Is it worth it to unroot to update to latest HTC firmware?

Gaurav

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this is a newbie question. :-[ My EVO 3D is running hBoot 1.4 and I finally learned and figured out how to root the device, add wifi tether etc and have been having fun trying root requiring apps etc. But I noticed that a newer HTC frimware is available. I have not installed any custom ROMs but was wondering if it was worth it to unroot and then install the update? Will hboot be updated to 1.5 and will I lose the ability to root? I know there are hBoot 1.5 methods now available but I was wondering if it is advisable to update because there was some important speed/features that are to be gained up updating? Thanks...

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Instead of going through the unrooting process, just download the updated stock rooted ROM and flash in recovery. It is pure stock, just the rooted version with the latest updates. That's what I did until I decided to go with CleanROM_2.7. I would not recommend unrooting, especially since you are on 1.4. While you can re-root, from what I understand the process is a bit more involved.

[ROM] Stock Rooted Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.08.651.3 odex & deodex (10-27-2011) - xda-developers

Reactions: Gaurav

Gaurav

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't even know you could update to the latest stock Rom with root! I'll def checkout CleanRom... :)

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't even know you could update to the latest stock Rom with root! I'll def checkout CleanRom... :)

CleanROM is great and comes with a cool built in feature called ROM Updater (not to be confused with ROM Manager) that gives you even more options to customize your phone. Check out the thread in this section. Since you apparently like Sense and stock you will probably like it because it has the stuff that is good about Sense without the bloat. Enjoy! :D

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
What are the updates? Is it even worth the time and trouble?

The last update had to do with patching holes in security that HTC released. The one before that made it so the shutter sound in the camera could not be turned off and changed the hboot. Of course, the updated stock rooted version the devs release does not include the hboot change. I know that update also did some other things but I can't remember off the top of my head what they were. Those things I listed were just the most notable.

A lot of people who are rooted but remain on stock just want to stay current. They like stock but add hacks like the modded HTC camera, music player with Beats Audio, and wifi tether. I guess whether or not flashing the updated rooted stock ROM is worth it or not is just a matter of preference.

kilroy

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
If you root but stay with the stock ROM, do you lose any data or programs or phone settings, etc.?

I've got hboot 1.5, unfortunately, but haven't been able to find an answer to the question above.

Thanks!

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Rooting doesn't delete anything. It simply unlocks permissions

Right. The act of rooting doesn't make you lose anything. However, once you do root it is highly recommended that you NOT accept any OTA updates because at the least it will close the root loophole and at worst could make your device inoperable. If you are rooted on stock the best way to stay current is to flash the updated stock ROM for your phone type (CDMA or GSM).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance