high display percent while barely using?

cocoleveo7686

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Got phone yesterday. Been off charger for 6 hours, sent maybe 40 text looked online for 10 mins. Display says 64%, phone idle is only 9%???

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Display eating battery?

My battery life doesn't seem to be nearly as good as what other people are getting, and it always seems to be due to the display. I've gone through two or three complete discharge cycles, it hasn't really helped, neither has calibrating the battery.

Here's the breakdown for part of yesterday:

20% after 6h 5m 3s on battery:

73% Display (1hr 34m time on)
12% Voice Calls (7m 53s)
6% cell standby
4% Phone Idle
3% Android OS
2% Facebook

Up time - 7:20
Awake time - 4:06

Here's the breakdown so far today:

Roughly 65% after 3h 48m 51s on battery

64% Display (31m)
12% Voice Calls (2m 49s)
10% Cell Standby
8% Phone Idle
4% Android OS
2% HTC Sense

Up time - 27:42:20
Awake time - 15:39:01

I have the display set to around 25 or 30% brightness, I have gmail and an exchange mail account set to push email, otherwise, everything is set to update once a day. I have all of the radios off other than 3G and GPS. I've mostly just browse the web, with some texting and some facebook. I use the stock task killer more or less everytime i finish using the phone.

Is this much drainage normal? It seems rather subpar compared to what other people are getting. Any thoughts? Is this phone a dud?

Last edited:

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: high display percent while barely using??

That is only saying that of all of the battery that has been used since you pulled it off of the charger, 64% of that was from the display using the power.

The large displays on these phones use a lot of power when they are one. This is not a problem.

anckentucky

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Display eating battery?

My battery life doesn't seem to be nearly as good as what other people are getting, and it always seems to be due to the display. I've gone through two or three complete discharge cycles, it hasn't really helped, neither has calibrating the battery.

Here's the breakdown for part of yesterday:

20% after 6h 5m 3s on battery:

73% Display (1hr 34m time on)
12% Voice Calls (7m 53s)
6% cell standby
4% Phone Idle
3% Android OS
2% Facebook

Up time - 7:20
Awake time - 4:06

Here's the breakdown so far today:

Roughly 65% after 3h 48m 51s on battery

64% Display (31m)
12% Voice Calls (2m 49s)
10% Cell Standby
8% Phone Idle
4% Android OS
2% HTC Sense

Up time - 27:42:20
Awake time - 15:39:01

I have the display set to around 25 or 30% brightness, I have gmail and an exchange mail account set to push email, otherwise, everything is set to update once a day. I have all of the radios off other than 3G and GPS. I've mostly just browse the web, with some texting and some facebook. I use the stock task killer more or less everytime i finish using the phone.

Is this much drainage normal? It seems rather subpar compared to what other people are getting. Any thoughts? Is this phone a dud?
I have kept my 3G off when I'm on wifi because wifi uses much less battery. I've also found that using auto brightness on the display works just as well as setting it to 33% or so. Also having noticed my sisters constant facebook and twitter pushing notifications to her phone it seems to use a lot more battery than mine does because I have mine turned off. I went a full 24 hours without a charge on the second day after fully charging the battery from scratch. I have also done about the same amount of use as you.

cocoleveo7686

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

That is only saying that of all of the battery that has been used since you pulled it off of the charger, 64% of that was from the display using the power.

The large displays on these phones use a lot of power when they are one. This is not a problem.

i thought with my original evo that the "phone standby" was the highest percent all the time...maybe not. Its been about 10 hours since unplugged and im still at about 75% but thats with only about 50 texts, 5 minutes call, and about 5 minutes on the internet.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Got phone yesterday. Been off charger for 6 hours, sent maybe 40 text looked online for 10 mins. Display says 64%, phone idle is only 9%???

I think many people are reading the percentages wrong. When it says Display 64%, it means that the display used 64% of the power used. For example lets say that you have used 50% of your total battery power, your display would have used 64% of the 50%.
When Display says 64%, it is not telling you that the display has used up 64% of your total battery.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Those percentages have nothing to do with how much actual power is used. Just a percent of the total power compared to all the other stuff using the battery. It all has to add up to 100% somehow. You cant lower the display percentage without raising something else. Just keep that in mind.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

i thought with my original evo that the "phone standby" was the highest percent all the time...maybe not. Its been about 10 hours since unplugged and im still at about 75% but thats with only about 50 texts, 5 minutes call, and about 5 minutes on the internet.

The Evo 4G is much more efficient than the 3D is as far as CPU and software go so you really can't accurately compare them.

cocoleveo7686

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I'm happy so far 12 hours and still at 52% I viewed about 5 minutes of green hornet since last post, about 50 more texts. Also I am in a low signal 1 bar for a hour. As long as I get 12 hours on a moderate use I'm happy. Just thought if the display said 64% meant it wasn't shutting off bc it says about 1 hour used

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar