I wanna do this. Pls help a noob.

jsorryman

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Wanna put CleanROM on my 3VO. Have posted before about how I pulled the OS from my Blackberry. Just a few questions, and then if anyone could kinda "hold my hand" for a few that'd be cool.

What is flashing?

What is a kernel?

when I download the ROM, how do I place it on the root of my SD card?

What do I have to know for maintenance/upkeep of the ROM/device?

lfnsr

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Wanna put CleanROM on my 3VO. Have posted before about how I pulled the OS from my Blackberry. Just a few questions, and then if anyone could kinda "hold my hand" for a few that'd be cool.

What is flashing?

What is a kernel?

when I download the ROM, how do I place it on the root of my SD card?

What do I have to know for maintenance/upkeep of the ROM/device?

You need to be ROOTED to flash a custom ROM.

1) Flashing is putting a custom rom, kernel, etc onto the device.
2) The kernel is basically the CPU of the phone. It controls pretty much all aspects of the phone - ie...over-clocking, under-clocking, etc
3) Just put the file on the card and not in a folder
4) Just watch the threads on CleanROM or check Scott's site - Scott's ROMS - Home for updates/new versions.
5) ENJOY!! The ROMS Scott puts together are KILLER!

jsorryman

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
You need to be ROOTED to flash a custom ROM.

1) Flashing is putting a custom rom, kernel, etc onto the device.
2) The kernel is basically the CPU of the phone. It controls pretty much all aspects of the phone - ie...over-clocking, under-clocking, etc
3) Just put the file on the card and not in a folder
4) Just watch the threads on CleanROM or check Scott's site - Scott's ROMS - Home for updates/new versions.
5) ENJOY!! The ROMS Scott puts together are KILLER!

How do I root? Sorry, absolute beginner...

onesie13

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
you should probably go into your settings>power> turn fastboot off. Turn off your phone then hold the volume down + power button to start your phone. You'll enter a screen and on the top it'll give you a hboot number. Rooting methods will be based on what version hboot you have.

jsorryman

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Cool, found the link. Will this void my warranty, even if I return to stock? What should I back up, and how should I back it up? And I gotta make sure to disable automatic updates, yeah?

hitman4274

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
There are guides all over about rooting in hboot1.5,
Yes it voids your warranty, but the it doesn't cover much and imo I would rather be rooted with a custom recovery than have a warranty, and to back up your phone after you obtain root and a custom recovery image then use that recovery to make a nandroid back up.I'm a lucky one and got my 3vo with hboot 1.4, there are special steps to flash with 1.5 so make sure you read up everything you can before attempting to flash anything, I would get you a link to a guide but I'm on vacation no pc with me, Then you can also use titanium back up, mybackup pro, or something like those. I rely on Google to back up my contacts. There's apps to back up your contacts too, after you back everything up on your phone copy those back ups to your pc. Google is your friend when it comes to all this. You can't read enough when it comes to modding something, each phone has a mind of their own and each one is different. After flashing a ROM or kernal its always a good idea to follow the developer and look for updates and/fixes easiest way is to subscribe to the thread. Always read the entire thread (especially posts from op) before attempting to flash something as well.

Sent from my clean sharp shooter

Reactions: ksumanth

jsorryman

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
There are guides all over about rooting in hboot1.5,
Yes it voids your warranty, but the it doesn't cover much and imo I would rather be rooted with a custom recovery than have a warranty, and to back up your phone after you obtain root and a custom recovery image then use that recovery to make a nandroid back up.I'm a lucky one and got my 3vo with hboot 1.4, there are special steps to flash with 1.5 so make sure you read up everything you can before attempting to flash anything, I would get you a link to a guide but I'm on vacation no pc with me, Then you can also use titanium back up, mybackup pro, or something like those. I rely on Google to back up my contacts. There's apps to back up your contacts too, after you back everything up on your phone copy those back ups to your pc. Google is your friend when it comes to all this. You can't read enough when it comes to modding something, each phone has a mind of their own and each one is different. After flashing a ROM or kernal its always a good idea to follow the developer and look for updates and/fixes easiest way is to subscribe to the thread. Always read the entire thread (especially posts from op) before attempting to flash something as well.

Sent from my clean sharp shooter

Thanks, bruh. Appreciate the info. Anyone out there have a link to a guide?

mark1107

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Guys I need help too. Ok i have hboot 1.5. I went to htcs website and followed the directions and now my boot loader is turned to s-off. I still cant get my phone rooted. My only problem is my android-sdk-windows folder is located on my desktop and I can open a command prompt window but evrytime I try to do the adb push recovery.img\sdcard\ it comes back as cannot do this fucntion as adb is not a recognized command. Here are my problems:

1. I dont know how to open a command prompt window to find my android sdk tools file where I put my ruu2.3.2.3 and my recovery.img
2. I keep getting an error that says in cmd window that adb is not recognized.
3. my adroid sdk tools folder is on my desktop. so Exactly how do I type the command prompt words that will open the correct folder so I can push this adb recovery img to my sd card
4. Does my phone have to be connected and just charging to my desktop? Or does it have to be in the fastboot 3 adnroids skateborading at the bottom white screen connected to my desktop?

jsorryman

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Cool. So, rooting my phone is gonna factory reset it. No big deal. When I back everything up, do I back it up to my PC? What program do I use? When I download the ROM and install it on the root of my SD card, do I download it onto a PC or with my phone?

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
What is S-on/S-off?

S-on means that the bootloader is locked; S-off means that the bootloader is unlocked. The goal is to have S-off. What this means is that you can then flash a custom recovery. The custom recovery will then give you the ability to install SU, flash ROMs, themes, etc.

Like others here, I unlocked using Revolutionary, which was with 1.4, so I am not familiar with the steps involved with the HTC methods. Would help you more if I could :)

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You really want to do a nandroid...it backs up your whole system. If you have a custom recovery, you can go back to the "last known good" so-to-speak if something should go wrong.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463