[HOW-TO] Get WiFi Tether working on you EVO 3D!

ShaunyMac424

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd add to this thread for those who are running OTA 2.08.651.3 (I just got my EVO 3D a few days ago and that's what was on it (I think the guy behind the counter updated it without asking me)) After rooting the phone and reading through a few threads I was unable for the last few days to get wifi tethering to work. I did finally just a few hours ago get it working. Here's how:

Get latest version of Wifi Tether (Currently 3.1 beta 6) and install.

(YOU MAY BE ABLE TO IGNORE THE BARNACLE STEPS, TRY JUST INSTALLING AND RUNNING THE LATEST VERSION OF WIFI TETHER WITH PROPER SETTINGS 1ST!)
Get Barnacle Wifi and install.

Open Wifi Tether press Menu > Settings > Check Routing Fix and MSS Clamping (my 3G wouldn't work very well without it)
Also under Change Device-Profile select HTC Evo 3D. Thanx @CarrieK!

Start Wifi Tether and Touch screen to Start Tethering and accept Superuser. Then again to Stop Tethering and accept Superuser.

Now Start Barnacle Wifi and Touch Start. If you get an error about wap_***** just accept ok so that it will run anyway. (If the Start button doesn't change to Stop you did it wrong, just run it again) Accept any Superuser requests.

Now Touch the Stop button in Barnacle Wifi. Accept any Superuser requests.

Press and hold the Home button or drag the taskbar down so that you can see your recently used applications (leaving Barnacle running) and select Wifi Tether again.

Go to Menu > Settings and Enable wifi encryption if you wish and set your passphrase etc. You may also Enable Access-Control.

Make a 4G connection (set phone to 4G). Check to see if it is working.

Stop Wifi Tethering and set phone to 3G and restart Wifi Tethering. Check to see if it's working.

Stop Wifi Tethering. Stop Barnacle. Uninstall barnacle. Use Wifi Tethering normally.

This is what worked for me. Hope it helps someone else out.

I didn't even have to install Barnacle at all as long as I followed the rest of these directions. I've been trying to get wifi tether to work since the day I rooted my 3D, and tonight was the first night I got it to work. Thanks a lot!

RepsolRider

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just rooted my evo 3d. I did it through the HTC website since I had the 1.5 HBOOT. No I have downloaded the wifi app here and gave it superuser access. It can connect to my HP laptop which is running Windows 7 x86. It is a little bit older laptop and I have heard that it might have issues connecting due to the older wifi card. So it connects but doesn't allow any internet access. It says it had a dns error when I diagnose the problem. Any ideas about what to do?

NewEVO3D215

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Wifi Tethering APK for a while now. I downloaded the latest one from there website and it works fine for me both 3g and 4g. I do have MSS clamping and routing fix both checked. long ago I read in another thread that they both needed to be checked in order for the app to work. Does anyone know why it's not available on the market anymore? At one point and time you could get it straight from the market.:)

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Once you get WiFI Tethering working does it turn your phone into an access point? In other words, can I use my Touchpads wireless app and discover the phone and access the EVO that way?

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Really? Nobody knows if this app makes the phone a wifi hotspot that allows any wireless device to connect to the phone for internet access? Help a noobie out.

Last edited:

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted my phone from the HTC site (HBOOT 1.5) and decided to install this tether apk and now I have no Wifi, 4G and the Tether does not work. I have deleted the app and tried to reinstall it and now it won't even reinstall it. WTF? Is there a way to fix my radio? If not, how do I flash my 3D back to orginal factory setting. I have tried to reset the phone via CWM and through phone and the wifi is still broke. (states Error) Please help.

tke297

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my EVO3D using the HTC Method since I have the HROOT 1.5 on my EVO3D. I downloaded and installed the WIFI Tether App, but every time I try running the application, it says "Sorry, but your kernel does not have all necessary features for running this application" how do I grant the proper access to WIFI Tether so it will run?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Once you get WiFI Tethering working does it turn your phone into an access point? In other words, can I use my Touchpads wireless app and discover the phone and access the EVO that way?

Yes, that's the whole point. You laptop, tablet, other smartphones, anything can connect to it.

tbdawg

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
If you have recently done the OTA Update to ICS for your Evo 3D go to Menu -> Settings -> Change Device-Profile and set to Generic ICS or you may encounter errors while using WiFi Tether.

csboy13

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If you have recently done the OTA Update to ICS for your Evo 3D go to Menu -> Settings -> Change Device-Profile and set to Generic ICS or you may encounter errors while using WiFi Tether.

I tried what everyone else said and this is what worked for me. Thanks

stevek28

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
No matter what version of wifi tether I use I still get the same errors on startup log: failed softap and failed wifi interface. Yes I am rooted (wifi tether verifies that)

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
No matter what version of wifi tether I use I still get the same errors on startup log: failed softap and failed wifi interface. Yes I am rooted (wifi tether verifies that)
Try this. Go into superuser app and set the access for the wifi app to grant or allowed which ever and save

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol