Returning phone due to poor signal strength?

wburbage

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I hate to even be thinking about it but I may need to return my EVO 3D. I really love the phone but the cell signal I've been getting is really bad. On my old Samsung Moment I would get between 3-4 bar (out of 5) while I was at work. At the same desk the EVO 3D fluctuates between zero and one bar. Not only do I have to worry about getting calls or texts but that's gotta be taking a hit on the battery.

I also notice that while I'm home (I live in an area that does not get a good Sprint signal) the EVO 3D doesn't seem to be picking up my Airave. The Airave is sitting on top of my computer and while I'm working on the computer the phone will register 1-3 bars.

Everything I've been reading says HTC phones are known for having poor reception which has me thinking this isn't the phone for me.

Is there any chance HTC or the dev community can tweak the software to make this better?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I hate to even be thinking about it but I may need to return my EVO 3D. I really love the phone but the cell signal I've been getting is really bad. On my old Samsung Moment I would get between 3-4 bar (out of 5) while I was at work. At the same desk the EVO 3D fluctuates between zero and one bar. Not only do I have to worry about getting calls or texts but that's gotta be taking a hit on the battery.

I also notice that while I'm home (I live in an area that does not get a good Sprint signal) the EVO 3D doesn't seem to be picking up my Airave. The Airave is sitting on top of my computer and while I'm working on the computer the phone will register 1-3 bars.

Everything I've been reading says HTC phones are known for having poor reception which has me thinking this isn't the phone for me.

Is there any chance HTC or the dev community can tweak the software to make this better?

I could be mistaken, but doesn't each devices have to be specifically added to the airave ? I would call customer support and see if they can help you out with that.

As for the poor signal strength, each phone has slightly different antennae, which pick up frequencies differently.

I've had nothing but good experiences with HTC devices, but always had poor reception with my launch day pre.

I would make sure to update PRL and Profile just to double check everything is kosher there.

The dev community might come out with some fixes, but only time will tell. There's big progress but it still might be a while till we can flash any ROMs or user fixes.

wburbage

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have done the PRL, Profile and HTC updates so I'm up to date on all of those fronts. I did give Sprint a call last week about the general signal issues I've been having and they said they'll send a tech out to the towers to "take a look". Not sure what to expect there, if anything.

I don't believe the Airave is specific to any one device but it's worth a call to them. When they sent it to me they said any Sprint customers in my area would also benefit from the signal which is why I'm thinking that. It's worth the 10 minute call though. Now if I can only figure a way to get an Airave for the office... ;-)

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Are you actually having call quality issues or is the just an issue of not having enough bars? The reason I ask is because on my OG Evo I would have 1 or no bars and some places and could still make calls just fine. My 3D actually shows better signal, according to the bars anyway.

There is a way to view your signal strength, I believe going through ##DATA# not sure where the post is though.

wburbage

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I believe its truly an issue with the signal strength. I use the weather lock screen which displays the location you're current in. During the day, while at work, it'll rotate between 4 different towns. So the phone is constantly searching for a signal. I was also questioning if its a case of the display or actual.strength but to me this clearly indicates that its not just the display... I could he wrong though.

There is a widget that will show the signal strength which i'll reload. Do you what a decent level would be and what strength the phone would start looking for another tower?

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Found where to view the signal strength. From the dialer dial ##debug# select EVDO Engineering. With three out of six bars my Rx Signal Strength is 92 and my Rx Power is -89.50 dbm. Lower is better here but I don't know the ranges. The lowest I have ever seen on my Virgin Mobile aircrard is 80 dbm and the highest was 119 dbm which was giving me very slow speeds. Maybe this will help you.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I know you say you updated the prl. but what version does your prl say on it? settings>aboutphone> software information>more prl version? what does the number say?

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I suggest that everyone check what version your evo 3d prl is on. I work for sprint, and I often see the 3ds with the wrong prl on them.. My evo had the wrong prl when I got it.

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I suggest that everyone check what version your evo 3d prl is on. I work for sprint, and I often see the 3ds with the wrong prl on them.. My evo had the wrong prl when I got it.

You give people advice to check the PRL ... But you don't give the number the PRL should be on .

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Your prl is off should be 60679... A simple trip to the sprint store should fix this. Its in the cellebrite machine, and every store should be updated by now.
So, if that's the case, you're saying we are unable to rely on the phone's update settings tool? I say this because I just ran a PRL update. Are the PRLs regional?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Question.
Is everyone's PRL supposed to be at 60679?
I'm in Phoenix and I'm at 21079 also, and it says it's up to date.

I'm in MD, so it's evidently not regional. Either we're up-to-date, and 60679 is for another phone, or there is something really wrong with the PRL system on the EVO 3D.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
So, if that's the case, you're saying we are unable to rely on the phone's update settings tool? I say this because I just ran a PRL update. Are the PRLs regional?

Even when I updated my prl, it stayed on 21079 until I used the cellebrite to update it... Updating it from the menu settings doesnt always seem to work..

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm in MD, so it's evidently not regional. Either we're up-to-date, and 60679 is for another phone, or there is something really wrong with the PRL system on the EVO 3D.
Yea I dont believe its regional, but could be wrong.. Almost every evo 3d I work on at the shop has an off prl. The complaint is usually dropped calls, and not getting emails. This is when I know its another 3d with an off prl before even looking at it.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

The prl system is messed im guessing.. I worked on 2 evo 3ds today, and they both came in with 21079 prls, and once I updated them on the cellebrite, everything worked... Hell even my evo's data wouldnt work when I first got it. My prl was off, and once I updated it, it worked great... The cellebrite system is usually very up to date. Infact the 3vo 3d was just added to the prl list just last weekend. I will get on the sprint employee forums to check out other service centers tomorrow to see if they are having the same issues..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad