exactly what does rooting do to your phone?

ooak

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I came from palm(hp) webos. Im used to the homebrew community and how easy it is to do. Im also hearing alot about rooting an android device. Im currently waiting for the evo 3d( which would be my first android experience).I have heard about rooting devices, and would like to know exactly what rooting does to the phones. If these ?s have been answered, can u pls let me kno what thread to read. Any help would be appreciated.

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
With the reported ability to remove bloatware simply by deleting it, would it be accurate to say that the biggest reason to root would be for custom themes?

Also a new (to-be, Friday) Android user.

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
^What Mike said.
Putting a new rom on a phone is like getting a new phone. It changes everything and bumps up the life of any android phone. Right now my Hero has gingerbread....it didn't even get froyo:D and makes the phone run better than it ever would staying stock
With custom roms we could still use this phone 3 years from now and it would still be great. Also rooting brings great root apps like wifi tether, titanium backup, and crossfire(which should allow any phone to play tegra 2 exclusive content) and more

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
another big plus would be wifi tethering, tho I'm new too, I'd assume most of the roms would have it.

the question I have is... which rom groups are the most stable, heh

mike44pl

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
another big plus would be wifi tethering, tho I'm new too, I'd assume most of the roms would have it.

the question I have is... which rom groups are the most stable, heh

Well the most well known ROMs are Cyanogen Mods. But if you're new to android I would suggest you stick with Sense, because it's really simple and nice for new users... After like a year or so after getting used to android and wanting to try new stuff on your android you can try some other ROMs, that's my suggestion.

Reactions: sledge007

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I came from palm(hp) webos. Im used to the homebrew community and how easy it is to do. Im also hearing alot about rooting an android device. Im currently waiting for the evo 3d( which would be my first android experience).I have heard about rooting devices, and would like to know exactly what rooting does to the phones. If these ?s have been answered, can u pls let me kno what thread to read. Any help would be appreciated.

Check this page out, it has all your rooting questions and desires answered

http://www.androidcentral.com/root

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Don't root yet ...your new enjoy the software first, for at least a couple months.

Sent from my Sexy Nexus 4G

Reactions: ooak

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
Well the most well known ROMs are Cyanogen Mods. But if you're new to android I would suggest you stick with Sense, because it's really simple and nice for new users... After like a year or so after getting used to android and wanting to try new stuff on your android you can try some other ROMs, that's my suggestion.

heh, not too afraid of rooting here ;) Though, I avoid it if I can, however... eventually I get that itch to mess with the phone. I should have time while someone breaks the bootloader. And I'm mostly wondering to prep for ICS =)

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Waiting on an Incredible S from Bell myself, Friday they say....well girlfriends phone, I'm still slugging it out with a Pre and thanks OP for starting this one(thread), and to those that responded. Trying to get a little ahead of the game before we get it. :)

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
heh, not too afraid of rooting here ;) Though, I avoid it if I can, however... eventually I get that itch to mess with the phone. I should have time while someone breaks the bootloader. And I'm mostly wondering to prep for ICS =)

I'm with you on this one! I had my EVO for about a month or two before I rooted and only waited that long cause I wanted to make sure I understood the process. Once I bit the bullet I became a ROM flashing beast :p

There are alot of ROMs out there to fit almost everyone's needs. I'm currently going between a hybrid Sense 3.0 ROM and an AOSP ROM (the one in my sig). I like the AOSP ROM cause as of right now the Sense ROM doesn't have any kernels, AOSP battery life is much much better for me :)

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Can you tether to your computer through a wire if you don't root?

I know the option was there on the EVO but the functionality is blocked unless you are paying for the tethering service. Another good reason to root is you can load a wireless hotspot app and use it for free. I do recall an app that worked for cabled tethering without being rooted, it was called PDAnet, I believe.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with just about everything in this post. Cyanogen makes 1 of many well known ROMs for the EVO, and I'm sure that will continue to be the case for the EVO 3D. I rooted my phone after just a few months of getting it simply because I wanted the "option" of having something new. There isn't anything "easier" about Sense, IMO, it's just a different UI, so things are arranged and organized differently and the options are different. Rooting really doesn't have anything to do with wanting something new as you can root and stay with the stock ROM if you choose. Rooting just gives you the option to load ROMs when you are ready for something different. That being said, I do plan on using the stock Sense 3.0 UI for a while, because it's new and I like new things. However, this will get old, for me, after a while and I will want to try other ROMs.

If you're interested in knowing, here is a list of all the more popular ROMs for the EVO:
http://evo4g.roms-db.com/

This list isn't indicative of what will be available for the E3D, but hopefully some of the bigger developer names (Cyanogen, Kushdeck, Virus, eVoKings, Misfit, Tyzing, flipzmode, aamikam, etc...) will all support ROMs for the new E3D platform.

Last edited: