AOSP on evo 3D?

p00kienrayray

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm now considering returning my nexus for an evo when it launches. I love my phone, its everything I expected EXCEPT this whole radio signal issue. I'm sure there will be some type of fix eventually, but my 30 day window is closing fast. Besides, how HTC handled themselves recently is quite commendable.

Now off to my question: how likely and soon could there be a stock vanilla gingerbread rom for the evo 3d? This was perhaps the main reason i bought a nexus. I dont wanna let go of all the features the ns4g has over the e3d, but this feature alone would make me switch as I'm not a fan of sense.

Is CM7 as close as it gets to a stable stock aosp without the bloatware? Forgive me, I haven't really messed with custom roms much since my nexus one days.

I also haven't really messed with aftermatket launchers like adw or launcher pro. Think I can come close to mimicking vanilla this way? I'd still have to modify things like getting rid of bloat apps, using stock keyboards, etc.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm now considering returning my nexus for an evo when it launches. I love my phone, its everything I expected EXCEPT this whole radio signal issue. I'm sure there will be some type of fix eventually, but my 30 day window is closing fast. Besides, how HTC handled themselves recently is quite commendable.

Now off to my question: how likely and soon could there be a stock vanilla gingerbread rom for the evo 3d? This was perhaps the main reason i bought a nexus. I dont wanna let go of all the features the ns4g has over the e3d, but this feature alone would make me switch as I'm not a fan of sense.

Is CM7 as close as it gets to a stable stock aosp without the bloatware? Forgive me, I haven't really messed with custom roms much since my nexus one days.

I also haven't really messed with aftermatket launchers like adw or launcher pro. Think I can come close to mimicking vanilla this way? I'd still have to modify things like getting rid of bloat apps, using stock keyboards, etc.

If memory serves, you can choose which launcher you want to use in the system by closing sense, and then choosing the aosp launcher. Aside from that, the bloat ware, you can usually remove it after you get root access.

CM is based off stock aosp, and they try to build everything from scratch, so yes, its going to be close to stock aosp.

Hope that helps!
=)

momentandroid

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Now that the bootloader is unlocked, there will most likely be aosp roms for it. Just look at the evo development, theres plenty of them. There will likely be CM on it also

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Wait a minute. Nobody said the EVO 3D will have an unlocked bootloader. Odds are good that it was already too late in the game to unlock the bootloader. And there is no guarantee (although it's entirely possible) that HTC will have an OTA that will unlock it.

Yes, you can change the launcher to anything you want, but Sense will still be there. Will that make the phone slow? Probably not.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I would really love to see the 3D get some AOSP love, I do wonder how it will work with the 3D screen though. Does anyone know if the 3D is a thing the phone does to whatever is on the screen or does the ROM and apps have to built especially for 3D?

p00kienrayray

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Its only specified apps and media that are 3D.

I've decided to hang on to my ns4g as long as I can bc it runs smooth like butter. But that $75 trade in for any smartphone deal radio shack has for the 3D sounds mighty tempting (I have a busted palm pixi).

momentandroid

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Wait a minute. Nobody said the EVO 3D will have an unlocked bootloader. Odds are good that it was already too late in the game to unlock the bootloader. And there is no guarantee (although it's entirely possible) that HTC will have an OTA that will unlock it.

Yes, you can change the launcher to anything you want, but Sense will still be there. Will that make the phone slow? Probably not.

there has been multiple people that emailed peter chou and asked if the 3D will be unlocked
heres an example thread that talks about it http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1099026

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
HTC.jpg

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oops. LOL. Thanks for setting me straight guys. Then yes Cyanogen is as close to stock as you can get outside of a Nexus (unless someone builds a complete bone stock AOSP build from source).

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Toastcfh (Twitter) has said openly that he will be involved in the root process and bringing of CM to the evo3d.
For those of you that dont know toast, he is a GREAT developer and makes CM7 for the evo and evo shift, along with helping on various other builds. He is a master of kernel crafting, and is a well respected member of the android dev community.

If i get a Evo 3D, 1/2 my decision is based off of him coming too the phone. :)

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I also love the asop ROM's and just returned my Nexus for a EVO 3D. I'm glad I did. Love the EVO, It's faster than the Nexus and the signal issues do not exist on the 3D.