[APP] Flash Image GUI - Flash Kernels and Recoveries from normal

joeykrim

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Credits:
birbeck for the usual random java guidance, slushpupie for his previous java guidance, dodgejcr for extreme amounts of testing, and one_love_420 and shift for some great graphics!
testers: JT-, couga6442, happytweak and many others I might have forgot in the furry of three days I built the initial app from scratch.!
Thanks to SDX

Background:
flash_image (bmlwrite) is an extremely useful utility for flashing custom kernels, boot logos and recoveries. This binary has made it possible to easily flash all these items and is used almost everywhere behind the scenes (i.e. in custom recoveries, packaged into kernel /sbin, etc).

Description:
This android application, FlashImageGUI, is basically a GUI interface for the linux binary, flash_image provided by google in AOSP for loading custom kernels and recovery images onto the phone.
This app allows the flashing of kernels and custom recovery images in normal android mode!

Current Device Support:
Full Kernel, Logo and Recovery flashing: Samsung Moment, Transform, Intercept and Acclaim - the s3c6410 series of devices
Full Kernel (Anykernel and boot.img) Flashing and Recovery flashing: HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO, Nexus S/Nexus S 4G & LG Optimus
Full Kernel (zImage) Flashing: Samsung Epic
Full Recovery Flashing: HTC Shift (need testers for kernel flashing)

Specific EVO 3D Support:
Teamwin Recovery
Use my app to easily load the Teamwin Recovery - TWRP.
Download recovery .img to your sdcard, select from the app and flash!
Custom Kernels
Latest version of Flash Image GUI (1.2.0) is tested and working with all versions of Netarchy kernels!
Link for Netarchy's kernels - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1194190

Future Support:
Will continue to test kernels as they are released to ensure compatibility!

Install Directions:
Install process is the same as any other .apk. Download to computer and adb push or mount sdcard on computer and copy over or download directly to the phone. Use any file manager, adb, connectbot/terminal emulator to install.
My preferred method, maybe a bit technical: ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk

Download Locations
Market (99 cents!): Flash Image GUI
Release versions (free from my personal hosting): Flash Image GUI

Any questions, comments, concerns, or issues, please post in this thread or send me an email! Thanks for all the help and support!

FAQ:
Q: Will this app support a marketplace to pick and chose kernels from?
A: No. Use Kernel Manager!
Q: Where are the links for custom recoveries?
A: twrp - [RECOVERY] [EVO3D] TeamWin Recovery Project (twrp) v1.0.3 [08/05/2011] - xda-developers
cwm - http://gamecack.com/evo3d/cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img

Screenshots:
sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-evo3d-50.png

sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-flash-kernel-evo3d-50.png

Please post any helpful feedback. I'm always looking to improve the application!

Last edited:

pobrien7880

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: [APP] Flash Image GUI - Flash Kernels and Recoveries from nor

someone please hellppp! First of all I am a nooob! Ok so I have an evo 3d and I used the HTC Method off trying to root it. I followed all the directions to the tutorial and everything went smooth until i had to enter fast boot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img. It kept saying sending message or sumthin like that. Finally I got it to go to the revolutionary menu and continued to follow the directions to do something with the .zip file. Then it re booted. SO as of now my phone is unlocked with a s-on. Then i downloaded the ROM manager and downloaded the clockwork mod recovery. I ran the clockwork mod then I backed up my current ROM. Only problem is that there are no files on my sd card of my backed up ROM. OK now also it will not boot into recovery. using quickboot or from the bootloader menu. also in bootloader menu it does a little scan and it always says no image found! please can someone help this is driving me nuts!!!!

tes5884

Sep 16, 2010
www.shoeboyz.com
You're not very clear... join us on IRC chat and someone will help you www.webchat.freenode.net channel #htc-evo-3d. Or you can pm me.

someone please hellppp! First of all I am a nooob! Ok so I have an evo 3d and I used the HTC Method off trying to root it. I followed all the directions to the tutorial and everything went smooth until i had to enter fast boot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img. It kept saying sending message or sumthin like that. Finally I got it to go to the revolutionary menu and continued to follow the directions to do something with the .zip file. Then it re booted. SO as of now my phone is unlocked with a s-on. Then i downloaded the ROM manager and downloaded the clockwork mod recovery. I ran the clockwork mod then I backed up my current ROM. Only problem is that there are no files on my sd card of my backed up ROM. OK now also it will not boot into recovery. using quickboot or from the bootloader menu. also in bootloader menu it does a little scan and it always says no image found! please can someone help this is driving me nuts!!!!

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

This beauty has made an otherwise terrible flashing experience on my EVO 3D fun again! I decided to root and rom after updating to hboot 1.5. I was successful in flashing kushdeck's Sense ROM without any issues, but wanted to try out other ROMs as well. I tried a few of Scott's ROMs and could not get wifi or 4G working. I thought I was doing everything right, but I just couldn't get it working. I was about to give up on the whole rooting/roming thing on my E3D but then ran into this little gem. I had Scott's CleanROM DE 1/3 loaded and was having no luck with wifi or 4G again. Downloaded this app and the Kernel that the ROM is suppose to come with and used the app to flash the Kernel. Rebooted the phone and bingo! All is well in the world! Thank you guys so much for putting the work into making things like this that make life better for us inferior users! You guys rock!

One question for you all. Now that I have bcblend v.03 kernel installed, can I flash any sense ROM and expect it to work or will I have to flash the kernel every time I load up a new ROM?

cimarian

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I've used this app to fix the broken wifi & 4g on my e3d with a few different ROMs. It fixes the wifi/4g issue every time, but it also seems to vaporize my cwm shooter recovery each time I flash a boot image, so I keep having to reflash recovery from adb. Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

joeykrim

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site

This beauty has made an otherwise terrible flashing experience on my EVO 3D fun again! I decided to root and rom after updating to hboot 1.5. I was successful in flashing kushdeck's Sense ROM without any issues, but wanted to try out other ROMs as well. I tried a few of Scott's ROMs and could not get wifi or 4G working. I thought I was doing everything right, but I just couldn't get it working. I was about to give up on the whole rooting/roming thing on my E3D but then ran into this little gem. I had Scott's CleanROM DE 1/3 loaded and was having no luck with wifi or 4G again. Downloaded this app and the Kernel that the ROM is suppose to come with and used the app to flash the Kernel. Rebooted the phone and bingo! All is well in the world! Thank you guys so much for putting the work into making things like this that make life better for us inferior users! You guys rock!

One question for you all. Now that I have bcblend v.03 kernel installed, can I flash any sense ROM and expect it to work or will I have to flash the kernel every time I load up a new ROM?
Whether or not you'll have to load a kernel with every ROM depends 100% on the currently loaded kernel and ROM. Some combinations are compatible and some are not. It is important to check the ROM and kernel thread for this dependence before loading, or you might be in for a surprise.
If you're okay with surprises, meaning you have a nandroid backup, then there is no issue and you'll just have to roll with the punches. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine this because there are many ROMs and many kernels available. The decision to make them inter operable is completely up to the developers.

I've used this app to fix the broken wifi & 4g on my e3d with a few different ROMs. It fixes the wifi/4g issue every time, but it also seems to vaporize my cwm shooter recovery each time I flash a boot image, so I keep having to reflash recovery from adb. Anyone have any ideas what is going on?
Never heard of this issue. When you say vaporize your recovery, what exactly does that mean? When you go to reboot into recovery, nothing happens? The stock recovery appears? How are you booting into the recovery? How are you reflashing recovery from adb?

Appreciate all the support and feedback!

cimarian

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Whether or not you'll have to load a kernel with every ROM depends 100% on the currently loaded kernel and ROM. Some combinations are compatible and some are not. It is important to check the ROM and kernel thread for this dependence before loading, or you might be in for a surprise.
If you're okay with surprises, meaning you have a nandroid backup, then there is no issue and you'll just have to roll with the punches. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine this because there are many ROMs and many kernels available. The decision to make them inter operable is completely up to the developers.

Never heard of this issue. When you say vaporize your recovery, what exactly does that mean? When you go to reboot into recovery, nothing happens? The stock recovery appears? How are you booting into the recovery? How are you reflashing recovery from adb?

Appreciate all the support and feedback!
When I try to reboot into recovery, it does a full stock reboot. This happens if I try to boot into recovery from either Quickboot or a full power-down and reboot holding the down volume button. From there I have to boot into hboot, go into fastboot and then flash the recovery using "fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img". From there I can reboot into recovery, but it is obviously a little annoying and cumbersome.

Appreciate any insight you may have!

casiouser

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

I used HTC unlocking boot loader and my phone says it is unlocked. But flash Guide says i am not rooted, what gives?

joeykrim

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site

I used HTC unlocking boot loader and my phone says it is unlocked. But flash Guide says i am not rooted, what gives?
1) Welcome to an HTC device (Many other carriers make this process much easier ..)
2) Unlocking and rooting are two separate things.

Unlocking has to be done first, which allows write access to the internal memory. Once the device has been unlocked, root access can now be copied and stored on the /system partition.
There are lots of guides around on the process for setting up root access. Many consist of flashing a custom recovery and then loading the superuser.zip file. This process works well as the Superuser.zip file will install the Superuser.apk and setup the su binary with the proper permissions.

Hope that helps and appreciate the support!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt