Returned my 3D yesterday

Asbj?rn

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence and was looking forward to SGS2 but I'm also thinking that once we get root it'll be a beast of a phone. It kind of a tough decision for me since keeping the 3d will not allow me to do another upgrade for 2 years. 3 days left to decide.

I'm in the exact same position. I have til the 24th to decide. The other 2 phones I'm considering are the Thrill 4G and the GS2. As mentioned above, HTC is very good with rolling out updates - both from Google and HTC. Also, their hardware is second to none. Hopefully, either of the two competing devices are released this week.

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Returned

No the phone has not been officially announced but I am fairly comfortable waiting for it. The 3D was a good phone but after using it for nearly a month I really wanted to get back to basic software. I hate sense. OG EVO has a lot of life left in it for me. I know they have announced it, I think the unlock will come. I just wish they had moved a little faster. They left the public in the dark way to long on this with canned answers. I may be one person but I am going to do what I think is right. It may not matter to them but they will not be rewarded with my little bit of money for it. Everyone has a choice and I choose to try and do business with companies I think are working to keep customers happy rather than just make a dollar. The flip side of all of it is I think NFC will be something I will get more use out of than the 3D.

Are you sure the SGSII isnt gonna be Touchwized up???

CompudiZZaL

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

sorry guys.. returned mine on the 11th. had till 24th. could not stand ... two updates the day of release.. almost a month ahead promise it will be released unlocked... then all the issues with the phone.. then HTC say's we will update it two months later(which was after 7-24-11) which will be too late.. also why the hell did they make the portrait screen size smaller with a higher resolution.. too many miss typed text and emails. I use this phone as my secretary. If I told my customers I would sell them a product operating.. then say oh sorry we will get to you in 2 1/2 months .. we are working on it.. MANNNNN!!! I will be getting the SGS2 rooted the first day (already downloaded the ROM) with OUTTER BOX CASE... no more fake A** promises and some old Sense.. it gets old after a while.. come on.. why is the OS only 78mb and sense 247mb.. waste of time. HTC SENSE HTC PHONE HTC PROBLEMS why do you think so much DEV SUPPORT to change it to what is liked by the masses. SGS2 ALL THE WAY.. NEW TECHNOLOGY FOR THE FUTURE.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
After 2 3D's and it's weak radio...not to mention the lousy external speakers and tilted screens, I decided to get me another OG EVO because the wife confiscated my original when I upgraded. Don't get me wrong, the E3D is a nice piece of hardware but the screen tilt just ate me alive with a spork. There's nothing like talking to the wife on speaker phone and her sounding like she's in a tin cup and starring at the tilted screen waiting for it to drop the signal so I can call her back......priceless.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I know the EVO 3d has some signal issues. My wife had this problem for a few weeks, but it got better signals recently. The phone is great for its hardware and sense 3.0 is really good. Maybe not for others but I like it. And wait, did someone say thrill 4g? Um different carrier. Switching carriers for a specific phone is the most idiotic thing to do. Coverage and plans 1st, then phones. I myself have wanted the SGSII, but after I read it had the same res as my EVO 4g, I felt very sad. I like the screen but it lacks a few things the Motorola Photon 4g has. After playing with the Droid x2 with its tegra 2 CPU, I was left with my jaw dropped. Their was not one game I threw at it that it couldn't handle. N64 games played fantastic with sound and almost no lag. EVO 3d is a great phone, but I love playing games and I need power so I'm getting the photon 4g. Good luck to the rest with their purchase.

focr6

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
you wont regret it... got an epic, and cant wait for the GSII. a friend of mine saw one of his friends playing with it, and it has no keyboard. i hate my keyboard on the epic, only reason why i got the epic was because of the SAMOLED screen, thats it. my BF has the Droid Charge, and that screen its just beautiful( and LTE is the s*). EVO screen got nothing on my samsung, and all my friends with EVOs agree. sorry, i am way too picky when it comes to screen and video quality... oh one last thing, Epic has the best camera. and my BFs charge camera, is even better... best quality pics! even at bars n clubs :D

EMT J

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Well I pulled the trigger and returned my 3D yesterday. I know a lot of people said they would if they were not unlocked before the 30 days was up. Just wondering how many others are actually going to follow through with it. I will say overall I liked my og EVO better. I can say the 3d aspect of this phone was better than I had expected. I just hate the overlays the manufactures put on phones. I need my phone to be unlocked so I can run it the way I want to. I think they will come out with an unlock but I drew the line and held to it. Looking forward to the Samsung Galaxy S II.

Not really understanding this. All Android phones that are non nexus have overlays, skins, whatever you wanna call them. And as far as I know, the galaxy s II isn't shipping with an unlocked bootloader so you'll be back in the same boat.

Ngmasterj

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK, there was a news article a little while back saying that Samsung was under a shortage for their exynos processor because of how well sales were doing for the sgs II. Some sgs IIs were shipping with Tegra 2 processors instead, which is not as good as the snapdragon found in the Evo 3D. Chances are if Samsung already is having issues with shortages, guaranteed the US variants of the phone will come shipped with the Tegra 2 instead of the exynos. And if I know Samsung's shady business ethics, they'll release the US variants without telling anyone about the changes. With the slowness of phones coming out and soon to be outdone with the next big thing, Samsung may not try too hard to out do the competition and rather rush the device on the market to make a quick buck, most likely with missing features like the first generation of galaxy s phones did. Of course, this is all speculation and while I am tempted to return this phone, there's no way I would count on Samsung to be a worthy alternative.

LilTmac2003

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The SGS II is a beast of a phone when it comes to hardware, and so if the 3VO. But one of the reasons I got the 3VO is because HTC does a great job when it comes to software as well. Not only with Sense, but rolling out the latest version of Android as well.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
For those that returned the phone due to locked bootloaders, that is just old news. It will be unlocked before october officially and way before september unofficially since the sensation bootloader has already been unlocked.
For those that returned their phones because they got bad signal and are waiting for sammy sg2, well, htc is known to get better signal than samsung. So I don't think that is going to help. Not to mention samsung is horrible with updates. I would love to try the samsung galaxy line but unless root and custom roms are available its just not worth it. At least with htc you get constant updates and if you can't root or don't want to root the phones usually are still really good plus htc sense is awesome.
All I know is that I love my evo3d even without root. With root this phone is going to be a beast of a phone.

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Sgs2 will not have a locked bootloader because samsung is one of the only manufacturers who doesn't lock them by default. All the original sgs phones were unlocked from the factory ready to root & rom.

The only thing the galaxy line needs is more developers. Most of the dev's bought OG Evo's and so there were few developing for the Epic on Sprint. We have some great rom's for the Epic, but no workable CM7 or MIUI due to lack of dev resources. (There are CM7 and MIUI roms, but they need a lot of work and are not near final)

I will not personally buy a new phone until I can verify strong dev support and progress being made on AOSP kernels. That being said, I will be waiting until the GS2 is released to compare it against the E3D. If the E3D is unlocked by then I think it will be a fair fight and we can let the best phone win.

ProCision

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Reading all these threads on people not liking there new e3d, taking it back for something else is really making me think twice on going to the shack and trading in my OG eVo. My OGE has a ton of life left I am sure of that but I wont be able to get $150 for it in the near future.

I wonder if the FCC made HTC turn the radio down do to the theory of brain tumors developing from cell phones. If that is the case then all phones will have less radio strength then the previous model's. There has to be a limit to radio power and that is controlled by the FCC. Is there something that is printed that shows how much the power the radio uses compared to the OG Evo?

I also live in an area that does not have 4G yet; even though Verizon has LTE in my area. So I am kind of discouraged to get an other 4G phone when I haven't even used 4G on the phone I have. I know that doesn't make much sense but I feel that I haven't used 100% of what my OGE is capable of. It all goes back to getting the trade in value of my OG Evo.

I am also out of contract with Sprint so switching company's wouldn't be an issue but I like Sprint and the price of their plans versus the cost of the plans at Verizon.

What to do, what to do....

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not fond of Sense myself... but would have installed ADW or Launcher Pro in the meantime until the community is able to start producing ROMs :)

Jay005

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I was almost tempted to return mine for good & go back to my OG EVO after being on my third 3D right now. The first one I got a few days before launch had two hardware issues with it so I returned it & Sprint sent another one. The second one had hardware issues as well so I sent it back but I decided to give it one more shot & if the third one was messed up, then it would be back to the EVO until the next device that caught my eye came out. I like the phone for it's capabilites but I don't feel that this was the best hardware by HTC. I believe if it wasn't for the software capabilities and features on the 3D, I would've went back to my OG EVO after the first return.

FrostyGTA

May 30, 2011
Visit site

My sentiments exactly. My enjoyment of my phone isn't contingent on it being "unlocked". If pure, uncontaminated Android is so important to a person, why buy a phone other than a Nexus? :confused:

Seriously, that's like buying a V6 Camaro and being pissed off/complaining that it doesn't have the performance of a V8....

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

Seriously, that's like buying a V6 Camaro and being pissed off/complaining that it doesn't have the performance of a V8....

I dont get that either... Thats like me saying I cant stand touchwiz and go get a samsung and complain about it... You obviously know what your getting!

lowside

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Well I returned my Evo 3D yesterday and I am very sorry I sold my evo. The Evo 3D was so easy to return, and no one was buying one either, now when I think about it there was not a lot of people at the store when I initially purchased it. in all I saw 3 on the morning of the 24th.
Personally I do not believe that the Evo 3D is worth me losing my upgrade status over because there are to many better equipped phones set to come out in the next few months that far out weigh this device. After going into an AT&T store and playing with the Samsung infuse I was really impressed with the screen clarity and brightness, how light and thin the phone felt and it seemed just as responsive as my Evo 3D.
The part that hurts is the fact that this phone came out before the Evo 3D. The Samsung gs 2 is supposedly better than Samsung infuse and already there is a better version of that slated to be released real soon. I hope that the Samsung gs 2 hits sprint real soon. The Evo 3D is over rated and some reviewers have said that you lose screen size because the phone has more clarity now. To me this sounds pretty weak when you can buy a 52 inch LCD TV that went from 720p to 1080 and is the same size or as they put it aspect ratio, I dont know just a thought.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay