Unlock, root and install custom Rom on Hboot 1.5 in (3) steps.

taztaz8380

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Unlock, root and install custom Rom on Hboot 1.5 in (3) steps

after installing clean ROM I'm looking to tether my evo do you have a suggested app you've tried and works well. thanks for any input

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Clean ROM has the apps already installed. Use either Wifi Tether or the Sprint Hotspot. (Sprint hotspot will not tether 4g but Wifi Tether will). So you are already all set to go!

Reactions: taztaz8380

taztaz8380

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site

Ok thanks for the info but i have one more question. When there are updates or when its time to install ics do i look for a update to this Rom or do i look for a hole new Rom.

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Ok thanks for the info but i have one more question. When there are updates or when its time to install ics do i look for a update to this Rom or do i look for a hole new Rom.

You will look for updates from the Rom Updater on your phone that came with this Rom. When you choose to download it, it will download to your CleanRom folder on your sd card. Then all you have to do is follow the last steps of the guide again.

Then on your phone:

1. Go to settings>power and make sure fast boot is NOT checked.

2. Power off your phone

3. Boot into the bootloader by holding the (Volume Down) button and press the (Power Button)

4. Once your into the bootloader, highlight fastboot and hit the pwr button.

5. Connect you phone to your pc via usb cable and your phone should now say Fastboot USB.

6. Open the command prompt on your PC (press START and type cmd) In the command window, type: \cd\rootevo3dnew to get to C:\rootevo3dnew).

7. Type the following command in the command prompt: fastboot boot cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img and press enter.

8. Your phone should have now booted into Recovery. From here you can wipe cache/flash zips as you normally would and enjoy the added benefits of flashing custom kernels.

9. On your phone choose (install from sd card) then locate the Rom on the card and flash it!

Much easier than it looks... you will notice its nothing more than plugging your phone into your PC and running the fastboot program. Then just install the update from the CleanRom folder (no need to wipe cash or factory reset) your phone will look exactly the same but have the new update on it.

As for ICS... I spoke with Scott (The guy who makes CleanRom) and he said as soon as Sprint releases it, he will have a Rom for it most likely that same day! So you will still have the ClenRom Rom... but now it will have all of the ICS stuff on it too. Although if you notice... ClaenRom already has many of the features of ICS!

Last edited:

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

taztaz8380

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site

ok thanks again but i hate to be a nag but im having trouble flashing roms. after i unlocked htc method i try to flash cwm following ur steps and all it does is say sending recovery.... and never goes past that. is there a step by step video that i can use

TheOpusFuller

May 28, 2010
www.Germanity.com

So... I've been lurking on this thread and have been checking out the CleanRom thread. I'm extremely nervous about rooting my phone, etc. but I really want to clean up the OS and have the phone run smoother. Sooooo, I'm going to do it tonight. Hopefully I will not screw anything up.

Wish me luck, I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes. Oh and thank you for this guide!

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So... I've been lurking on this thread and have been checking out the CleanRom thread. I'm extremely nervous about rooting my phone, etc. but I really want to clean up the OS and have the phone run smoother. Sooooo, I'm going to do it tonight. Hopefully I will not screw anything up.

Wish me luck, I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes. Oh and thank you for this guide!

Good luck!

TheOpusFuller

May 28, 2010
www.Germanity.com

alright. No go on the root. Already having problems. For some reason my girlfriends windows 7 pc isn't recognizing my phone as a modem when it installs the drivers or something.

Second problem, when I was at the cmd prompt and copied and pasted what was needed for the ADM prompt it just said waiting for device. Nothing more. So.... I guess I give up. Not that knowledgable on this stuff and I'm worried I'll screw something up.

Ugh!

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

@ TheOpusFuller.... don't give up man. Watch the youtube video... sometimes seeing it is WAY easier. It is not terribly hard to do and I believe it is WELL worth it!

As you guys are doing this fresh, please let me know where you got hung up and I will revise the instructions.

hhllc

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm stuck at "waiting for device" in cmd prompt. Any suggestions?

hhllc

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

I don't think the phone is reading the disk image. Does that make sense?

TheOpusFuller

May 28, 2010
www.Germanity.com

I'm also getting hung up at the command prompt. That's basically my only problem. When I type in the first command it just says waiting for device.

Hmmmm.

TheOpusFuller

May 28, 2010
www.Germanity.com

Maybe that's the problem.

Do I need these installed on the pc before I even begin?

Google Android SDK zip:
Java Runtime Environment:
HTC Sync:

I see these on the HTCDEV page but never installed them. This could be the first problem...

TheOpusFuller

May 28, 2010
www.Germanity.com

Alright. Figured it out. It was definitely a driver issue. I had to install HTC SYNC. Once I did that, I was able to type in the commands at the command prompt.

I just finished unlocking the bootloader. Now I'm onto rooting my phone.

My next question is - after I root is it easy to install a rom? I want to install the cleanrom. Have no knowledge on rom installation though.

Hmm..

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

after root, install your custom recovery, then it is on to flashing ROMs.