MeanROM 1.2 battery life worse than stock?

sohungry

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
So, I unlocked, rooted, and installed MeanROM 1.2 on my 3d earlier today. And the battery life I've been getting is terrible.
I've never had my battery go down this fast, even with the same usage I get around 8 hours. And it says that a good portion of the battery went to voice calls, but I talked on the phone literally for three or four minutes today. What gives? :/ Does anybody know what might be causing this bad battery life, or perhaps a fix I could try?

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It can take a day or 2 on a new rom for everything to settle in, you can charge it to 100% go into recovery and wipe battery stats and give that a try. you can here for answers also

[ROM] Feb-16 MeanROM v1.2 - one lean, mean 2.17.651.5 machine - xda-developers

So, I unlocked, rooted, and installed MeanROM 1.2 on my 3d earlier today. And the battery life I've been getting is terrible.
I've never had my battery go down this fast, even with the same usage I get around 8 hours. And it says that a good portion of the battery went to voice calls, but I talked on the phone literally for three or four minutes today. What gives? :/ Does anybody know what might be causing this bad battery life, or perhaps a fix I could try?

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Try warm 2.3! I can get anywhere from 12-18 hours on one charge! There's an app called battery calibration on the market that deletes battery stats also.

Sent from my PG86100

gonk24

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

The battery savings in MeanRom happen when the phone is idle since it clocks down. However, being that the rom has both cores running full time when you are using the phone, it stands to reason that there would be a heavier drain during usage. That's my understanding anyway

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
cpu1 is under clocked to 192 until its needed, so unless your putting it under heavy load its not even called on so i dont think its that drawing the battery down. he needs to charge to100% and wipe the stats and it should be fine

gonk24

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
cpu1 is under clocked to 192 until its needed, so unless your putting it under heavy load its not even called on so i dont think its that drawing the battery down. he needs to charge to100% and wipe the stats and it should be fine

cpu1 is only underclocked when the screen is off. with screen on, both cores are active running the same speed.

From Mike (Rom creator) in the Xda MeanRom thread:
"With MeanROM, both cores only run when the screen is on. With the screen off, only one core is operational and that is underclocked. Also, it appears that Qualcomm designed the CPU to run both cores continuously (at 1.5Ghz mind you... stock is already underclocked). The mpdecision file is an HTC add-on designed to force the second core offline to save power until it is overstressed, then kicking the second core into action. Running both cores actually allows both cores to run at a lower clock speed without ramping up to a higher speed all the time (something that single core operation does) and having both cores online allows for more efficient process queuing which is the reason you see less lag with dual core operation. I've watched the temperature and it doesn't rise significantly from running both cores. Having the screen on raises the temperature orders of magnitude more than the CPUs!"

Also, my previous statement about dual core using more battery doesn't seem to be accurate. having both cores enabled and operational as explained above is more effieceint

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
even tho the second core is online when the screen is on its only clocked at 192 until its needed which just talking on the phone will not ramp it up

cpu1 is only underclocked when the screen is off. with screen on, both cores are active running the same speed.

From Mike (Rom creator) in the Xda MeanRom thread:
"With MeanROM, both cores only run when the screen is on. With the screen off, only one core is operational and that is underclocked. Also, it appears that Qualcomm designed the CPU to run both cores continuously (at 1.5Ghz mind you... stock is already underclocked). The mpdecision file is an HTC add-on designed to force the second core offline to save power until it is overstressed, then kicking the second core into action. Running both cores actually allows both cores to run at a lower clock speed without ramping up to a higher speed all the time (something that single core operation does) and having both cores online allows for more efficient process queuing which is the reason you see less lag with dual core operation. I've watched the temperature and it doesn't rise significantly from running both cores. Having the screen on raises the temperature orders of magnitude more than the CPUs!"

Also, my previous statement about dual core using more battery doesn't seem to be accurate. having both cores enabled and operational as explained above is more effieceint

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Between running faster, more cores, f'd up tweaks that actually hurt performance, and other oddities, a lot of ROMs have things people have no clue about and you'll often see worse battery performance than stock for these reasons.

hitman4274

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
yea, "wipe battery stats" is nothing more than a myth.. it does nothing to help you out...

i would look for the app better battery stats.. and then from there i would charge it up, use it as you normally would and check for wake locks... those are what kill your battery...

and in order for use to really see what is happening to your battery post a screen shot of the battery graph itself...click the top portion of the screen.. (from the screen shot you provided earlier... look at attached pic. for what i mean...

Between running faster, more cores, f'd up tweaks that actually hurt performance, and other oddities, a lot of ROMs have things people have no clue about and you'll often see worse battery performance than stock for these reasons.

i assure you the tweaks made in meanrom are some of the best tweaks out.you can alway go into the int.d folder and read the tweaks to find out what they do... his tweaks actually do very lil compared to what the new base did already... but i guess you are unaware of this.. so please do some research and practice what you preach. and not everyones results will be the same each evo 3d has its own way of dealing with stuff... so what might work for most might not work for you....

lets look at yuour statement real quick...

more cores?? you cant add another core by flashing a rom... the htc evo 3d comes equipped with a snapdragon dual core processor... also... you say "running faster" considering they havent release source code for the kernal and what not... im pretty sure it runs at 1.18 ghz.. which is what the phone runs when its stock?

and even then that speed is actually lower than what qualcomm specs say our processor should run at..
which is 1.51ghz... and all of this was already stated.. so why confuse another person if you already dont know whats going on yourself?

Last edited:

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
i assure you the tweaks made in meanrom are some of the best tweaks out.you can alway go into the int.d folder and read the tweaks to find out what they do... his tweaks actually do very lil compared to what the new base did already... but i guess you are unaware of this.. so please do some research and practice what you preach. and not everyones results will be the same each evo 3d has its own way of dealing with stuff... so what might work for most might not work for you....
Relax. I wasn't talking about MeanROM specifically. If I had, I would have said MR opposed to "a lot of ROMs". Reading comprehension here is key. And most of the issues apply to previous builds where people went into the kernel (since the source was released) and turned it into an embarrassing mess of changes that hurt performance and battery. Trust me, I've practiced what I've preached, and have tried many.

So, might you tell me where this research is available? I assume it's in the same place that has documentation on how "each EVO 3D has its own way of dealing with stuff" which would mean they have different hardware or configurations.

lets look at yuour statement real quick...

more cores?? you cant add another core by flashing a rom... the htc evo 3d comes equipped with a snapdragon dual core processor... also... you say "running faster" considering they havent release source code for the kernal and what not... im pretty sure it runs at 1.18 ghz.. which is what the phone runs when its stock?

and even then that speed is actually lower than what qualcomm specs say our processor should run at..
which is 1.51ghz... and all of this was already stated.. so why confuse another person if you already dont know whats going on yourself?
Obviously I'm not as stupid as you're pretending I am and I was meaning that it fully enables both cores at full speeds all the time, not at all edly making a claim that somehow an additional piece of hardware manifested itself into the chipset.

As for faster.. sure, previous kernels and settings (as I mentioned) ran things faster than HTC intended them to. And I'm very well aware, since I know what specs are, that the chip can run at 1.5ghz, but have you ever took a step back to wonder why HTC is running it at 1.2? Maybe there could be a chip that ran at 3ghz.. would it make sense for a phone? No, not if you intended on having a battery that lasted more than 3 hours.

Anyway.. I was just letting the original poster know that just because a ROM is custom doesn't mean it's developed with battery life in mind. Usually people make changes, add init.d scripts (and most of them are usually smart to delete, rather than keep them since some are dumb and degrade real-world performance), and other things just to hit some dumb artificial benchmark.. Of course, they don't do battery benchmarks.. but whatever.

So, just try out different ROMs and just pay attention to how things perform. I used scrossler's Cleanrom most of the time, deleting init.d scripts when he introduced them and I noticed that it destroyed mp3 performance at the expense of better fake benchmarks. But then he deleted them and I haven't had to even touch what he included with CleanROM reborn 1.0 since it has great performance and battery life, no init.d scripts that mess things up, and music and files work fine

thetunicakid

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I had to total opposite results with mean rom. I actually have ran several different ones from about 1.2 was first one i used up until 1.7 I have 1.8 saved but I have yet to flash it. I had some of the best battery life yet with his rom. Not one single complaint and nothing but good reviews. Not one single issue. I did read were few people had problems when he dropped the single core down lower that some had issue with. My phone didn't have this problem but he did change back to standard min freq when in sleep mode. I loved the mod he made with both cores full on when using. If a person say used there phone heavy then sec they were done shut phone off til they went back to using it then yeah perhaps there battery might be affected slightly but would benefit greatly with added performance. You also would not get the benefit of when phone went to sleep mode of going to single min mode as well to gain some serious battery saving. Everyone has different using habits but not mean rom fault. Is stock better than mean rom? Is cleanrom better? Depends who you ask we all have preferences. For my habits and uses it is the best deodex rom available and best battery life. Does it mean that it is fact for everyone? No everyone is different and use it differently as well. Honest truth? None are really that much better or worse than the other and all have good benefits in there own way. Mean, warm, virus, chogardjr, viper , clean name em all. None of them are bad and none are more than fraction better or worse than other. Try em all and choose your fav and give thanks and send donation if you are able. They all have unique stuff to offer some more than others. What best for me isn't for you. Doesn't make my choice or yours right or wrong better or worse. Apple oranges......