DIY : Custom Colored Capacative Buttons.

creektrack

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Disclaimer : I am not responsible for any damage you do to your phone during this modification, and I am not held liable if your warranty becomes VOID.

If you would like your capacitive buttons to be a different color, other than white, or even if they are too bright and you want to tone them down a little, then this is the mod for you...It does require taking the phone apart, so if you are afraid of doing this and voiding your warranty, than stop now and wait till your warranty is over...

You will need your EVO 3D, some transparent self-adhesive vinyl, a T6 torx, a small phillips, and a razor blade or scissors to cut the vinyl...
attachment.php

Turn the phone off, remove the battery cover, battery, and SD card...You will see 6 screws, the 4 in the corners circled in green are the T6 torx and then there are 2 in the middle circled in red, those are the small phillips...Be aware, the bottom right screw has a piece of tape on it that you cannot get off, this is their "warranty tape"...
attachment.php

Once you have the screws removed, you need to remove the back cover with either a plastic case removal tool, or I just used my finger nails...If you need any assistance on any of the dissasembly part, there is a tear down video already made on YouTube...

Now you need to access the bottom circuit board circled in green, just gently lift it and push it a little to the right and fold it back, but be careful not to push it back too much so that you don't break the ribbon attached to it...You only need it pushed back enough to access the 4 LEDs that light the capacitive buttons...
attachment.php

You can see in the next pic the 4 LEDs are already covered in the vinyl...Just cut a small strip of the vinyl and place it directly on the LEDs, but once again, be careful, you need to press the vinyl onto the LEDs, but don't break anything...I circled where the LEDs are located...
attachment.php

And here you have it...Green capacitive buttons...I will be doing my wife's 4G in pink and I will be making a walk through on that one as well...You can get any color vinyl you want, or even smoked vinyl to "dim" the lights...
attachment.php

creektrack

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone...It's actually a pretty easy mod to do, you just gotta get up the courage to go through with it...But I swap LEDs on circuit boards all the time, so I'm very familiar with this kind of stuff...

grotty

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks creek! Will be doing first thing in the morning.. Do you know if any colors show up better/brighter? Or are they all about the same?

creektrack

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks creek! Will be doing first thing in the morning.. Do you know if any colors show up better/brighter? Or are they all about the same?

Not sure, you can usually double the vinyl to get a deeper tone of the color...I will be doing my wifes 4G in pink in a few days, and they also have gray film that would actually dim them for you, and now that I put the green on mine it definitely tones the brightness down, and looks great...

creektrack

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Good looking out I just did mine with a silver completely eliminated all my light leakage and cut down lights my 50% killed to bird with one stone Thanks for post

That's why I made it...I knew it would help with the brightness that everyone complains about, plus it looks great...

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Were you able to remove the black sticker over one of the screws without damaging it? I know in most cases it wont affect warranty but some techs once they see that its been removed or tampered they void your warranty. That thing is a PITA to remove cleanly.

creektrack

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Were you able to remove the black sticker over one of the screws without damaging it? I know in most cases it wont affect warranty but some techs once they see that its been removed or tampered they void your warranty. That thing is a PITA to remove cleanly.

It was only on the bottom right screw and seemed very thin, so i wasn't able to remove it without damage...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34