02-17-2013 07:49 PM
263 ... 7891011
tools
    so now the question is... is this the .02% of the time to listen to ya! LOL u set urself up for that one hahaha. jk
    Yes, you got me on that one... Got me good! lol
    08-21-2011 04:43 PM
    Well, it seems this was one of the .02% of time to listen to Scrosler. I got it rooted and recovery on it and it seems to be working okay so far. Gotta test everything. Lost all my apps but that doesn't bother me so much. Just too lazy to backup before completing everything. Now to do research on ROMS....
    08-22-2011 12:40 AM
    I checked my phone prior to attempting a root and noticed that i have hboot 1.5 on my phone. Am i basically screwed for right now?
    08-22-2011 01:05 PM
    somewhat of a noob question, but i was just on xda website and noticed that the version of TWRP is v1.0.3 and i checked my version and it is v1.0.1. should i update to v1.0.3 and if so do i just put the zip(after extracting) in the root to update? will it mess anything up with v1.0.1. let me know and thanks for the help.
    08-22-2011 03:00 PM
    somewhat of a noob question, but i was just on xda website and noticed that the version of TWRP is v1.0.3 and i checked my version and it is v1.0.1. should i update to v1.0.3 and if so do i just put the zip(after extracting) in the root to update? will it mess anything up with v1.0.1. let me know and thanks for the help.

Take the zip, rename to "PG86IMG.zip" place in root directory of SD Card. Bootinto fast boot. Apply image. Reboot. Delete image from SD Card.

Its a bug fix edition and can be flashed without any issue over the current version.
    lfnsr likes this.
    08-22-2011 04:39 PM
    Take the zip, rename to "PG86IMG.zip" place in root directory of SD Card. Bootinto fast boot. Apply image. Reboot. Delete image from SD Card.

Its a bug fix edition and can be flashed without any issue over the current version.
    Thanks. Just updated it. Thought I would check before doing it just in case since I am still learning. Appreciate it!
    08-22-2011 04:59 PM
    I checked my phone prior to attempting a root and noticed that i have hboot 1.5 on my phone. Am i basically screwed for right now?
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I downloaded all the required apps/driver/sdk's and the Revolutionary tool only has an option for hboot 1.30 and 1.40. No option for 1.50.
    08-23-2011 09:58 PM
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I downloaded all the required apps/driver/sdk's and the Revolutionary tool only has an option for hboot 1.30 and 1.40. No option for 1.50.
    You accepted the latest update. I think you are stuck until root is achieved with this new update. I have not been paying attention to what is going on with this but just by the timing I doubt HTC closed the door on the exploit used to attain root. Someone here will correct me if I am wrong but if I am correct you'll have to wait until the Revolutionary team works it out.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    vchengap likes this.
    08-23-2011 10:33 PM
    You accepted the latest update. I think you are stuck until root is achieved with this new update. I have not been paying attention to what is going on with this but just by the timing I doubt HTC closed the door on the exploit used to attain root. Someone here will correct me if I am wrong but if I am correct you'll have to wait until the Revolutionary team works it out.

See post #197 in this thread for the answer
    08-23-2011 11:10 PM
    See post #197 in this thread for the answer
    Really? You are going to point him in that direction? This line right here is enough for me to stay far away from this.......
    Go to HTCDev.com and sign up as a user. Then goto Unlock Bootloader->Get Started->Begin Unlock Bootloader. Agree to the legal terms, proceed all the way to Step 10 and paste the token you just copied.

Umm yeah, I don't think so. If your comfortable with it then root away, personally I would wait it out. Oh and good luck with flashing a custom kernel. I quote Jerry Hildenbrand here......

" Waiting to see how this all plays out is probably the wise decision"
    08-24-2011 09:07 PM
    Really? You are going to point him in that direction? This line right here is enough for me to stay far away from this.......
    Go to HTCDev.com and sign up as a user. Then goto Unlock Bootloader->Get Started->Begin Unlock Bootloader. Agree to the legal terms, proceed all the way to Step 10 and paste the token you just copied.

Umm yeah, I don't think so. If your comfortable with it then root away, personally I would wait it out. Oh and good luck with flashing a custom kernel. I quote Jerry Hildenbrand here......

" Waiting to see how this all plays out is probably the wise decision"
    WHo said you cant flash a custom kernel?
    08-24-2011 11:30 PM
    WHo said you cant flash a custom kernel?
    I have been speed reading through a bunch of blogs and articles during short five minute breaks at work and I have been seeing a bunch of people saying you can and some saying you cannot. So I may have jumped the gun on that one. Another quote from Jerry.

"I'm worried because of conflicting reports about whether or not you can Flash a new boot partition and kernel. Some say yes, some say no "

08-24-2011 11:58 PM
    In this case I think people are genuinely confused. They may be reporting this kernel flashing issue because they are flashing kernels sourced on 2.3.3 and not 2.3.4... Which will cause boot loop / soft brick issues but is fully recoverable by flashing a 2.3.4 kernel. I have flashed all eMMC update partions EXCEPT hboot and recovery (pg2fs, radio, rcdata, rpm, sbl's, tz) and have not had any issues updating anything . I cannot tell you with 100% certantanty that the new HTC unlocks method stops you from flashing the correct kernel but I can say it with about 99.99% certainty. Until I actually try it I will reserve .01% for possibilities.

Secondly, I know more than a few people that have unlocked using the HTC method and had no problems flashing my 2.x series ROM. My 2.0 series ROMS have a modified 2.3.4 kernel. So that alone mutes the issue I feel your sources dont really understand the process of ROM / Kernel building and are spewing inaccurate information.

Thirdly, I would have never recommended something that would render a device not able to flash my ROM (with the modified kernel). You know me better than that!

In other words, trust me, it will work just as good as Revolutionary did.

-Scott
    08-25-2011 12:22 AM
    Guess what?!?!?!

Im wrong! Doesnt happen very often....

But here is the scoop....

If you had S-OFF before the HTC Dev method you can flash custom kernels just fine.

If you took the OTA before you did S-OFF you are hosed, you an only flash the OS.

I hope that clarifies. I took the OTA and tested it. I dont have the testicular fortitude to go back to S-ON to test the research I have done but I believe it to be accurate at this time.
    08-29-2011 02:52 PM
    Anyone got a fix for those getting the "waiting for device" message? An answer besides "uninstall and re-install the drivers". I've done that more times than I can count and have yet to achieve root. Not a noob, been in the forums for a while, rooted my OG Evo and flashed rom after rom, so I know what I'm doing. This seems to be an issue that's not affecting many, so, I guess most don't care, but I feel like someone has to know definitively how to help us past this.
    08-30-2011 02:47 AM
    Ok I'm buying a new 3D today, adding a new line of service to my plan. Presuming that it already has all the latest ROM updates, can I still install CleanROM (or other custom ROMs) after rooting via the official method? I presume I won't get the modified kernel, but will the rest still install? (Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere... SOOO many pages to wade through and no "unique" search words to try...)

EDIT: although new (supposedly), the phone shipped with GB 2.3.3 and Hboot 1.4... so rooted with Revolutionary, no problem.
    08-30-2011 06:11 PM
    Anyone got a fix for those getting the "waiting for device" message? An answer besides "uninstall and re-install the drivers". I've done that more times than I can count and have yet to achieve root. Not a noob, been in the forums for a while, rooted my OG Evo and flashed rom after rom, so I know what I'm doing. This seems to be an issue that's not affecting many, so, I guess most don't care, but I feel like someone has to know definitively how to help us past this.
    Uninstall sync?
    08-30-2011 07:12 PM
    Uninstall sync?
    Use Linux. Always works. No issues. No drivers needed.
    08-30-2011 07:51 PM
    what he said, lol
    08-30-2011 09:35 PM
    Linux Method has just been posted for all you NON WINDOWS users. Thanks to basket for THIS one.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...ry-perm-r.html

Dont forget to share the THANKS love !
    08-31-2011 12:56 PM
    Guess what?!?!?!

Im wrong! Doesnt happen very often....

But here is the scoop....

If you had S-OFF before the HTC Dev method you can flash custom kernels just fine.

If you took the OTA before you did S-OFF you are hosed, you an only flash the OS.

I hope that clarifies. I took the OTA and tested it. I dont have the testicular fortitude to go back to S-ON to test the research I have done but I believe it to be accurate at this time.
    UPDATE: I have confirmed that even with S-ON you can now flash overclocking kernels (For the proper OS version)!

So to clarify, if you use the HTC Unlock method you can indeed flash any ROM and kernel you choose. S-ON / S-OFF is no longer relevant!

To flash a custom kernel with S-ON see here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [GUIDE] HTC Unlock for Hboot 1.50 + Root + TWRP Recovery

This is excellent news!
    derossi#AC and benny3 like this.
    09-01-2011 02:01 PM
    ^ good info thanks
    09-03-2011 01:56 PM

[WARN]BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE....

Reboot into Bootloader and choose Recovery.

MAKE A BACKUP!
    Now you are good to go! Next is root...
    [/WARN]

Hmmm... When I go into "Recovery", it immediately goes blank, save for a medium sized icon of my phone, and on top of that is a red exclamation point inside a red triangle.

What's that about??
    09-06-2011 04:03 AM
    Hmmm... When I go into "Recovery", it immediately goes blank, save for a medium sized icon of my phone, and on top of that is a red exclamation point inside a red triangle.

What's that about??
    Seems to me like you dont have a custom recovery on there yet?
    KnoxBNYC#AC likes this.
    09-06-2011 11:26 AM
    Seems to me like you dont have a custom recovery on there yet?
    And apparently I can't. It says my device (the Sprint HTC EVO 3D) is not supported because it has HBOOT version 1.50.0000.

Will my HBOOT version be supported in a future release of Recovery??

Can I at least get temp-root without recovery? I am really having a tough time figuring this out.

All I really want is WiFi tethering, for which I need at least temp-root.
    09-07-2011 02:13 AM
263 ... 7891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD