Limited memory?

S.

Banned
Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
When I go to Total Memory there is only 279MB available. I don't understand what is using 519MB? If I had to guess I would say HTC Sense is using it?

When the method for rooting is made publicized can I change the allocation?

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Rooting method has been made public.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...315-how-root-evo-3d-temp-root-7-1-2011-a.html

It won't be until we are able flash ROMs that you can hope to really improve that. Sense is a very heavy application/system. Until you are on a Sense-less ROM, you can expect a bunch of memory being eaten up. With 279MB left, you don't have a whole lot to worry about though. The 3D has plenty of memory.

Reactions: S.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
When I go to Total Memory there is only 279MB available. I don't understand what is using 519MB? If I had to guess I would say HTC Sense is using it?

When the method for rooting is made publicized can I change the allocation?

Is there something you're planning on using that is going to take up the almost 300MB left?

A lot of that is also probably cache. There's a reason that almost everything you do on the phone happens near-instantly. I'm sure you can find a way if you root it to make less things pre-loaded, so if you look at a number it can be larger.. though you'd have to be willing to put up with the rest of the phone being sluggish.

The memory is there, it's being used. IMO it's doing exactly what I was hoping it would be doing. Having 500MB free would simply mean the OS isn't doing its job.

Reactions: yibrushn

strat1227

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Is there something you're planning on using that is going to take up the almost 300MB left?

A lot of that is also probably cache. There's a reason that almost everything you do on the phone happens near-instantly. I'm sure you can find a way if you root it to make less things pre-loaded, so if you look at a number it can be larger.. though you'd have to be willing to put up with the rest of the phone being sluggish.

The memory is there, it's being used. IMO it's doing exactly what I was hoping it would be doing. Having 500MB free would simply mean the OS isn't doing its job.

Lol that's like saying you were excited to find out that Vista used over 1gb ram just to exist. IMO that means it's poorly optimized. If the OS alone for a mobile device needs half a gig ram then something's going wrong (cough, sense, cough)

Looking forward to having my CM7 back lol

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Lol that's like saying you were excited to find out that Vista used over 1gb ram just to exist. IMO that means it's poorly optimized. If the OS alone for a mobile device needs half a gig ram then something's going wrong (cough, sense, cough)

Looking forward to having my CM7 back lol

Go to Settings>Applications>Running Services

The RAM at the bottom of this section is the accurate one. The one in Task Manager app is not.

HTC has been made aware of this misconception and they will be updating it to fix it. No worries.

Reactions: S.

S.

Banned
Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

I don't like the idea that the OS is hogging over half the memory that is available to you.

Go to Settings>Applications>Running Services

The RAM at the bottom of this section is the accurate one. The one in Task Manager app is not.

HTC has been made aware of this misconception and they will be updating it to fix it. No worries.

Okay, this makes much more sense, when I go to the running services it says only 189MB is being used and that 580 is free. Huge differences between the built in task manager and this.

Note: It looks like HTC sense is using a very small amount of memory while Swype is using up triple that >_> (both processes are still using a small amount this just shows how wrong I was in the first post.)

Swype(11MB) Sense (3.4MB)

playersnoopy

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Task Manager just shows every app that's loaded in memory... does not mean all those apps are actually running... the running stuff are in that Running Services.

Every app you open will get loaded into memory until you have no room and it starts replacing them usually in some sort of queue order. It's a good thing for apps to be in memory already for the most part.

Reactions: yibrushn

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Task Manager just shows every app that's loaded in memory... does not mean all those apps are actually running... the running stuff are in that Running Services.

Every app you open will get loaded into memory until you have no room and it starts replacing them usually in some sort of queue order. It's a good thing for apps to be in memory already for the most part.

Yea, but the way HTC coded (or miscoded) their task manager app is really throwing people off and making them think that the phone is using up all this crazy amount of RAM.

They will be fixing it, so that's the good news...

yibrushn

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
this preoccupation with free ram is tough for me to understand. On my 4G evo the only time I actually didn't have enough ram was when I tried to load a giant excel file and I got an out of memory error. Now the EVO had less app memory than you have FREE. 300 megs on a phone covers anything and everything our phones can do.

S.

Banned
Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
this preoccupation with free ram is tough for me to understand. On my 4G evo the only time I actually didn't have enough ram was when I tried to load a giant excel file and I got an out of memory error. Now the EVO had less app memory than you have FREE. 300 megs on a phone covers anything and everything our phones can do.
Actually I have 580MB free. >_>

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey