Issues: Bluetooth Media Audio

keoni8888

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

This used to work fine but I can't figure out why it "broke"...

I am trying to play music from my 3D to a media audio device (in this case a headset that is A2DP compliant and worked in the past). Unfortunately, the sound plays out of the 3D's speaker instead. Bluetooth indicates that it is paired and connected with the device. Everything looks good. I have tried unparing/paring, resetting, etc. When I adjust the volume it even indicates that I am accessing BT "Media Volume - Playing through Bluetooth".

I am not sure what to do next to troubleshoot.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
John

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
When the device is paired check to make sure that both music and phone are selected under options of the device. Also make sure that the music program is not open when when you connect to the device.

Not sure if that will fix your issue but those things have worked for me in the past.

keoni8888

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, the check box for media audio on the BT devices is checked. The phone also indicates that the BT device is connected and using media audio. And, the volume control indicates that I am controlling volume on the BT device. And the audio still comes from the internal speaker...

Really not sure what to look at next here - and technically-inclined folks out there have fun ideas?

Thanks

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Not to state the obvious trouble shooting techniques, but sometimes the basic things get overlooked. Have you tried powering the 3D down and back on? If that doesn't work, then I'd try removing the BT device and running through the pairing process again. Aside from the two basic things, I don't really have much else to add. If you get your hands on another BT headset device it would be interesting to see if that one works properly or not.

keoni8888

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Not to state the obvious trouble shooting techniques, but sometimes the basic things get overlooked. Have you tried powering the 3D down and back on? If that doesn't work, then I'd try removing the BT device and running through the pairing process again. Aside from the two basic things, I don't really have much else to add. If you get your hands on another BT headset device it would be interesting to see if that one works properly or not.

Sorry - I should have been a lot more specific as to what I have tried already. Here's the list:

- I have restarted the phone many times, and even removed the battery to ensure a fresh restart.
- I have tried un-pairing and re-pairing the BT device.
- I have tried different A2DP media audio devices (to rule out something with the BT device itself).
- I have tried to uninstall any audio manager programs or the like that could even have a remote possibility of messing with Bluetooth.

It is quite odd. The phone reacts to me turning off the BT device by pausing music (as it should), it indicates that I am adjusting the BT volume when connected to a BT device, it just simply always plays through the device speaker. Oh... and to make it even more strange, it works fine to make calls over a BT headset - audio and call control work normally.

Thanks for the input! Anyone else want to pose some possibilities?

Thanks

Last edited:

jtec255

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a sound id series 5 bluetooth and when I connect it to my evo 3D to play google music it has a similar issue but oddly it works every time. Mine starts playing in the bluetooth then goes out a couple seconds later. It was frustrating at first but now The only thing I do to get it to work is when it goes out I just press the call button on the bluetooth and a few seconds later the music starts playing through the bluetooth again its weird but it happens like that so you can try that I know our bluetooth devices aren't the same but you can give it a shot but the turning on/ off of the bluetooth definitely doesn't do anything hope I helped a little

keoni8888

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Do you use YouMail? I finally found a pattern in my BT problem... It would work fine after a reboot until I used YouMail and that is when it would die. I believe that it is something with the audio being re-routed from the BT device to the speaker by the client app and then never resetting.

I now use an app for You Mail called "Better YouMail" and it allows me to manually direct where the audio goes. If I ever notice that the BT audio is not working properly I just start up Better YouMail and set the audio back to BT. Kinda funky but at least I have a fix instead of waiting for the LONG reboot.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: icronic

icronic

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The Better YouMail solution worked for me, but I somehow suspect Better YouMail to be the culprit. In the app, selecting BT does not stick, the app always returns to speaker.

I'm really only replying to let others know your solution worked. I hate threads that end in a possible solution and no one bothers to confirm working/not working.

wally44

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with 4.2 and 4.3 Android OS on my Samsung Galaxy S4. On occasion and usually after a
reboot, it will connect with a bluetooth audio media device and play through it. It doesn't matter what the device is, the
behavior is the same. In that case I can adjust the bluetooth volume, but most of the time the GS4 is connected but the
audio only goes through the internal speaker, and the volume control is just the speaker. If I turn off the bluetooth connection,
I get a brief hesitation in the playback. The other profiles for bluetooth seem to work ok. I'm trying to figure out what I
can do to the the connection to work. I have the phone rooted, so I have many options, if I knew what they were.

I know this is an old post, but it is quite consistent with what I'm seeing.