Profile Setting, I hadn't even bothered to check until you mentioned it, cause it wasn't there in the earlier versions I tried.

Reactions: CarrieK

wraithofthemist

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
So quick question. It's a little off topic but as far as rooting to be able to use WiFi tethering, are you able to use HTC's unlock method to root the EVO 3d when already updated to 2.08.651.3?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670